General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is sitting lower a big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Why is sitting lower a big deal?

Been reading lots of posts about the Tallboy seat. Many of them say they sit you back but they also raise you up and a lot of the taller guys don't want to be raised up. I'm trying to understand that. I have a 32 inch inseam so stock seats make me sit knees high where the bars will hit my knees if I lock the bars, rather than having my knees closer to 90 degrees which I've read is a recommended seating position. So, why is sitting lower such a big deal?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Lower center of gravity? Sitting lower is why I won't have highway bars. I had them on my panhead and I felt like I was sitting even with the passanger seat. They came off quick.

Why do people lower their bike where it drags going around corners? Personal choice?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

As Phil said, lower COG. Also, sitting more "in" the bike helps the feeling of being a piece of the machine instead of apart from it. Not in an esoteric sense, just a mechanical one.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I spend many days each year doing 12 to 14 hour rides. I have no interest in being folded up like a pocket knife. So even most stock seats are too low.

To that end I believe the most ridiculous mod to a bike is to lower the suspension. Maybe if it is only for show and just ridden to the corner or back. Ground clearance and lean angle are as much of a safety factors as brakes and riding gear.

Even HD has gotten into the lowering game. It torqued me that when I got a 12 Road Glide it was one inch lower than the previous years. The touring seats are getting thinner and thinner.

The best example of a proper bike proportions is the 03 883R in my garage. It has more ground clearance and the seat is higher from the ground than any of my touring bikes. Fits me like of glove and handles great.

The current crop of Sportsters look like 2/3 size minibikes.

In the past short riders had to modify the bikes and seats. Now the tall guys have to modify the seats and bikes to fit.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Lower is cooler just like constant throttle blipping at stop lights or in crowds.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:14 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Same reason the tall "ape hanger" bars are just a fad. It's also in the custom car/truck enthusiast crowd.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:38 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

ChickinOnaChain hit on it: Lower Center Of Gravity. Makes a heavy bike a little easier to handle, especially at lower speeds & stop lights. I'd suggest forward mounted foot boards and/or highway pegs mounted very close to the foot boards so you can stretch your legs out if your uncomfortable.

I find it interesting you're asking this question after being offered a free loaner of a Limited while your Road Glide is being serviced (mentioned in your earlier thread). Might have to do with having to move that handlebar mounted fairing vs to what you're used to with the frame mounted fairing. Both fairings raise the center of gravity, but the RG, doesn't move the weight around. If you're really thinking of trading, I'd suggest you try a new RG before making a switch. I don't know many RG owners who have switched to a batwing model and were happy with it a few thousand miles down the road.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I could never figure out why a tall boy seat lowers you either. Being 6'4", I want my seat raised. The most comfortable seat I ever sat on was a cop seat on my old bike. I sat several inches higher and it was great. I sat on top of the bike instead of in it.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:01 AM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
As Phil said, lower COG. Also, sitting more "in" the bike helps the feeling of being a piece of the machine instead of apart from it. Not in an esoteric sense, just a mechanical one.
Totally share that feeling!

Old 10-09-2015, 06:21 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Lower is cooler just like constant throttle blipping at stop lights or in crowds.
That sounds about right! LOL

Quick Reply: Why is sitting lower a big deal?