General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to Go For Custom Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Decided to Go For Custom Paint

Pretty excited about some "off-season" plans for my Deluxe. Other than do a major maintenance type of deal, I've decided to get custom paint done.
Now I think my bike looks pretty dang good as is. It's all black with whitewalls, which I like a lot. But, being a 2006 model, it's got some battle scars. I can do basic paint myself, and for a while, I was thinking' that's what I would do. Just a black repaint.

But, I found a very good custom painter less than a mile from my house. So, I decided to spend a little money and have the paint professionally done.
I'm going with a two-tone scheme. Fairly simple, with dark metallic green on the top of the tank and fenders, black on the sides, with silverleaf accents, along with a touch of custom hand pin striping.
Just need to find that perfect shade of green, and decide if I wanna keep the tank badges or not.

The perfect riding season is here. So I figure to wait and pull the bike down after thanksgiving. The paint guy's work load is light then, and said it was refreshing to have someone actually plan ahead, rather than wait until spring comes and then need a fast turn-around. Hopefully that will translate into a bit more attention to detail.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Be sure to post pics when its done. My advice, if you're looking for some, is to use factory automotive colors, not custom mixed, so if you ever need to have something touched up or repainted down the road anybody can do it.

Drive around new or used car lots and find a green you like, then write down the vin #, a dealership parts dept can get you a paint code then.

My bike is a really cool metallic/pearl black that's actually a factory Ford color.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Definitely show some pictures!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Pretty excited about some "off-season" plans for my Deluxe. Other than do a major maintenance type of deal, I've decided to get custom paint done.
Now I think my bike looks pretty dang good as is. It's all black with whitewalls, which I like a lot. But, being a 2006 model, it's got some battle scars. I can do basic paint myself, and for a while, I was thinking' that's what I would do. Just a black repaint.

But, I found a very good custom painter less than a mile from my house. So, I decided to spend a little money and have the paint professionally done.
I'm going with a two-tone scheme. Fairly simple, with dark metallic green on the top of the tank and fenders, black on the sides, with silverleaf accents, along with a touch of custom hand pin striping.
Just need to find that perfect shade of green, and decide if I wanna keep the tank badges or not.

The perfect riding season is here. So I figure to wait and pull the bike down after thanksgiving. The paint guy's work load is light then, and said it was refreshing to have someone actually plan ahead, rather than wait until spring comes and then need a fast turn-around. Hopefully that will translate into a bit more attention to detail.
Damn, Mike...winter around here is ridin time, we do our upgrades in the summer heat. You remember to post pics when you get done paintin those tins. Sounds interesting although I do hate green...lol. Gonna do mine in the near future, dark grey in place of the amber whiskey, keep the silver.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Damn, Mike...winter around here is ridin time, we do our upgrades in the summer heat. You remember to post pics when you get done paintin those tins. Sounds interesting although I do hate green...lol.
Here in Central California, we can ride 12 months, although the entire valley is often covered in thick low clouds and it's like being wrapped in a freezing cold wet blanket. But aside from those days during the winter, one just needs to stay out of the Sierras. It gets damn cold at 7000 ft, and we're hoping and praying for a cold wet winter. It's ugly dry out here.

Besides, the Deluxe isn't my only bike. I have my Bonneville too.

The reason for green is as much for unique-ness as much as being an attractive color when done right. The right green has a "jeweltone" quality to it. Lots of black bikes out there, which I do like a lot, lots of red, and I really love blue. But a nice shade of green would set the bike apart.

Reindeer, that's good advice about using a stock color. There's probably lots to choose from!

And I will post before and after pics when it's done!

Thanks guys

Old 10-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Here in Central California, we can ride 12 months, although the entire valley is often covered in thick low clouds and it's like being wrapped in a freezing cold wet blanket. But aside from those days during the winter, one just needs to stay out of the Sierras. It gets damn cold at 7000 ft, and we're hoping and praying for a cold wet winter. It's ugly dry out here.

Besides, the Deluxe isn't my only bike. I have my Bonneville too.

The reason for green is as much for unique-ness as much as being an attractive color when done right. The right green has a "jeweltone" quality to it. Lots of black bikes out there, which I do like a lot, lots of red, and I really love blue. But a nice shade of green would set the bike apart.

Reindeer, that's good advice about using a stock color. There's probably lots to choose from!

And I will post before and after pics when it's done!

Thanks guys
lol...I forgot to add, I hate blue too :P

Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
lol...I forgot to add, I hate blue too :P
Well, I can't help that. I thought about the same blue as the Deluxe's garagemate. I've been running this car for nearly 17 years now.
Yeah...I like blue.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

lol...damn it, mike. Must be a CA thng
Edit: Nice drag car, guessing '66 Carmen Ghia. Cant say I ever seen one setup like that.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 10-02-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Keep the badges.

My two ¢.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Custom paint is about the fastest way to throw away money as it devalues the bike, in addition to costing a lot.

Quick Reply: Decided to Go For Custom Paint