General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May need a new Battery Tender! ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:07 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default May need a new Battery Tender! ??

I've had my Battery Tender Jr since 2011 and never had a question about it's functionality. Until recently.

I'm getting some strange feedback from it now. Noticed the other day that it was blinking green. And that's after it had been plugged in for a couple of hours.

For those that don't know, when you first plug into the tender, the red light is usually steady red, indicating it is charging. Usually, after about 10 minutes max, it starts flashing green. And then after about thirty minutes, it would go to steady green and stay that way until I unplugged it.

The past week, I've noticed it blinking green a lot, and occasionally, it would blink green 5 or 6 times, then go steady red for a couple of seconds, and then start blinking green again. I unplugged it from both the bike and the wall for a couple hours, then plugged it back in and it worked fine. That is, until I was showing my brother-in-law something on the bike and turned the ignition on for a second. After I turned it off, it was red like normal for a bit, then started blinking green, again like normal. But that was yesterday and today it was still blinking green all day.

Bike and battery won't be two years old until May. Anyone have any ideas as to whether it's the tender, or the bike's battery??

Old 11-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Do you have another battery to try the tender on? Connect it to your car bv battery, for instance. I have heard a few story is about the tender Jr crapping out early. So it might be easiest to just buy a new one and return it if it turns out it's your battery

Old 11-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

According to the instructions when the green light is flashing and the red light is on the battery is 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used If neccessary.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:11 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Do you ride your bike somewhat regularly? If so just throw the tender away and live the rest of your life free and happy.

I got one with my bike, I've used it more to charge and maintain my trolling motor battery more times than minutes it's been used on my bike.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 AM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like it is bad. I've had two tenders go bad on me and mine were doing exactly what you described. One was 5 years old the other was 7 or about that.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:34 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I plugged it into the riding lawn mower, and it's doing the same thing. In fact now, it's just flashing green all the time, except it's a very rapid flash, not like it was. So in the trash it goes and a new one gets ordered tomorrow. Can't really complain. It lived about as long as batteries do, and it's a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks again!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:38 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rick58
According to the instructions when the green light is flashing and the red light is on the battery is 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used If neccessary.
When the green light is on (flashing or steady), the red light is not on.

Flashing Red: Not charging (usually unplugged)
Steady Red: Charging
Flashing Green: 80% charged, trickle charging to full.
Steady Green: Fully charged and in float mode.

That's what the label on the unit itself says, and the way it's always worked.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:02 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

So buy one.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:38 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Yuasa gets my vote as they "obviously" make batteries too. I have this discontinued 5 phase model which you can still get in Canada:

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/yua...y-charger.html

Thats 40 bux Canadian, about $29.50 USD !! Mine has been in more or less constant use for the past 2 years (Canadian Winters) and is still working like a champ.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:39 AM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, they do go bad after awhile. Just like anything else. My neighbors bike wouldn't start and his battery tender was just blinking. He borrowed one of mine and bike started right up after an overnight charge.

Quick Reply: May need a new Battery Tender! ??