General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tickles me people doing there own work on 2 wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Tickles me people doing there own work on 2 wheels.

i have been around equipment, cars ,motorcycle,boats most my life. Been a certified mechanic. Been in business for over 34 yrs.made some mistakes along the way, always tried to take care of them .
But reading some of these threads makes me shake my head.
I see people bitch about dealerships. But they work on their 2 wheel motorcycle with out the correct tools , taking parts off they don't need to to do the job . Don't know the difference between inch lbs and foot lbs . Read where they stripped out drain plugs, cover screws ( they say tork bolts suck ) just have to use the correct size , a good one and an impact driver helps . ( you don't have to have the best tools but get good ones , and a service manual. Then get on on the forms and , I broke this or now it won't start , I don't have a 60 dollar manual but I spent 25 k on a motorcycle. I do understand that some of the things dealers charge for is outrageous. (But it also takes a lot to run a business.)
I wonder how many people actually do the services on their cars and truck ? They have 4 wheels under them.
The reason I refer to 2 wheels and 4 . Is that 4 wheels are much more forgiving then 2
Hey nothing wrong with working on your motorcycle. There was a time that you had to be part mechanic to ride one . I had an 81 FLH for a while she spit and sputtered a couple of time but she never left me stranded. Oh remember the trouble with the bag lids on them? Never a recall for them.
At least the forms are entertaining.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:16 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,666 Likes on 2,676 Posts

whawuszat?

So you're against people working on their bike, but you support them working on their bike and sometimes on their cars and trucks more than their bikes, but not if they don't own a manual, but they only have to have the manual if they spent $25k on their bike. And businesses are expensive! When you make my money for me, you can tell me how to spend it.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:19 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Sometimes

Sometimes you just gotta fix it till it's broke! Just sayin!!

Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Ripplingh2o
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the PR in your name doesn't stand for Public Relations!!!

Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
Been in business for over 34 yrs. made some mistakes along the way,
Well isn't that the way we all learn, by trying - maybe fail - try again and succeed? You made mistakes on customer vehicles but you didn't tell them to take their car to a competent mechanic did you? Of course you didn't; you learned by fire and corrected the problem.

We ALL make mistakes, so get off your high horse and go ride your bike. Oh, and stop and buy a Snickers bar.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,882 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I work in a mechanical business.

I do my best to give each customer an honest deal. I make money, the company makes money, the customer gets a fair deal.

But, every day, I see people get ***-raped by people that call themselves "professional". I'm not just talking about charging a high price, I'm talking about outright theft from people.

So if someone makes a few mistakes along the way to learning, so be it. They still will come out way ahead in the long run.

If someone chooses to have someone else do the work, that's OK too. But check everyone that touches your stuff.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

That's the way to learn, tear into it and see what it's made of. The one thing I can't stand to hear is I CAN'T DO THAT. You may not want to do it and let someone else do it, which is fine.
The Good Lord gave most of us them same arms, legs, brain etc to work with. How we use them is up to us.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:00 PM
diaedy
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PRrdglide

I hear where your coming from. I do not agree with all the neg responses you just got as I did not take it that way they are referring. Anyway, I have been there,done that. 74 yrs old and have had 31 HD to date. Just got a 2015 street bob as it's a little easier at my age to toss around with the wife on.
Fixed most of my own as I was a marine mechanic for close to 50 yrs. It also tickles me but we are all indiviguals and different in just about every way.
Have a GREAT day and read between the lines with most of them.
diaedy

Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
i have been around equipment, cars ,motorcycle,boats most my life. Been a certified mechanic. Been in business for over 34 yrs.made some mistakes along the way, always tried to take care of them .
But reading some of these threads makes me shake my head.
yadda,yadda,yadda,
If you guy's didn't charge $100 per hour we'd be willing to let ya do some work, but ya gotta bend a guy over every time he set's foot in the shop!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

What are the forms that are so entertaining?

Quick Reply: Tickles me people doing there own work on 2 wheels.