General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger vs Sportster rider technique

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:49 AM
CZshooter
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Bagger vs Sportster rider technique

Bought an old Sportster this past summer, and got hooked (re-hooked actually)...and want to take my wife 2 up riding...we're both "big"...450lbs on the bike (I'm 240, shes 210). We both recently turned 50...I'm not a get there fast guy..want to enjoy the scenery.

I rode dirt when I was a kid, and a lot of the skills came back pretty quickly, and I feel I've adapted to a road bike pretty well. We both plan on taking a riding safety course this coming spring. Before I would take a passenger, I want that under my belt.

I'm picking up a 2002 Road King this weekend, with the intention to install a removable tour pack when we go 2 up. I realize the Road King is a much heavier bike than my Sportster, and stopping distances are probably longer.

I assume most driving techniques are the same - Push right/turn right for instance. Other than the weight, are there any major differences to driving a Bagger to a Sportster I should be aware of?

Are the brakes/braking similar? (I feel I use a lot of front brake on my Sportster to get slowed down coming into a turn)

The following users liked this post:
Ultra2005 (03-08-2023)
Old 11-17-2015, 06:04 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you get in a strange car and drive it like you have been driving your regular car?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:03 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I think there is a bit of a difference in technique. At least there is if you were riding the Sportster…."sporty."

My Triumph Bonneville and Sportster were pretty much the same, and similar weight. The riding position had my head and shoulders leaned a bit forward with low bars. To get the most out of the bike I would shift my upper body and try to "touch the inside grip with my nose" so to speak. This would shift a bit of weight to the inside so the bike wouldn't have to lean as much.

My Softail Deluxe…..is NOT sporty. Although it does corner very nicely within my own and the bike's limitations. I find it is not as sensitive to where the riders weight is. With it's upright riding position, and the heavier weight of the bike, I've gotten fairly comfortable with simply rocking the bars over while keeping my head level with the horizon. I also trail brake, and the Deluxe is easier to do that on with its forward foot position too.

So, the techniques are the basically same….but different. I will say, after spending a bunch of time on the Deluxe, getting back on one of the others feels funny. They feel almost "twitchy" by comparison. And the more I ride my Deluxe, the less I like the Bonneville.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Like one person mentioned above....it's like getting out of one car, climbing into another car....the fundamentals are the same, but sure you'll notice subtle differences and handling. Yet...steering, brakes, accel, cornering..it's done the same way. It just responds and handles slightly different.

I've ridden 2-up on my wifes Sporty...(yes with her on the back, not me!)...I'm 6'5" and 210lbs, she's 5'5" and 140. Yeah a Sporty is a little more cramped, her ***** push into my back pretty good.

Mid-sized...when I had my Dyna...we did a lot of 2-up. That was comfy.

And on my current Shovelhead, it's an Electra Glide "Sport"..basically what evolved into the Road King..yeah there's more room.

But riding across the 3 of them...much like climbing into 3 different cars...you still drive them the same, but you quickly adjust to the subtle differences.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:34 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 490 Posts

If the King has stock controls, you will find yourself using the rear brake a lot more than on your Sporty. Also the heel/toe shifter will take a few minutes to get used to, but better in my opinion.
Definitely practice some low-speed maneuvering without your mrs on the back. The weight difference in the bike alone will take getting used to, before you add a passenger.
Enjoy the ride!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:04 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by CZshooter
I'm picking up a 2002 Road King this weekend, with the intention to install a removable tour pack when we go 2 up. I realize the Road King is a much heavier bike than my Sportster, and stopping distances are probably longer.

I assume most driving techniques are the same - Push right/turn right for instance. Other than the weight, are there any major differences to driving a Bagger to a Sportster I should be aware of?
techniques are very similar, only different. the theory is the same, the practice has to be modified to fit the bike.

i will tell you that even though the roaching is a bigger, heavier bike, it is easier to ride than the sporty. it is a much better balanced bike.

have fun

Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by CZshooter
I assume most driving techniques are the same - Push right/turn right for instance.
o_O? The laws of physics do not change from bike to bike.

Other than the weight, are there any major differences to driving a Bagger to a Sportster I should be aware of?

Are the brakes/braking similar? (I feel I use a lot of front brake on my Sportster to get slowed down coming into a turn)
The bagger has a much higher center of gravity and a much taller seat.

The brakes on the baggers are plenty adequate, but stopping quickly is all relative.

Your front brake provides about 80% of your braking power on pavement and locking up your rear tire on pavement could put you in a ditch: riding on dirt is a lot different than pavement.

Passengers will be a lot more comfortable on a bagger, especially with the Tourpak installed.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm coming from a similar spot as Mike Lawless, and size wise both the wife and I are also 'big'.

Got back into riding after a long hiatus a few years ago with a 1200C. Last summer stepped up to a Softail Deluxe. And I agree with Mike's input on the 'nose to the bar' lean technique (though I hadn't thought of if that way until he said it) with the Sportster. The Sporty had drag bars and forwards, so it put me in an upper body leaned forward riding position - so upper body lean-in to shift weight to the inside.

For me, with the Deluxe, I find I shift my weight to the 'inside cheek' while remaining upright, to save lean angle and minimize scraping the boards on faster/tighter turns. Usually only an issue when riding inside line 90 degree turns not from a stop, or greater than 90 degree turns or odd road camber situations. probably not an issue on the road king, as it's got more lean angle.

As far as 2-up, the Deluxe was a big improvement over the Sportster - besides being less crowded, the increased weight of the bike made the impact of a passenger on total weight less (percentage wise) which made riding 2 up more comfortable.

Same thing happened this fall when the wife and I rented an Ultra for a day while on vacation - bigger and more comfy, and the passenger feels like less of the total 'package' so less difference between solo and 2 up. also, the touring bike has dual discs - more confident braking. Also, contrary to what I've seen as the majority opinion around here, the ultra was MUCH nicer handling at low speed / parking lots - even with it's higher weight and higher CG, than my Deluxe is.

Think the RK is a good choice for you - enjoy and keep the rubber side down!

Dan

Old 11-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

The bagger is a big bike, but are a very nimble, very easy to ride bike. You'll need to put a bit more thought into your parking when out & about, but that's about it.

I went from a hot-rodded '94 Sportster to a brandy-new '99 FLTR, back when. Had no problems adjusting & I rode that big girl like a hooligan. Had to be aware of her girth (no more lane-splitting for me. lol...), but otherwise no issues.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

No matter the size of the bike or riders it is always best to use both the front and rear brakes when slowing. They will last longer. The only exception is when slowed down to make a low speed turn get off the front brake at that time.

Quick Reply: Bagger vs Sportster rider technique