General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoulder surgery (Mumford procedure) recovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Shoulder surgery (Mumford procedure) recovery

I've been putting off getting this surgery for several years. I have bad arthritis in my right shoulder, bone spurs, impingement, etc.

The pain isn't getting better. Actually it's slowly getting worse. So, I am considering going through with it this winter.

I don't want to give up any more riding season than absolutely necessary. Has anyone had this done? How long to recover enough to ride a full day?

I am also kind of a fitness nut. How long before I can get back in the gym...weights, running, etc?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:41 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I tore my rotator cuff a couple of summers ago and when they finally decided to do the surgery, it really only kept me off the bike a couple of weeks. In fact, the vibration from riding actually made it feel pretty good. But that first week especially, do exactly what they say to do. I made the mistake of reaching into the fridge on my 3rd day from surgery and grabbing the gallon of milk. I dropped it and went to my knees pretty quick. Thought my arm was coming off my body.

That said, I live with a little pain every day. Some days are worse. But it hasn't kept me off the bike. Not sure I could say that if I had apes.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

I had major surgery on the right shoulder several years ago ( fell down the basement stair and "hung" myself by my arm between the banister and the wall after rotating almost 180° ) on Christmas eve. I tore the rotator in two places, tore the bicep ligament, partially tore two others and disrupted bone spurs ). Surgery was about a month later. The first few days were very uncomfortable, then physical therapy began. Fortunately I was able to go there three times a week. I was religious about the regiment and did exercises twice a day ( morning and evening ) everyday at home also. Sometimes it was excruciating. My therapist was a "hard-nose" and I believe that was a major contributing factor to my recuperation. I was on the scooter in the spring and had very little pain. I am now 100% recovered and the "bad shoulder" is by far better than the unimproved left shoulder. DO THE THERAPY

Old 08-02-2015, 11:02 AM
hungry horse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly about the Mumford procedure.....but I had shoulder surgery in Apr of this year. I had bone spurs, arthritis, and bone on bone rubbing (rotator cuff was good). I could barely get a T-shirt and could not push open a door. Surgery was a breeze, no pain, just in a sling for 4 weeks. I started back in the gym in mid July. I hadn't been able to go for about 2 years. I didn't realize how weak my shoulder was....Any kind of pushing (bench press and etc) was very painful to start with, but better now. It's getting stronger and better by the day. I was able to start back riding after about 6 weeks with no problems. I wish you luck and hope you have as smooth of a recovery as I did. If mine never gets any better/stronger, it was all worth it....No more pain now!!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I've had both of mine done. I would guess 6 + weeks to be able to ride without fear of re injury

Old 08-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what they find in their. My last two surgeries, same shoulder, ended up being open instead of arthroscopic. ME I'd looked fairly normal on both occasions and on both occasions the ligaments and tendons were shredded. Both times he used pig skin, surgical grade stuff, to see tendons back together. When they use something foreign it takes longer for it to heal. I was in a sling for 2 months both times.

The first surgery,a putti Platt, I was out of the sling and in PT within 4 weeks.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:49 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that most people recover fully, but I'm not one of them. I've torn both rotator cuffs twice - 4 surgeries in all. The latest was February. This time it's so bad that I sold my bike. I'm still have very limited strength, modest range of motion and some pain. I've been religious with therapy - all 4 times. Just at a point where the damage is too severe to risk riding. If my right arm can't extend fully, has no strength, can't grip and my fingers still tingle from nerve damage it's time to "hang 'em up", and that's just what I did.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 PM
greendragon52
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Had shoulder surgery in '12. Bone spurs, inflammation and bicep tendon had to be re-attached. I was recently told that I am bone on bone now and will eventually need shoulder replacement surgery. Range of motion was severely limited and I had to stop working out, couldn't even do dumb bell bench presses because of the pain. Was out of commission for about 2 months. Definitely do physical therapy as recommended. As for working out, talk to your doctor and follow their directives. I was able to return to working out with some minor limitations. (IM me if you want more info). As for riding, I had the surgery in February and was able to get back on the bike in May without any problems.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:10 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the replies. For the record. The Mumford procedure is when they go in and take about 1/4" off of the end of the collarbone, to allow a bit more room at the shoulder.

Sure as hell hope I'd never need a new shoulder! God bless you if you did

Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Had shoulder surgery in March of last year. Four separate tears; one was a full body tear of the bicep.could only repair three, and used four anchors to tie it all together. StI'll have some issues and pain, but I ride when I can.

Quick Reply: Shoulder surgery (Mumford procedure) recovery