General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just came back from Ride Like a Pro class: Debrief

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Just came back from Ride Like a Pro class: Debrief

I attended a Ride Like a Pro class today in Atlanta. About two or three years ago, I watched the videos and learned a little and made a mental note to actually go to the class.

There were two other riders in my class. Unfortunately, neither was a seasoned rider and neither was even remotely comfortable on their own bikes. You are supposed to have at least 3000 miles under your belt before attending a RLAP class. These two, who were friends, either missed that part or just didn't care and came. One only had 200 miles under her belt I found out later in the day.

We started off doing friction zone work and doing the slow race. These are things that I already knew how to do and use when I ride so it was pretty easy for me. The other two in the class struggled to the point of not ever really getting it all. This made everything in the class impossible for them to perform. Literally.

After doing friction zone work, we progressed to a 12' weave. It's harder than it sounds and this exercise gets you dipping and throwing the bike around very quickly. After a couple of runs through and kind of figuring out the cadence, I was able to do it pretty easily. The other two were riding straight through it leaving a wake of cones.

After the 12' weave, we went into running a 22' circle. Because I was really "getting it" according to my instructor, it was actually pretty easy for me to the point where I was doing an 18' full lock turn on my first evolution. I didn't realize I was even doing it that tight, but he was excited that I picked up the leaning so quickly. This drill gave me a lot of confidence. The other two could not even stay in the circle at all. As soon as they went into the cones, they were out. This was directly because they could not figure out the friction zone/brake combination. The instructor was really going the extra mile trying to get them comfortable doing it. He told me to go into the circle and do donuts in both directions while he worked with them. He was running next to their bikes coaching them, taking them for rides on his bike--he was really trying but they were not getting it at all.

We stopped for lunch break and I came back on time and he told me that he was taking me right to the figure eight before the other two came back because he knew they had no chance and didn't want to ruin my experience since I was doing well. The figure 8 was a lot of fun and I started really smiling at this point.

They came back while I was riding the figure eight and I could tell that they were either in shock or denial to see me whipping through it relatively easily because they were having such a hard time. At this point, they both punched out of the class and said they were too tired to continue, had no confidence, etc....Both had dropped their bikes a couple of times each on basic, elementary operations. They were just in too deep.

The instructor was really patient with them and told them to stay to watch me. Talk about pressure.

We went over to the 4-way intersection course they have. First I just ran basic U-turns in the box end to end. It was almost too easy. Then I got over confident and dropped my damn bike. Believe it or not, doing all these drills--especially when it is your first time--is mentally draining because of your concentration level. I let mine lapse for 1 second and plop. Luckily, I had covers on my engine guards, removed my bags, and padded my fairing, so nothing really happened other than a little scrape on the frame under the floorboard. I was PISSED! I got right back on though to redeem myself and whipped through it smooth another 4-5 times.

The last thing I did was the 4-way intersection which is basically the granddaddy exercise where you are just throwing your bike around the whole time in transition from hard dip to hard dip. It's actually a lot of fun to do and I was smiling as I was doing it mostly because I couldn't believe that in 4 hours of training I was doing the stuff with ease that was on the video.

Lastly, the instructor hopped on his bike and told me to follow him. He ran me through that 4-way drill FAST. Like "holy ****" fast. But, I kept right on his rear wheel and nailed it. When we were done I told him that I simply could not believe I did what I just did! He told me that for some reason, if you go into these drills as a pair or more, you concentrate a lot more than if you are doing it solo. I don't know what the heck it was, but if you watch the RLAP videos and see the whole class running like a train and say "no way, these people all must be experts" (like I thought) it's the truth.

I would highly endorse anyone with a motorcycle taking this course. It was an amazing skill builder for me and the results are instantaneous. My confidence is boosted to a point its never been before. If you think you don't need to take it, then I guarantee that you need to take the most.

I might have a video of me in the circle that the instructor is going to send to me. I will post it if and when I get it as proof!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:30 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I would really like to take one of those courses some time. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:52 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I wish they would come to my neighborhood

Old 09-12-2015, 04:54 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Did they not run you through the offset cone weave and then at add second cone making a gate to pass through at each turn?

I also really enjoyed the RLP class, I took it only after (2) weeks of owning my new Ultra Limited, I had a Heritage before the Ultra. I was very nervous about dropping the bike, like you by the end of the day I was throwing the bike around like a 250cc dirt bike, also like you there were at least (4) riders who should not have been there, duck walking the bike through every exercise. When the follow the leader at the end came around the guy in front of me drove right a curb, kinda scary to see how others are so inept.

It surely is a confidence builder!

Last edited by HardRider1; 09-12-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the other two skipped the bunny slope and went straight to the black diamond. If they can't even weave, which is stressed in the basic riding course, they really shouldn't have been there.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,346 Likes on 846 Posts

I haven't been able to take that course yet, but I did get the DVD's and repeatedly did the suggested practice exercises. I have no delusions that that is as good as taking a class, but even that made a tremendous difference. I would still like to take the class some time.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:20 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I would like that course better if I didn't have to take a chance of dropping my bike. A identical loaner would be nice but fat chance.Anyway,congradulations on your success.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:29 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Sounds like you went in with some skills and left with even more. Great work!

It is a shame that you were brought down by newbies in over their heads. It would have been better if there was someone in the group better than you so you would push even harder. I have my best experiences when I'm the weak link because I can learn from them.

Also, if you didn't drop the bike you weren't trying hard enough. So good on you!

Thanks for the review. Nice job.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
I would like that course better if I didn't have to take a chance of dropping my bike. A identical loaner would be nice but fat chance.Anyway,congradulations on your success.
There's a motor cop for civilians course (name escapes me) that I've been considering. For a nominal fee they supply a bike. That's a great way to go.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:35 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats. I'm sure that would be the best money spent toward owning a bike

Quick Reply: Just came back from Ride Like a Pro class: Debrief