General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question...what is protocol?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM
tjhanes
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie question...what is protocol?

i've only been riding for a month, and already on 2 different occasions i've been cruising, when random rider would pop up out of the blue and ease up behind me and simply stay there for as long as we are on the same road.

The first time i thought it was a gang member who thought i was invading his turf or something (yes, i watch too much SOA ) and couldn't figure out why this brawly looking dude was following me. 10 miles later, he takes an exit. (whew) Before exiting he pulled up next to me, gave me the down nod of the head, and then proceeded to his exit. That last gesture left me feeling very relieved. But, being a newbie with only a week or so under my belt, it was a little stressful for me, as i didn't want to vary speed too much, or swerve left or right too much (I was in right track, he was in left track about 10ft back). I didn't want to look like the newbie that i was, lol.

Same thing happened to me today, but without the parting head nod.

When it happened today, rather than zip and zoom through traffic like i normally would, I felt like I needed to tone it down for my new "friend" that was riding with me. So i just cruised until he turned, then took off.

So my question is, is this normal? where random bikers going in a common direction will form a spontaneous "pack" to ride in? What is protocol? Should i be giving some sort of acknowledgement, or do i just continue to ride as normal?

Thanx,
Tj

Old 08-03-2015, 06:03 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Ride like you want to ride. You are not responsible for your newly acquired "friend".

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Just ride your own ride. I've had riders fall in behind me for years now, I've fallen in behind other riders as well, all part of the ride. This past Saturday after a great ride in northwest Michigan in the curves around Lake Michigan I was charging down US27 at 75 MPH, I ended up with 5 others behind me heading south and we all staggered out and rode together for nearly an hour, fun to see the bikes in my mirrors So long as the riders are in a staggered formation and keep a respectful 1 and 2 second distance it's all good... motorcycles have a tendency to attract other motorcycles

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ride your ride, like others said. If you're not comfortable with them back there, stay in the center of your lane. They'll get the hint eventually (unless they are as new as you) and move on. Hopefully by changing lanes before trying to pass.

That said, if I come upon a group riding, I keep my distance so not to make them nervous about having maybe a newb back there. Then at the first stop we come to, I strike up a conversation and ask if it's okay to tag along. After they've seen me ride respectfully for a distance, I've never been turned down. Its a great way to meet new friends and form riding buddies.

And it is my opinion, two bikes are easier for idiots to see. Three even better, etc. Doesn't mean you won't run into (hopefully not literally) some idiot that decides to take out the whole pack.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have done the same thing you did. Now if they get all crazy and ride like an idiot, I'll get away as soon as I can

Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Ride your ride, like others said. If you're not comfortable with them back there, stay in the center of your lane. They'll get the hint eventually (unless they are as new as you) and move on. Hopefully by changing lanes before trying to pass.
And it is my opinion, two bikes are easier for idiots to see. Three even better, etc. Doesn't mean you won't run into (hopefully not literally) some idiot that decides to take out the whole pack.
Originally Posted by Strahley
I would have done the same thing you did. Now if they get all crazy and ride like an idiot, I'll get away as soon as I can
Well said. I'll pull in line with another rider or group unless they are acting like 'tards and not crowd them. If they give me some sort of indication that they don't want me riding with them I'll go my own way.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im gonna have to say they just feel its better for cars to see 2 bikes. I personally don't allow people I don't know to ride anywhere near me. unless I know you. but then again I don't like anyone walking within 10 ft of my bike so lol

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

If I come up on another rider, I will stay staggered behind him and stop behind him (still staggered). If they want to talk they can wave me up next to them. If not, I'll stay a distance behind until they turn off somewhere.

When someone is behind me, at a light, I will usually wave to them to come up next to me and tell them, if they want to pass, go ahead and let them take off first.

But I will not pass and I will stay a respectful distance behind them. Well, if its a two lane going the same direction, then I will pass in the other lane. On a one lane if the person is behind me and looks like he really wants to go, I'll signal, pull over and wave for him to pass. Just common sense I guess.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I don't pull along anyone at anytime, moving or stopped. And I don't want it, like it or expect it from anyone else. If they want to go around me and there's another lane, they can use it. If there's not...then it's okay to go by me.

As for the OP thinking they're "gang members", I doubt any club members are pull along beside you because I doubt they want to be associated with you. And if they are, keep your distance.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by traffic jam
If I come up on another rider, I will stay staggered behind him and stop behind him (still staggered). If they want to talk they can wave me up next to them. If not, I'll stay a distance behind until they turn off somewhere.

When someone is behind me, at a light, I will usually wave to them to come up next to me and tell them, if they want to pass, go ahead and let them take off first.

But I will not pass and I will stay a respectful distance behind them. Well, if its a two lane going the same direction, then I will pass in the other lane. On a one lane if the person is behind me and looks like he really wants to go, I'll signal, pull over and wave for him to pass. Just common sense I guess.
Common sense, as well as legal. At least here in MN, you're allowed to ride in the same lane side by side if both riders agree. I'd never assume that a stranger agrees. I have hag a couple of interesting stoplight conversations with strangers, but they pulled up in the adjacent lane.

Quick Reply: Newbie question...what is protocol?