General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail ground clearance strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:55 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Softail ground clearance strikes again

Picked my Deluxe up from the dealers on Saturday after having the Freedom Performance Declaration Turn out pipes fitted and stage 1 tune.

Went for a ride with my son today, who is a supermoto nut. I don't normally corner that hard but he was pushing me a bit and the right floor board touched down, nothing new there, then hit a bump mid corner, and heard a different scraping noise. Sure enough when we stopped for breakfast, found I had re-designed the lower pipe, and they've been on there for 48 hours.

I don't ride that quick after losing my bottle a few years back on sports bikes, but obviously that bump was just in the wrong place with the bike leant over.

He laughed and said I should buy a KTM660 then I wouldn't keep slowing him down.

Cant decide whether I'm annoyed that my brand new pipe is dinged up or, whether is was just bound to happen at some stage, and that is with the higher suspension fitted.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm an ex-sportbiker as well, which is why I decided on a Dyna because they are better handlers. People always ask me why I chose a Dyna, because I'm a big guy. Bites that it happened right after you put the new exhaust on, but what-ya-gonna-do? **** happens I guess.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard road kings don't have that issue...

Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Colorido
This is true. Maybe I should have taken that. But then the 103 is so much quicker, at least in a straight line.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

At least you didn't have a lowside crash because the weight was transferred off of the rear tire.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

No I caught the weight on my knee slider.

Ah no hang on, I don't do that anymore.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The softail deluxe, softail slim, softail fatboy low are the lowest sitting softails and therefore has the least amount of ground clearance and lean angle. You can improve the lean angle by adding a shotgun air suspension to the rear and progressive shocks up front. With the shotgun suspension you can adjust your ride to any number of settings. It is true that softails are not designed to be sporty and that fact has been beaten to death but that is why it is a true cruiser because it sits low, doesn't shake, has the vintage Harley look, and the vintage cruiser ride. If you wanted to be at all sporty a softail is not for you. There's a lot of road king dudes here that will be happy to see you trade your deluxe in for a road king

Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM
bp03
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exhaust on my 13 black line and did the exact same thing about 2 weeks after installing them...oh well, doesn't really bother me. Adds character lol.

Did you have to modify the rear heat shield to get it to fit? I had to remove a good 1.5-2 inches of material on the shield to get it to clear the heads cooling fins

Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 27,633 Likes on 9,199 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorido

That's because no one's leaning a Road King in the corners.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:22 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
Picked my Deluxe up from the dealers on Saturday after having the Freedom Performance Declaration Turn out pipes fitted and stage 1 tune.

Went for a ride with my son today, who is a supermoto nut. I don't normally corner that hard but he was pushing me a bit and the right floor board touched down, nothing new there, then hit a bump mid corner, and heard a different scraping noise. Sure enough when we stopped for breakfast, found I had re-designed the lower pipe, and they've been on there for 48 hours.

I don't ride that quick after losing my bottle a few years back on sports bikes, but obviously that bump was just in the wrong place with the bike leant over.

He laughed and said I should buy a KTM660 then I wouldn't keep slowing him down.

Cant decide whether I'm annoyed that my brand new pipe is dinged up or, whether is was just bound to happen at some stage, and that is with the higher suspension fitted.
Personally I would keep the ding as it will always remind you of that day riding with your son.

Quick Reply: Softail ground clearance strikes again