General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Help me pick a bike.

I started riding in August 2014. Circumstances evolved to where I ended up on a 2014 Triumph Scrambler which is a fine bike. I've had it customized to suit my tastes.

But I find myself, after having ridden nearly 5000 miles in a little over a year, gravitating toward a Harley. Last weekend the wife and I stopped by a Harley dealership (great folks, btw) in Tulsa and she was wanting me to pull the trigger on a 2015 Dyna. But I told her I needed some time to do some research.

Maybe you can help me. I have lower back issues and need the foot pegs as close to underneath my torso as possible so that I can use my legs as shock absorbers.

I also want the distinctive traditional Harley sound. The Vrod Muscle, for example, is a different engine? I'm assuming it doesn't really sound like a Harley?

I also like to lean in the twisties, so exhaust clearance/foot peg clearance could be an issue.

I've noticed older Dynas have the foot pegs set back more than the newer models, but the salesman indicated newer models have forward controls.

Also, my inseam is 37 inches. I would have to have the seat built up as I did my Scrambler.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Old 10-07-2015, 07:39 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Get a Road King.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Hey! I own a Harley and a Triumph. They are 2 way different bikes and your looking at a few challenges

* Leaning in the twisties - You can lean a Harley but your not leaning it like a Triumph or an import. Its just not gonna happen

* If you want the "sound" you need to stick with the big twin motor, however the Sportster can get the sound(I don't think the Sportie is the right bike for you, lol)

* With a 37 inch inseam, I could see you cramped on a dyna with std controls but the bike can be built to suit

* Like the prior poster mentioned, did you check a RK?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

First, I recommend you look at the various models.....learn about them, figure out what your tastes are, and what you want.

Generally you have the:
*Sportsters...the XL chassis. Smaller, lighter.
*Dynas....FX models. Look like a larger Sportster. And Sporsters, especially older ones, are some of the best, most authentic sounding Harley's...the "Ironhead" is right up there with Shovelheads...since it basically is one. My wifes carb'd Sporty 1200 is awesome sounding. Current Sporty's are basically a newer Evo engine...much better sounding than the newer twinkies in the newer big twins.
*Touring...FL models. "Baggers"...
*Softail...they stick both types of front forks on them so FXST and FLST
You sit lower in these...more "in them" instead of "on them".

And yeah those oddball models, the Street, and the VROD. Correct...neither have that real Harley sound..both water cooled engines.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 10-07-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a Thruxton, to me you described a dyna (I have a street bob). The dyna line has the big twin, but also more lean angle and lighter weight than the other models. I would say check out the dyna line and see if you like any of them over the others. The fat bob and low rider have dual front brakes.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wilddave
I would say check out the dyna line and see if you like any of them over the others. The fat bob and low rider have dual front brakes.
Thanks for that. I've noticed by perusing Craigslist and fleabay that some of the older Dynas have the foot controls a little farther back than the newer Dynas. I think if I had the seat raised four inches that could be a good choice.

I'd likely replace the exhaust anyway. Something with better sound and more clearance.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road king or other touring model with the police seat, which is more of an upright riding position.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

You mentioned wanting the traditional Harley sound. A carbureted Evo will give you that without breaking the bank.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm tall too (sorta) and have a 34" inseam. A stock Road King fits me just fine.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Prot
A carbureted Evo
Is that every Harley engine made that has carbs?

Quick Reply: Help me pick a bike.