General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street750

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:02 PM
jim betti
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street750

Any thoughts on the street750 for new rider? Am I correct in thinking it's more of a "city" bike..easier handling in traffic...a little more nimble for lack of a better word

Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

If you looking for a Harley as a starter bike. The street series are the least intimating for a new rider. In my opinion there are much better choices from other motorcycle brands but the street bike is still a good option for a newbie. Good luck and ride safe

Old 11-28-2015, 10:31 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My $0.02

I would consider getting a sportster before the street

Old 11-28-2015, 11:22 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I purchased a 750 for the sole purpose of riding it to the 75th Sturgis. I am 210 lbs and 6'3".

I put 2,000 miles on it before the trip and found it to be a surprisingly competent all around bike. The mpg's were at 50 to 52 after breakin. The bike will run easily at interstate speeds. It had great tracking on high speeds curves with strong cross winds.

The most surprising was how comfortable the seat was. The suspension felt just like my Vrod as it is on the firm side.

There is no question that the smaller version of the Revolution engine will do 200,000 miles as it's bigger Vrod motor does.

It is a middleweight package of good handling, strong acceleration, good braking and good fit and finish.

I did the 850 miles straight through to Sturgis in just over 12 hours as I did the return ride also. I carried my camping gear and supplies in a REI hiking back pack. I am 75 and went 75 on the interstate on a 750 and went over 750 miles. To that I added stopping at a DQ for lunch as it was their 75th year also.

I have all of the families of HD's. Sportsters, Dyna's, Softails, Touring, Trike and the Vrod and Street in my collection.

I started riding in Mar. 1956. Had about 70 bikes in my lifetime of most of the brands sold in the US and have over 400,000 miles on them over the years. In my opinion The Street is one of the best middle weight cruisers going. It will out handle a Sportster in all categories of road or track riding.

That's just my 0.02 cents worth and one of my Sportsters is a XR1200.

Any bike that is one's first bike is a "starter bike". After that there is no such thing as a starter bike.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-28-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 AM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I purchased a 750 for the sole purpose of riding it to the 75th Sturgis. I am 210 lbs and 6'3".

I put 2,000 miles on it before the trip and found it to be a surprisingly competent all around bike. The mpg's were at 50 to 52 after breakin. The bike will run easily at interstate speeds. It had great tracking on high speeds curves with strong cross winds.

The most surprising was how comfortable the seat was. The suspension felt just like my Vrod as it is on the firm side.

There is no question that the smaller version of the Revolution engine will do 200,000 miles as it's bigger Vrod motor does.

It is a middleweight package of good handling, strong acceleration, good braking and good fit and finish.

I did the 850 miles straight through to Sturgis in just over 12 hours as I did the return ride also. I carried my camping gear and supplies in a REI hiking back pack. I am 75 and went 75 on the interstate on a 750 and went over 750 miles. To that I added stopping at a DQ for lunch as it was their 75th year also.

I have all of the families of HD's. Sportsters, Dyna's, Softails, Touring, Trike and the Vrod and Street in my collection.

I started riding in Mar. 1956. Had about 70 bikes in my lifetime of most of the brands sold in the US and have over 400,000 miles on them over the years. In my opinion The Street is one of the best middle weight cruisers going. It will out handle a Sportster in all categories of road or track riding.

Any bike that is one's first bike is a "starter bike". After that there is no such thing as a starter bike.
Wow. I didn't expect that. Good for HD.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:03 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Excellent comments.

And, there are more and more aftermarket accessories becoming available. You can turn a 750 into a wheelie machine, if that's your thing.

I've had three Sportsters. Love 'em. But, if I were giving advice to a budding new rider, it would be the Street 750, hands down.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:25 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

The "street" series is HD's attempt to get first time bikers into the HD family so they can sell them a "traditional" HD down the road. They'd like to get the Shadow etc. buyer into the fold before they have the chance to see that there are worthy alternatives. That having been said, I think they are very nice bikes, but I seriously doubt they will still be in production in 5 years. Just my guess. If you want a smaller, lighter bike than a Sportster, consider the new Triumph Bonneville as well. It is a very nice bike that has now been around for about 15 years. If you want a Harley, get a 883 Sportster, new or used. Used are cheap, because they are very slow sellers on the used market.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

The street is liquid cooled and has six gears, the sportster has 5 gears and is air cooler.

It is also lighter and less weight is easier to a beginner. I've read it out accelerates the sporty as well.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Bwelsh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, we love our Street 750. Wife won't even look at the Sporty we have.

Fast, easy to handle, comfortable. It's a great ride.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM
airjoe
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I did not see that coming!!

Quick Reply: street750