General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member from CT...no bike...yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:32 PM
ianbword
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New member from CT...no bike...yet

Hey guys..let me start off by saying I grew up having ATV's and dirtbikes but as our land got developed I stopped riding. Maybe like 10 years ago I owned a 97 GSXR 600 but that thing had a death wobble like **** on the highway. Got scared and ended up selling it lol..I should of kept it and fixed it

Past few years ive been messing around cars, current one is a 88 thunderbird Turbo coupe with some goodies...

But i've been getting bored with it and have no desire to pump any more money into it. I'm in the process of getting a clutch done it and then slapping a FOR SALE sign on it. Or maybe look for a worthy trade of an HD if I can find somebody. Its a bit of an odd vehicle but fun to drive and sticks out.

Had a convo over the weekend with a rider that really got me thinking. His deal was getting older bikes as a project. I believe he has like 5 bikes and one of them being an Ironhead Sportster (I think). I've always been a fix up the old stuff vs buying brand new kind of guy. He went on how much he loved riding and it really had me thinking about it. I need to get a bike

So right now until things are in order I plan on doing my homework on what bike will work for me. Looking for something simple, not huge but big enough to put a passenger on if necessary, something that's not gonna break the bank, and a motor that's reliable...I know im asking for alot lol.

Im in Connecticut and I look forward to learning as much as possible from you guys

Old 08-10-2015, 01:39 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,155 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Welcome!
Where you at in CT? I'm in Waterford.

What's your realistic budget?
I know of a few for sale here 'n there...private dealios.

A lot of help here from various members. Quite a bit of knowledge on the boards.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 PM
ianbword
Advanced

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Welcome!
Where you at in CT? I'm in Waterford.

What's your realistic budget?
I know of a few for sale here 'n there...private dealios.

A lot of help here from various members. Quite a bit of knowledge on the boards.
From Beacon Falls...which is near Nauguatuck. After I sell this car which might take a little while..id imagine my budget might only be like $2000-$2500. Of course I could just wait and save after that though. But I don't expect something pristine or something that doesn't need work. Again if I found a trade that might work too depending on the bike obviously.

Thanks for the warm welcome I hope to join you guys soon

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Well as you as you realize you'll be getting a fixer-upper...that budget is realistic.

Example...here is an older Sportster that I quickly found in CraigsList...
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/5155164260.html

2,500 bucks...it runs. Tons of used Sporty's out there in the 3000 price range..many under 3k.

I'm a fan of older anyways.

Next size up...a "big twin"....like a Dyna model. You can find some older ones in the 3500-4500 range...

Over your way..a nice iron-head Sportster.
http://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/5157733283.html

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-10-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
ianbword
Advanced

Damn I need to hurry up and get my shi* together lol

Quick question..what are the characteristics of the older motors? Im so lost with them all...panheads, shovelheads, ironheads, ect. Not sure which ones I should be looking for.

Realistically should I be looking for a Dyna if I know ill have a passenger here and there?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ianbword
Damn I need to hurry up and get my shi* together lol

Quick question..what are the characteristics of the older motors? Im so lost with them all...panheads, shovelheads, ironheads, ect. Not sure which ones I should be looking for.

Realistically should I be looking for a Dyna if I know ill have a passenger here and there?
Well.....
You have the Sportsters....they have smaller engines, but they're smaller, lighter bikes also, and usually quicker. They can be tossed through the turns super sport like. I love taking my wifes Sporty for a quick rip. But I'm 6'5" and normally around 210-215 lbs...so it's a little cramped for me after more than a half hour. I have ridden 2-up with her on the back..there's enough room to get it done, she's small...5'5" and 135lbs or so. Keeps the ***** squished in yer back.

Big Twins...you basically have Dyna chassis (FX), you have touring bike frames (FLH)...like Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Glides, and you have Softail models...FXST...various front end some with FX front ends some with FL front ends (FLST)...a rare few with Springer front ends.

Dyna chassis..generally the next step up from Sportster...it's like a big sportster. Totally fine for 2-up. Probably your best bet if you don't think a Sporty will work.

Touring bike...the "glides"...big of course.

Softail...old school looking..notice you cannot see any shocks in the rear? Fakes a "hard tail" look (shock is hidden under seat sorta). You sit "lower" in them...you feel like you're sitting IN the bike...very laid back ride. Opposed to Dynas and Glides..where you sit on top...you sit "ON" the bike. Plenty of room for 2-up.

Engines...don't worry about Panheads...or prior to the the Knuckleheads...they're too far and few and valuable..and collected.

Shovelheads...love 'em. The classic Harley galloping lumpy idle..and great sound going down the highway. Mid 60's up til early '84.

EVO engine...many say the best engine Harley made. From mid 84 til '99. Still has quite a bit of the classic Harley sound.

Twin-Cam..."twinkie"...from 2000 to present. Started carb'd for first few years, got the fuel injection from then on.

Study the basic chassis types. Figure out what you want. Try to see how they fit you. If you can, sit on some at the dealership. If you can (dunno if you're licensed or not)..ride some at the stealership to get a feel for the types.

One thing to remember...pick the bike that seems to be in good shape...the basics to make the bike fit you can all be changed. Seat. Bars. Foot Controls. Those are all able to be changed to make the bike fit you.

