General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD half helmet intercom

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:50 PM
tuneman59
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD half helmet intercom

Hey all, I am new here and i was snooping around trying to get some answers about an issue with my intercom headset.
I didn't see an answer to my issue although there were suggestions. I didn't feel any applied to the problem I am encountering. I ride 2011 Ultra and i have never used the intercom system. I decided to buy a couple headsets off eBay. One was new and was a std. set. It works fine. I missed the auction on the other set so I bid on a premium set. Looking at them I see no difference except for the case and the clothing clip. Anyway, long story short the premium set doesn't work. Go figure! The std. set was new, the premium set was used a few times and a little over a year old. The speakers work fine but the microphone doesn't work at all. I have tried everything and checked out the manual as well. I swapped out the head sets so i am positive it is the microphone. There is nothing obviously wrong with it like it being broken or anything. I pulled the earpiece on the mic side apart and all wires are connected and no amount of wiggling them makes a difference. Does anyone have anything else to add that I might try? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2015, 01:59 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

1) check the pin where the wire plugs into the bike. I believe some older headsets used a five-pin plug; newer ones use a 7-pin;
2) check that your VOX is set and compatible with your headset.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:25 PM
tuneman59
6th Gear

I plugged the std. set in the passenger plug and the premium set in the rider plug. when the premium set didn't work I switched the headsets and left the coiled cords plugged in. It is clearly the microphone on the premium set that is not functioning. It just doesn't appear to be anything obvious. Thanks

Oh, I also tried the vox setting and turned it off as well and used PTT. You can hear the difference when you push the PTT button as a hiss in the earpiece but there is no sound from the mic.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-21-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:37 PM
BOBLAND
Road Captain

Probably why the guy was selling it on eBay. eBay buyer protection will kick in if you file a claim. Did he advertise as is or working? Depends on how long ago you bought it too.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 PM
tuneman59
6th Gear

I just got it today. The guy didn't really make any claims. He listed it as used/ in great shape. It is actually in good shape except that the mic doesn't work. The pouch and everything else is great. He doesn't take returns, his communication was good. He told me it worked when he used it the few times that he did use it and that he sold his bike and couldn't test it. So I was the only bidder and got it for $40. I can't really complain, I am just trying to see if I have any options as far as fixing it. I should have known better than to buy used. I see pics of the headset on the packaging and see a little HD insignia on the ear piece but this headset looks exactly like the non-premium boom headset I bought earlier. It clearly isn't any nicer other than the clip and the pouch. At this point I am wondering if I should just take the hit and use the clip and pouch for the first set I bought and go for a new premium set. These things won't stand a chance in the tour pack without the case. Thanks

Old 12-21-2015, 03:22 PM
BOBLAND
Road Captain

Even if he doesn't take returns eBay will make him refund your money and pay for return shipping. Don't get stuck with something that may have even bounced around and broke in shipping. Trust me. I have over $205,000 in eBay sales.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Welcome and good luck.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:46 AM
wethead103
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Tuneman59....I purchased a new premium headset a couple months ago from Harley, Used it twice and the mic quite working. Took it back to Harley for replacement under warranty. The parts guy said that he see's this a lot. You might want to look at the J&M headset, a little pricey however, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Good Luck!!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 AM
dataman2
Advanced

I use an IMC set with my half helmet. Works better than the HD set I bought after getting the Limited.

Quick Reply: HD half helmet intercom