General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Douglas DeViney Sr.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake question

About a month ago I had a SERIOUS HARD braking incident where the ABS saved me. It seems as though I get some slight rough rear wheel braking and when not even using the rear brake it heats up. There was new pads put on at 27K in both front and rear calipers with the hard braking issue at around 30K and now I have 32K. I get no ABS indicator light, no smell of warm brakes, but disc is hot. Fluid is good to go. HELP??

Old 10-11-2015, 11:26 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Was fluid added prior to replacing the pads? If so, then bleed some fluid off.

Do you have the "2 piston" front brake calipers? If so, they must be squeaky clean when replacing the pads. Sticking pistons will result if not cleaned prior to pushing the pistons back into their bores.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 PM
Douglas DeViney Sr.
2nd Gear

No fluid had to be added to front of rear when changed. This issue only has started since the major ABS braking. It's working fine, just the jittery rear braking and the warm disc. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

if you getting vibration when applying the rear brake, the disc may be warped and that will cause it to heat up due to rubbing against your pads.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Is the rear rotor centered between the pads?

Old 10-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Douglas DeViney Sr.
2nd Gear

Yes it is centered. This issue only developed after on HARD BRAKING incident where it was all I could do to stop. The ABS functioned GREAT but this has only developed in the last 1500 to 2000 miles.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Douglas DeViney Sr.
2nd Gear

It only came about after a HARD stop but that was only 1500 to 2000 miles ago and has progressively gotten to how it is now in the last 300 or so miles. I wouldn't think that the one hard stop would of warped the rotor but!!! I don't notice it at highway speeds but can feel it when below 20 mph or so. Sort of intermittent too.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

I had one set of Rear pads several yrs back that didn't last very long and would make the rotor hot when I'd ride...

The wheel would only spin about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn no matter how hard I'd spin it when I cleaned the wheel. Those pads only lasted about 10k and the next set I had put on the rear the wheel would spin a lot more easily when I spun the wheels during cleaning.. I could tell a mayor diff in the Drag on the wheel..

IMO it's as said above,, I don't think the wrench cleaned the brake pistons at all or maybe just not enough and they wouldn't release some of the pressure they were putting on the Rotors.

I've had 4 sets of pads on the rear and that one set was the only ones that did that.. as all the others have went 15K+ miles easy..

Last edited by oct1949; 10-12-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have taken my front and back caliper apart and cleaned everything (pistons ,slides) real good with brake cleaner, re lube everything. Changed fluid at the same time . This was on my non abs bike. The reason I did it because the fronts were not releasing all the way and making a strange sound.This solved my problem .

Last edited by electricstart; 10-12-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:12 AM
armydgp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by electricstart
I have taken my front and back caliper apart and cleaned everything (pistons ,slides) real good with brake cleaner, re lube everything. Changed fluid at the same time . This was on my non abs bike. The reason I did it because the fronts were not releasing all the way and making a strange sound.This solved my problem .
Thats what i would try and do, also as stated above maybe you warped the rotor. Good luck, let us know what you find out

Danny

Quick Reply: Rear brake question