General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle primary chain tensioner ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle primary chain tensioner ?

Going to open up the primary for a clutch pack replacement. I anticipate that I may want to replace the automatic primary tensioner with a fixed one. Not interested in the Hayden at all. I have read much on here about the Baker unit, but nothing about the HD Screamin Eagle one ( Harley-Davidson® 36500020 ).
Any feedback on this unit ?
Respects

Old 11-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I don't mean this in the way it normally comes, but.......do a quick search on it. I'd do it for you but I'm on my phone.

Anyway, there was somebody here that put one on and didn't like it; noisy, very noisy as I remember. I also remember that it was somebody who I thought knew what they were talking about. I just can't remember who it was. Whoever it was, they took it right back out.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I don't mean this in the way it normally comes, but.......do a quick search on it. I'd do it for you but I'm on my phone.

Anyway, there was somebody here that put one on and didn't like it; noisy, very noisy as I remember. I also remember that it was somebody who I thought knew what they were talking about. I just can't remember who it was. Whoever it was, they took it right back out.
Gotcha ! Did a better search and found what I need to know. Thanks for the response, and sorry for beating on the "dead horse".
respects
ed

Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Gotcha ! Did a better search and found what I need to know. Thanks for the response, and sorry for beating on the "dead horse".
respects
ed
No problem. If I were looking at something like that, I'd either modify the auto adjuster one to be a manual or install the Baker model. There's a good thread on making the auto adjuster into a manual around here somewhere.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser

Yes, welding the OEM does make more sense (at least financially) than buying a Baker or SE. I'm very puzzled that there could be any noise difference between fixed, non adjustable adjusters. Many times it seems that posters oppose ANYTHING from HD, even if it may be a good product. One guy referred to the SE unit as "a piece of ****". Why ? And the Baker is better HOW ? I'm just puzzled by this anti-HD attitude that permeates the Topics sometimes.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

I find it funny that you scorn those who refer to some HD parts as "****" yet you endorse modifying those same HD parts. If the part wasn't a bad design in someone's eyes, there would not be a reason to improve or replace the item, no? As for the other products, it is well documented on several forums that people have had noise issues with the SE tensioner due to its different pad material. As for the Baker unit, those that use them are envariably feeling that they have issues with the stock tensioner ratcheting too tight and/or would like more control over chain tension. Even HD considered the first auto tensioner to be a piece of **** and revised it to a "B" model. So I don't think it's so much of an opposition of HD parts, but what some would consider an improvement to a subpar design.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:55 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Yes, welding the OEM does make more sense (at least financially) than buying a Baker or SE. I'm very puzzled that there could be any noise difference between fixed, non adjustable adjusters. Many times it seems that posters oppose ANYTHING from HD, even if it may be a good product. One guy referred to the SE unit as "a piece of ****". Why ? And the Baker is better HOW ? I'm just puzzled by this anti-HD attitude that permeates the Topics sometimes.

I looked into it after you asked about it. It seems that the SE tensioner bolts up to the inner primary in a way that it transmits more vibration. The metallic vibration equals more noise. The Baker and the OEM have slightly different a mounting so they don't seem to have the noise issues.

All that said, that's what I gleaned from reading about it. The only tensioner experience I have is with the OEM auto tensioner (and even then only to check it) and the manual OEM one on my 2002 Dyna. I take that back, years ago I had a Hayden M6 on one of my bikes and it seemed to work well.