General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First road bike in 30 years, Softail or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 AM
daveswoodcraft
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First road bike in 30 years, Softail or Road King

Hi all
First I am new to the forum and this is my first post, Great Forum and so much great info Thanks to all.

I have not been on a bike in almost 30 years do to many things but mostly a wife that HATED bikes, or should I say Ex wife... Time to ride

I need as much advice and wisdom as I can get, to try and make the right choice. I am not in the situation to be able to trade in a bike too quickly so trying to get the right one the first time. Just got a surprise diagnosis of cancer and now to have some fun. I am about 5'11 with short legs. I weigh about 250# on my way to 220#. work out a lot pretty strong guy. I plan on using the bike to commute about 50 miles each way mostly on Rte 95 between NH and north shore of Boston but will have my car for weather etc. Want to be able to ride 2 up on weekends and planning on many trips on the bike in the future. Was first thinking of a Softail heritage or deluxe but am not thinking I like the road kings much better. Either bike would be somewhere in the 2009-2012 vintages
If I start off easy is a Road King to much bike for novice to ride safely? I have about 2000 hours of bike riding maybe 300-400 on road rest dirt and endure.

Thanks for any advise you may have

Dave

Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

No offense but you've opened up a can of worms with this one. You'll have many that stand behind the RK and also the Heritage and the Deluxe. Personally, I'd go to the dealership and sit on both and see which one feels the best to you and then if possible, take a test ride or wait for the next Demo ride to come your way and test ride each model. Ultimately, it will be your call because which ever bike is comfy for one might not be comfy for another.

p.s. I might also add that strength isn't always a factor. i know a girl that is about 5'7" or so that rides a Deluxe and has no issues whatsoever riding through the twisties with it.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 09-08-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Well I have a Heritage and absolutely love it and will never get rid of it.
Matter of fact I just ordered a Reckless fairing for it.

That being said if I was commuting 100 miles a day on a motorcycle I'd go with the Road King. However in NH, your commute is only going be perhaps 6-7 months out of the year.
The rest of the time it will likely be either too rainy or too snowy or too cold.

In any case especially with my suspension upgrade and now the fairing I wouldn't think twice about a 100 mile daily commute.

As for the weekender, I think you Wife would like either one.

So in conclusion; get the Road King and add a fairing to it.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rent both from the Dealership for a day each and try them out. Worth the investment. I'd say just from what your goals are the RK sounds more aligned. However both can accomplish what you want.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

Yeah...

Most large dealerships should hVe them in their rental inventory.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:39 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes
Rent both from the Dealership for a day each and try them out. Worth the investment. I'd say just from what your goals are the RK sounds more aligned. However both can accomplish what you want.
I agree. The Heritage might be the best bike for you, but if you want to do a lot of two up riding, the RK is the bike you need.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, if you rent it'll likely be a newer model, so there will be things that don't compare to a 5 or 6 year old bike (engine size for one). I'd steer you in the direction of the RK (I've ridden both) just because of the length of your commute.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:59 PM
daveswoodcraft
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everybody
I guess my main concern and I should have stated it clearer was that I was not getting something that I would not be able to handle, I know from there it becomes an opinion issue. Been there done that on other forums where opinions come into play

Thanks again for every bodies input
Dave

Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

After being away from riding for 32 years it was between the Heritage and Road King for me. I went with the Heritage. I ride mostly by myself but I do ride two up with the wife on some one or two night trips. I ride 30 miles one way to work and I don't think I would need a Road King to ride 50.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:18 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a tough choice to make, but an enjoyable one hey?

If I was to take a regular passenger then my choice would be the RK. The softail suspension is a bitch to adjust regularly, and something that needs to be done if you are to minimise the adverse effects of adding a passenger, which on the softy is highlighted by the fact that any passenger sits a lot higher than the rider thus affecting the COG. One of the reasons my deluxe has no back seat or passenger footrests.

If I was to ride solo 99% of the time, then the softail would be right up there with the RK as a prospective purchase. I love the look of the traditional lines of the softail frame, and although slightly more cramped than the RK I can get comfortable enough even at 6'3", with highway pegs.

The riding position and handling is very different between the two, so really you need to spend some saddle time on both to make your choice.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Quick Reply: First road bike in 30 years, Softail or Road King