General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust question

I have a 2010 heritage and im running rush slipons and the stock air cleaner.
I am running the XEID's to richen the mixture to help cool it down a little and i have noticed a increase in power.
I am getting ready to install a cobra 2 into 1 exhaust and am wondering if I stay with the stock air cleaner will it be ok for now?
I am thinking of doing a different breather this winter and a tuner and dyno.
Do you guys think it will be fine for the time being?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,177 Likes on 6,218 Posts
Default exhaust question

The air cleaner has always been the first thing I have changed on my bikes. The exhaust was always the second thing.

You aren't going to fully realize potential gains with a better exhaust system unless you decrease the restriction of the intake.

Think of it as trying to breathe through a straw.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Prot
The air cleaner has always been the first thing I have changed on my bikes. The exhaust was always the second thing.

You aren't going to fully realize potential gains with a better exhaust system unless you decrease the restriction of the intake.

Think of it as trying to breathe through a straw.
Yeah I understand that but there are two reasons for the change.
1) the original rear exhaust header, the heat shield does not cover the pipe enough and I have burned holes in every pair of jeans I own as my short legs are not far enough away from the pipe and if im not careful, hole in pant leg. LOL

2) the heat that comes off the rear header under my right thigh can be brutal.

The 2 into 1 the heat shields cover more of the header and the rear pipe drops down kinda toward the front of the bike and then curves back to the muffler and this gets it from under the leg.

I want to do the tuner and dyno but dont have the extra money for that at this moment.

I would like to run the exhaust for a couple months if it will be ok then i could do the rest.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

You should be fine with the stock air cleaner. Your plan sounds solid.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,177 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
You should be fine with the stock air cleaner. Your plan sounds solid.
I agree. I am just saying once he gets the air cleaner, it's going to be that much better.

You can open up the exhaust all you want, but if you aren't getting more air going in, the difference will be there, but not as pronounced.

My knowledge of the fuel injected bikes, xieds, etc is minimal, but principles are the same as for carburetors.

What year did they start putting catalytic converters in? They are definitely a huge heat source on any bike that has them.

Loving my old carbureted Evo 😎

I hope I am not coming across as a jackass.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9513
I have a 2010 heritage and im running rush slipons and the stock air cleaner.
I am running the XEID's to richen the mixture to help cool it down a little and i have noticed a increase in power.
I am getting ready to install a cobra 2 into 1 exhaust and am wondering if I stay with the stock air cleaner will it be ok for now?
I am thinking of doing a different breather this winter and a tuner and dyno.
Do you guys think it will be fine for the time being?
You will be fine with that plan.

Additionally, you can upgrade to a free flowing air cleaner whenever you want and not need to do a tuner. The XiED will keep the mixture fine with both free flow exhaust & free flowing air cleaner.

Will it run stronger with a tuner, yes, but you are not going to be damaging the bike at all without one.

If you do go to a Tuner in the winter, you can probably get a better tune with a Power Vision and NO expense of a Dyno tune.

Take a look at this LINK for full info...there are dyno charts at the bottom.

Here is a thread with an overview of popular tuner options that you may find useful-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

You can try to install a double sided exhaust, change the double exhaust at the right side to the constellation of a Touring with a real cross under double system with the mufflers both right and left side of the bike.
Or even a header at the rear cylinder facing the left side. This prevents a cross under and the rear exhaust pipe is directly lead to the left instead of the rights side of the bike.
The only things is, that you have to re-fit your shift rod by another type with the last solution.
Not only does it look better for the bike, it devides the heat and is taking away the heat source concentrated to the right side of the bike. Saves not only yout thighs but also your legs and the hair on it..(lol) You can apply at both sides 4" mufflers or similar, with a great sound and excellent performance.
Later on you can tune up your bike and apply another breather if required.

Last edited by Bart van der Meulen; 08-12-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Thanks for the advice, I read all the replies today on my phone but didnt have time to post.

This evening when i got off work i went to the Harley shop and got the screamin eagle exhaust gaskets, came home and went to work.

Only took about two hours as i was just taking my time.
I took it for a ride and I will say the throttle response is snappier and seems to have more torque.
sound is right where i want it, deep not raspy and barks when you twist the wrist.
And after I had rode it about ten miles I stopped and put my pants leg right up against the heat shield and it didnt burn a hole in my pants. LOL

Im pleased so far, this weekend ill put her to the test weather permitting.

And to Prot, no your not coming across as an ***, I will see about a turner and breather this winter when I get my annual bonus check, but for now I think im going to be pleased, its not the same bike!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:05 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
You can try to install a double sided exhaust, change the double exhaust at the right side to the constellation of a Touring with a real cross under double system with the mufflers both right and left side of the bike.
Or even a header at the rear cylinder facing the left side. This prevents a cross under and the rear exhaust pipe is directly lead to the left instead of the rights side of the bike.
The only things is, that you have to re-fit your shift rod by another type with the last solution.
Not only does it look better for the bike, it devides the heat and is taking away the heat source concentrated to the right side of the bike. Saves not only yout thighs but also your legs and the hair on it..(lol) You can apply at both sides 4" mufflers or similar, with a great sound and excellent performance.
Later on you can tune up your bike and apply another breather if required.

I had thought about the true duals but after I went to the Harley dealer the other week and checked out a couple Heritages with true duals, I didnt like the way the left pipe went over the top of the primary, felt like it would still be hot on the leg.

And a cross under would not work as theres not enough room, heck I scrape the frame on a couple speed bumps in my town now!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

yes......

Quick Reply: exhaust question