General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tire Technology and the miracle miles They Sell Us

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,164 Posts
Default New Tire Technology and the miracle miles They Sell Us

All the motorcycle tire manufacturers are now selling us this new center of the tire high density rubber compound for better mileage. They say that their multi tread compounds or high performance compounds will give us ultra high mileage. I want them to step it up on the tread depth. It's not only about better rubber. Now that they're using a harder rubber in the center of the tire, 9/32 or 10/32 that is why we're only getting 10 to 15 thousand miles out of our tires. 12/32 or 3/8 tread depth is what they need to put on these tires so we get the high mileage that we're looking for.
So if anyone from Dunlop , Avon , or Michelin is listening I want more tread depth ! Give me the miles you promise.
Rant over .

Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

While I too, would like more mileage, I'm not sure tread depth is the answer. Get too much tread depth and you introduce squirm into the tire which wouldn't be good for handling.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:14 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

10 to 15k is pretty good mileage compared to other types of motorycles. Not sure why you are complaining. Average tire life regardless of what type is around 6-8k miles. Tire companies are not going to cater to your complaint. 15k on a tire is plenty. Knowing that the average rider puts about 5-7 k a year and tire life regardless of miles is about 5 years. By the time you hit the 3rd or 4th year it's time to change tires anyways

Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
10 to 15k is pretty good mileage compared to other types of motorycles. Not sure why you are complaining. Average tire life regardless of what type is around 6-8k miles. Tire companies are not going to cater to your complaint. 15k on a tire is plenty. Knowing that the average rider puts about 5-7 k a year and tire life regardless of miles is about 5 years. By the time you hit the 3rd or 4th year it's time to change tires anyways
If the same company's can make a car that get 60 and 70k . Then I don't see why they can't make a motorcycle tire that gets 20 to 25k . Looking for 2/32 " more rubber is not a lot if your asking me .

Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

I've got 18k on my original tires now. still have plenty of tread depth. but there is some cupping, so i'll be changing them out when I do my 20k service.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I'd rather sacrifice mileage for better handling in the corners and cold & wet conditions.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 250 Posts

What I have noticed with the new Dunlops is I am getting more out of rear tires and less out of front, looks like I'll be changing tires in pairs albeit at greater intervals

Old 11-27-2015, 12:43 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I'll take the grip over the longevity. And these "new" dual compound tires have been around over 8 years. Maybe that's why high miler tourers (Goldwings) go "darkside" with car tires...

Last edited by big papa AZ; 11-27-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I got 15k on two sets of tires on my Blackline tires. And when I went in for my 5k on my BO, the guy said I was about half way to needing a new back tire. So I'm pretty happy...but I could be happier.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:42 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
company's can make a car that get 60 and 70k . Then I don't see why they can't make a motorcycle tire that gets 20 to 25k
Let's start with the basics here Ok? Ya can't compare car and bike tires.(period) Things like size, load displacement, tread requirements and design,ect,, heck simple concepts of the ride allows most folks to understand a car tire isn't designed to go into a 20°+ lean angle @ 70mph.
Economics of the Widget;
A company called Widget1 makes Widgets,, everyone needs a Widget,, they cost $20 and last 3yrs.
Widget1 knows how many Widgets are needed each year, so they built their factory and have enough employees to make just enough Widgets for everyone and make a enough money to pay all the wages and bills and stay in business.
Somebody learns how to make a better Widget, the company is Widget++, their Widget lasts for 10yrs but costs $40.
It takes awhile, but everyone soon figures out the new Widget++ is a better value and buys that one.
Nobody is buying the Widget1, the factory lays off all the employees and closes. Widget1 moves overseas where people don't have $40 and they can still sell their $20 Widget.
Widget++ has a booming business for 3yrs as all the old Widgets are being replaced with the better one. But suddenly in the 4th year of sky high profits,, sales all but stop,, nobody needs another Widget because the one they have will last 10yrs.
Widget++ is forced to layoff and close,,
6yrs later everyone's Widget begins to wear out,, but the only Widget available is the 3yr Widget from overseas and now costs $30 because of import tax.
1,000's of American Widget makers are layed off and can't afford a new Widget, while the owners of Widget1 are fat from the new surge in sales as they benefit from the cheaper labor and high sales.
Widget1 reopens a small plant stateside to appease the government and in exchange get a break in the high import tax and agree to sell the Widget for $27.50

In short,, nobody is going to make a better tire that last longer.

Oh, I forgot,, The Widget++ owners do find a small elite niche market,, they can still make their 10yr Widget but the monopoly Widget1 has on raw materials and an agreement within the governments Trans Pacific Partnership forces them to sell the 10yr Widget++ for $200. Only 1% of the people can afford to buy the Widget++.

Last edited by JohnMn; 11-27-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: New Tire Technology and the miracle miles They Sell Us