General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First year riding thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 PM
nuclearnick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First year riding thoughts

Just thought I would share some thoughts on my first full year riding for anyone who is just starting this year. I bought a new forty eight, my first bike last July right after taking the BRC. Now it's what 13 months later 7500miles and a winter. Riding has changed my life in ways I could not imagine. I'm healthier, happier and generally a better person.
As for the riding though here's a few of my key points. In the first year there are allot of nerves but before you know they will settle and you will start to feel like that kid who just got a new bike and mastered it, it will be natural and you will stop obsessing over every imperfection in the road. Don't let your guard down but no that little crack in the road is not going to hurl you into oncoming traffic. Pre-load your shifter. The cars are out to kill you but it's ok we're all gonna die someday just not today. I ride aggressively cautious, hit the throttle when it's right time and right place but hunt and kill the threats with eyes and brain first. Pre-load your shifter. 60 felt fast as hell a year ago. Now 80 is too fast for me but 60-75 on the highway no problem now. It will come don't rush it. I have two little kids so I see no reason to go much faster than that. 0-60 is where most of the fun is anyway. Preload your shifter. Did I mention pre-load your shifter a little pressure before the shift and whala smoothe as butter every time. Force yourself to use the skills hopefully you've learned in a riding class and they will become natural.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Nothing to constructively add to your thread, however I noticed you are from Vernon, NJ. I grew up in Warwick, NY and remember the days of going to the Warwick drive-in theater behind Lloyd's Supermarket where many a fight would break out with guys from Vernon.....usually had to do with Vernon girls dating Warwick guys

Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Pretty good first year experiences. I don't remember my first year, just my first ride down to the end of a friends driveway.

But I'm like you because I like 65mph on the highway. I don't feel like I'm poking along or like I'm imitating the Road Runner. And with the heavier, newer bikes and being away for 35 years, it took me awhile to learn to lean. And now with my newest, heavier bike, I'm learning again.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 PM
nuclearnick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dawg
Nothing to constructively add to your thread, however I noticed you are from Vernon, NJ. I grew up in Warwick, NY and remember the days of going to the Warwick drive-in theater behind Lloyd's Supermarket where many a fight would break out with guys from Vernon.....usually had to do with Vernon girls dating Warwick guys
Im a transplant from upstate NY so although I know the places you speak of I can't claim anything more than we fought the same fights behind the bleachers at every Caledonia vs. Leroy football game or if we spotted them in our town. We always won though those guys from Leroy were a bunch of pansies😄.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Good post.

I jumped on June of 2012 and then rode to Sturgis in August. I learned a ton. Most importantly, don't buy a bike, put 2500 miles on and think you are ready for Sturgis. My nerves were shot after that week, but the ride home and everything after has been a piece of cake. I am with you on looking for the hazards well ahead of time.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Why do you preload? Are you using the clutch?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 PM
nuclearnick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ron750
Why do you preload? Are you using the clutch?
Maybe wrong term Yes I use the clutch I am just saying you apply upward pressure to shifter before you pull clutch, makes the shift so much smoother and quicker. Maybe very obvious to someone with years of experience but that wasn't me.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed you are from New Jersey. That's the problem. J/J

Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearnick
Maybe wrong term Yes I use the clutch I am just saying you apply upward pressure to shifter before you pull clutch, makes the shift so much smoother and quicker. Maybe very obvious to someone with years of experience but that wasn't me.
I do that. Didn't know there was a name for it. The upward pressure is almost imperceptibly before pulling the clutch in. A few times I pressed a little early and shifted into fifth, without pulling the clutch in.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,226 Likes on 11,123 Posts

Surprised to hear you haven't dropped the bike yet. It'll happen, just a matter of when.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the ride but don't get to complacent. Situational awareness at all times. Expect the unexpected and have a plan when the unexpected occurs.

Quick Reply: First year riding thoughts