General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self service in USA... did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Self service in USA... did you know?

Most self service gas station requires a zip code when you use the payment at the pump.

Canadians have a 6 digits alpha numeric zip codes and cannot use them because the pump only accepts 5 digits numeric codes.

There is a way around... use the 3 numbers of your zip code and add 00. For example if your zip code is J2E 1L7, use 21700 and it will work.

Just to let you know

Old 12-20-2015, 06:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Will it work to just use any US zip code? I will try using another zip code next time I fill up.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Jeffb_79
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Will it work to just use any US zip code? I will try using another zip code next time I fill up.
No, you must use the billing zip code for the credit card being used.
If you use a debit card, it requires the pin instead of the billing zip, unless you run it as credit... then again, requires billing zip code.
If you enter the wrong zip code a specific number of times, the card will likely be shut off by your credit company's fraud department.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:26 PM
CoffeedrinkerinNC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does a US credit card work at Canadian gas station?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerinNC
How does a US credit card work at Canadian gas station?
See below from first post. You billing zip code just as you use now.

"Canadians have a 6 digits alpha numeric zip codes and cannot use them because the pump only accepts 5 digits numeric codes."

Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Bill D.
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... we run a small family business here in California, and occasionally get a phone or on-line order from Canada. We run credit cards though our system, which requires (among other verifications) the billing address and zip code. Problem is, the credit card processor does not recognize the alpha-numeric Canadian zip codes. Called them about this, and they told us to simply run a bogus US zip code, and then accept the charges when the system prompt comes back as "invalid address". This works, but we are then charged a higher process fee. Going to try your "work around" to see if it works for us as well.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:38 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

The OP stated used for "Gas Station" pumps, I've used that system for years. That's all it's good for, not sure what US would use at our pumps. Hopefully you don't use them up here, way to much for gas here, stay down there or fill up before you come, lol.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Gilmb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank, I will have to remember that for next year when I am south. Last year, most northern states did not require the zip code at the pump, but as we got further south and west, they all required it. It was a pita having to go in to pre pay.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:36 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I only get hit with the zip code question in a few stations, seems more dependant on the card at least in MO. Not to many full service stations left around. Guess that why the big box auto parts stores started doing auto service and rebuilds in their parking lots.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:55 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Most self service stations in the US require zip codes when you pay at the pump?

That's news to me and I live here. Haven't seen this in North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, Iowa, California, Arizona, Iowa , Missouri and Arkansas.

Quick Reply: Self service in USA... did you know?