There is a lot to learn in the forums here.Enjoy your quest.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 08-10-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I just finished a 5 week search and ended up with a 2007 Sportster with the 1200 engine. Earlier year's don't have rubber mounted engines and vibrate a lot so be aware of that. Lots of 2007s in the 5K range. Also has EFI if that matters. Craigslist definitely had the best bang for the buck. I actually almost bought on last week in CT. Happy hunting!!

Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,124 Posts

welcome...I'm a couple towns over in Cheshire.

There's a bike shop in beacon falls I drive by all the time, he seems to occasionally have stuff out front in various condition with "for sale" signs on them

used bikes seem to bring a higher premium here in the northeast than in other parts of the country, if you're willing to travel a little, you can find some "deals" down south and west of here. keep an eye on craigslist, especially in a couple months. soon as the weather drops to the 60's you'll see bikes moving from people looking to upgrade next year, or just not bother with the winter storage.

keep in mind that pre '84 bikes are going to require a bit more maintenance to keep them running well. The evo's are going to require less daily care than ironheads, flatheads, knuckles, pans or shovels. The reality is with your budge you'll be looking at ironheads, shovels, evos (both sport and big twins) and maybe a neglected twin cam

If you're looking to wrench and ride, don't be afraid to find something that's been down. Used tanks & fenders are cheap and even on this site you can score some free take off parts as people upgrade.

good luck, if I can help at all, let me know

Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM
ianbword
Advanced

Originally Posted by tehan2
welcome...I'm a couple towns over in Cheshire.

There's a bike shop in beacon falls I drive by all the time, he seems to occasionally have stuff out front in various condition with "for sale" signs on them

used bikes seem to bring a higher premium here in the northeast than in other parts of the country, if you're willing to travel a little, you can find some "deals" down south and west of here. keep an eye on craigslist, especially in a couple months. soon as the weather drops to the 60's you'll see bikes moving from people looking to upgrade next year, or just not bother with the winter storage.

keep in mind that pre '84 bikes are going to require a bit more maintenance to keep them running well. The evo's are going to require less daily care than ironheads, flatheads, knuckles, pans or shovels. The reality is with your budge you'll be looking at ironheads, shovels, evos (both sport and big twins) and maybe a neglected twin cam

If you're looking to wrench and ride, don't be afraid to find something that's been down. Used tanks & fenders are cheap and even on this site you can score some free take off parts as people upgrade.

good luck, if I can help at all, let me know
Sup man!!

I know one of the guys in that shop, really nice guy and very knowledgeable. I appreciate it hopefully I can get something before the winter. And no im afraid to wrench a bit as long as I got some help from my friend "google".

Old 08-11-2015, 01:24 PM
ianbword
Advanced

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Well.....
You have the Sportsters....they have smaller engines, but they're smaller, lighter bikes also, and usually quicker. They can be tossed through the turns super sport like. I love taking my wifes Sporty for a quick rip. But I'm 6'5" and normally around 210-215 lbs...so it's a little cramped for me after more than a half hour. I have ridden 2-up with her on the back..there's enough room to get it done, she's small...5'5" and 135lbs or so. Keeps the ***** squished in yer back.

Big Twins...you basically have Dyna chassis (FX), you have touring bike frames (FLH)...like Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Glides, and you have Softail models...FXST...various front end some with FX front ends some with FL front ends (FLST)...a rare few with Springer front ends.

Dyna chassis..generally the next step up from Sportster...it's like a big sportster. Totally fine for 2-up. Probably your best bet if you don't think a Sporty will work.

Touring bike...the "glides"...big of course.

Softail...old school looking..notice you cannot see any shocks in the rear? Fakes a "hard tail" look (shock is hidden under seat sorta). You sit "lower" in them...you feel like you're sitting IN the bike...very laid back ride. Opposed to Dynas and Glides..where you sit on top...you sit "ON" the bike. Plenty of room for 2-up.

Engines...don't worry about Panheads...or prior to the the Knuckleheads...they're too far and few and valuable..and collected.

Shovelheads...love 'em. The classic Harley galloping lumpy idle..and great sound going down the highway. Mid 60's up til early '84.

EVO engine...many say the best engine Harley made. From mid 84 til '99. Still has quite a bit of the classic Harley sound.

Twin-Cam..."twinkie"...from 2000 to present. Started carb'd for first few years, got the fuel injection from then on.

Study the basic chassis types. Figure out what you want. Try to see how they fit you. If you can, sit on some at the dealership. If you can (dunno if you're licensed or not)..ride some at the stealership to get a feel for the types.

One thing to remember...pick the bike that seems to be in good shape...the basics to make the bike fit you can all be changed. Seat. Bars. Foot Controls. Those are all able to be changed to make the bike fit you.

There is a lot to learn in the forums here.Enjoy your quest.

Damn thank you so much for that breakdown ..sounds like a Sportster might not be a good fit. Maybe a Softtail or even a Dyna if its in the budget. A buddy of mine who owns a Wide Glide is gonna help me wrench on the car and then once its driveable again, slapping a for sale sign on it .

Also shot the shi* with a guy who owned a Goldwing trike last night. Super nice guy and didnt try pushing any type of bike just general advice and mutual excitement.