General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sideswiped today

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sideswiped today

I am a bit banged up, but nothing is broken, I have minimal road rash, and the SG is still rideable.

I was heading up Grand Ave with a green light and in the middle of the right lane. Saw a truck slowly rolling up to the stop line on Harding st and figured "he isn't going to stop" so I let off the throttle and moved to the left of the right lane. Before I let off the throttle I was moving at about 45mph.

Sure enough, he didn't stop, so in the middle of the intersection I applied the brakes and smoothly moved to the left lane.

He slowly applied the gas and moved to the left lane as well. Needless to say by this time I was already up against the curb for the median and he had hit me.

Police came, he said he stopped for his red light to the officer, I said he didn't. Officer told me that he is at fault either way. The guy is 77 years old and has vision problems in his left eye, so I inquired about having him submitted for license reevaluation. No ticket issued because "we don't give out citations for accidents like this"... WTF?!? I'll be calling the department tomorrow to see if I can change that.

I hit my floating ribs on my left side on the curb and have a silver dollar size rash on the top of my left shoulder from the curb. I'm sure that tomorrow I will feel more.

Nobody stopped to see if I was ok, and that pisses me off a little. The guy stopped and never apologized or asked if I was ok. Never in my life have I wanted to beat an old dudes *** before today...

His insurance company is going to pay out, but needs the police report and in Cali those take 10 days. Getting the appraisal on Friday, but it looks like a possibility of about 3500-4500.00 in parts. Depends on if they call the tank dented or not.

Anyway, ride safe!!!

I had the joy of sliding down the curb with the bike for a bit, then rolling down it while the bike slid some more. <br/><br/>Fun!!!

Last edited by Seventy4blazer; 10-22-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Square
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sucks. I'm glad to see you are relatively unscathed.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:42 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Glad you're not hurt too bad, it could have been a lot worse. I don't understand why the cop didn't ticket the guy, that just don't make sense.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:56 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

First of all, I'm glad you're not seriously injured. Second, This man should lose his driving privileges for good and Third, Cop's a lazy bastard for not citing the elderly man.

Good Luck,

Thorey

Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 AM
Lighteye
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
Glad you're not hurt too bad, it could have been a lot worse. I don't understand why the cop didn't ticket the guy, that just don't make sense.
I concur....sounds like someone drank a big ole cup of lazy before arriving at the scene.

Glad to hear you're still vertical.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Second, This man should lose his driving privileges for good and Third, Cop's a lazy bastard for not citing the elderly man.

Through out the country we have a problem with elderly drivers and when to pull their license. Usually "something" has to happen to give the close family members a reason to do so.

For this incident, the officer missed this opportunity to start the paper trail to pull this (obviously) now proven incompetent driver off the road. I'm glad the OP came through this ok but he should pursue this to get the officer to ticket this guy; he needs to be off the road!

I know there are LEO's on this board, is it now too late to cite this guy? What's your comments on this situation?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:48 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Glad you're OK.

I worry more about senior citizens than I do about "texters", or whatever old people are calling kids these days.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot

I know there are LEO's on this board, is it now too late to cite this guy? What's your comments on this situation?
Tickets are not generally written for an offense that is not observed by the officer. If the officer didn't see him run the light, he doesn't get a red light violation. The report should contain both parties description of what occurred and diagrams, etc. plus any witness reports. Then the insurance companies will determine fault. In this case it should be pretty clear. It is, however, an opportunity to have the other driver evaluated for his driving competence and the officer can make that request.

Glad your injuries were minor!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,646 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Really sorry to hear this!! Glad you're not badly hurt, and prayer sent your way for a quick healing. In the end, I am sure the bike repairs will work out, and I do hope the old guy gets taken off the road now that his insurance company has to pay out. (harder to get insurance now) Smile today!! God loves you, and so do I!!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:31 AM
KCinKy
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
Tickets are not generally written for an offense that is not observed by the officer. If the officer didn't see him run the light, he doesn't get a red light violation. The report should contain both parties description of what occurred and diagrams, etc. plus any witness reports. Then the insurance companies will determine fault. In this case it should be pretty clear. It is, however, an opportunity to have the other driver evaluated for his driving competence and the officer can make that request.

Glad your injuries were minor!
You nailed it. Some states the LEO can't issue citations (tickets) for something they did not observe first hand. He/she does not have that option. Some can, Indiana could in the past, don't know about now.

Quick Reply: Sideswiped today