General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Flag

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Lawrence Kauderer
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Flag

In 1981, after a group of executives conducted a leveraged by back from AMF, Harley Davidson was in very poor condition. I remember hearing from people at dealerships that they didn't expect Harley Davidson would be around in the next couple of years. But, people were very surprised at how Harley Davidson went from being a basket case to actually having waiting lists to purchase bikes in the 90's. This transformation didn't happen by accident. It took everyone employed by Harley Davidson to work extremely hard, make sacrifices, and complete determination and commitment. However, I have been noticing some very disturbing trends. Harley Davidson's stock has sharply decreased, they are losing market share, and have laid off employees. There seems to be a consensus of opinion that Harley Davidson's struggles are the result of a strengthening of the dollar and weakening of the yen. This allows Japanese manufactures to undercut Harley Davidson's prices. At the same time, Harley Davidson is not lowering their prices and this causes a decline in sales. I am by know means an expert on these issues. But, it seems that Harley Davidson is gambling that the market will correct itself. I would be interested to hear peoples opinions about this strategy, what could happen if this doesn't work, and how they could counterbalance this problem.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:45 AM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Do a search as this topic has been beat to death.

And this is your first post?

Old 12-25-2015, 09:47 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

HD stock is correcting itself. It was artificially inflated a year ago and is back to where it was 5 years ago. Nothing to worry about at this point. Almost every Corp is I the same boat.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Christmas troll?

Old 12-25-2015, 09:59 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

It's funny how the Internet forums and online community has morphed the word "troll" into meaning anything a person doesn't agree with.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,379 Likes on 1,163 Posts

I think that they should lower there prices. But they will cry to the government like they did in the late 70's and just have the import tax raised. But now the difference is Victory and Indian are American and you can't put tarrifs on them . So they're in a corner and forced to compete against the competition. They need to start making more then just motorcycles like Polaris !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 12-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence Kauderer
In 1981, after a group of executives conducted a leveraged by back from AMF, Harley Davidson was in very poor condition. I remember hearing from people at dealerships that they didn't expect Harley Davidson would be around in the next couple of years. But, people were very surprised at how Harley Davidson went from being a basket case to actually having waiting lists to purchase bikes in the 90's. This transformation didn't happen by accident. It took everyone employed by Harley Davidson to work extremely hard, make sacrifices, and complete determination and commitment. However, I have been noticing some very disturbing trends. Harley Davidson's stock has sharply decreased, they are losing market share, and have laid off employees. There seems to be a consensus of opinion that Harley Davidson's struggles are the result of a strengthening of the dollar and weakening of the yen. This allows Japanese manufactures to undercut Harley Davidson's prices. At the same time, Harley Davidson is not lowering their prices and this causes a decline in sales. I am by know means an expert on these issues. But, it seems that Harley Davidson is gambling that the market will correct itself. I would be interested to hear peoples opinions about this strategy, what could happen if this doesn't work, and how they could counterbalance this problem.
Is this your own personal observation and opinion, or did you harvest it from another source?

Do you own a Harley - if not, what's your particular interest in this subject?
https://www.facebook.com/lawrence.kauderer

My opinion - they're here to stay, ....not going anywhere.

Last edited by 1004ron; 12-25-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Is this your own personal observation and opinion, or did you harvest it from another source?

My opinion - they're here to stay, ....not going anywhere.
Is this your own personal observation and opinion, or did you harvest it from another source? ... My thoughts too. Obviously Santa didn't stop at his house last evening otherwise he's had not had time open all his presents ... AND ... write the lengthy post :>)

Old 12-25-2015, 10:55 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

What I heard is going to happen is that Honda is going to buy out Harley-Davidson. They will then close all US based manufacturing and replace the current model lineup with rebadged, leftover 1988 Shadows.

I'm pretty sure this is true because I read it on the internet.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
It's funny how the Internet forums and online community has morphed the word "troll" into meaning anything a person doesn't agree with.
Wrong. This is the OP'S first post on these forums and this is how he introduces himself?'

Quick Reply: Red Flag