General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight pulsing in turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Slight pulsing in turns

I took my RG out for the longest trip to date. 400 Miles Round trip. I had a lot of freeway time on this trip, and noticed something I had not felt before. At freeway speeds, while going around curves, I get a gentle Left-right-Left-Right in the front end. Not sure if it was the grooving in the road or if something is wrong. I am going to check the tire pressures today and see if they are good. Any ideas why I was getting this odd movement in the handlebars? Most times speeds were up there, as in 65-75 MPH, but actually just staying with the traffic. Felt like Nascar out there. I am hoping it was simply the grooving in the road way, but it was very rhythmic. Nothing on the straight a ways Also did not always feel it in the curves. The bike is 2013 and only has 15K on it, so I doubt if anything is worn out already.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

Could be steering neck bearing adjustment. I had a '09 road king that would do a tank slapper if I let go of the bars.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Tire air pressure.
Or, you are gripping the handlebars too tight going into the turn.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Run your hand across the outside section of the tire tread. It could be as simple as the tire beginning to wear and getting "cupped",, I've had Dunlop tires do that regularly,, I won't use them anymore.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:00 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Low tire pressure will cause your problem and will also lead to unusual and premature tire wear.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Run your hand across the outside section of the tire tread. It could be as simple as the tire beginning to wear and getting "cupped",, I've had Dunlop tires do that regularly,, I won't use them anymore.
you say you've got 15k on the bike, are these the original tires? my tires have about the same mileage, and i get the same thing. i've adjusted my steering neck bearings so i know they're good. i'm thinking that it is the rear tire being cupped, but i'm too cheap to replace them right now, as they still have a lot of tread left. the 'wallowing' is not that extreme to where i'm about to go into a tank slapper, so i just live with it for right now.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:13 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, I had this sensation and it ended up being my steering neck bearings needed to be adjusted or tightened. Some people mentioned tire pressure and potentially old tires here. I just had to have my wheels balanced. Could be that. The wobble wasn't terrible by any means, but it was enough that I noticed the distance in the ride. Turned out I had lost a couple of balancing weights on the front wheel.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Both tires have 1000 miles since new. Dunlaps. No cupping that I could see or feel, still need to check pressure. One thing I did notice while looking is it appears the Fork bearings grease zerk on the Left side, between the triple trees, looks like it has never been greased since it came from the factory, even though the bike has been serviced by the dealer since new.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Check the nut and the lock washer for steering neck . It could have come loose.
Do you have air shocks in the rear , if so one mite have no air psi ?

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 09-27-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

OP wrote:
[[ The bike is 2013 and only has 15K on it, so I doubt if anything is worn out already. ]]

Is the front tire still the original one?

If so, check it over carefully, for cupping, or for extra wear in one area of the tread.

With my last two front tires, I've noticed that as they wore close to the replacement point, the wear wasn't "even". There would be areas where the tread seemed more worn than others.

Having said that, until the tread depth got to the point of replacement, the tire still "rode true", so to speak. I did notice some of the "Road Glide head shake" at that point.

Quick Reply: Slight pulsing in turns