General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona 2016 Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Daytona 2016 Suggestions?

Last year was my first year at Daytona Bike Week, and I spent the majority of my time with a group who didn't visit any Daytona specific events or vendor exhibits. This year, I want to take full advantage, so I'll be there the entire week, and I'll be a mile away from the Hilton which I consider ground zero. I'd like some suggestions for can't miss experiences, please.

So far, I plan to visit Rossmeyer's Harley and the J&P store. I'd also like to take a look at some Rods & Rides custom bikes. I believe they're down there each year. Perhaps the Baker Transmission fellas, too. It'd be nice to roll back to Augusta with an extra gear.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Destination Daytona is not just Rossmeyers and J & P. Lots of big name vendors are in the parking lot plus there are stores and other vendors right there (Baker for example). You can easily spend most of the day walking around, or ride your bike to a specific vendor and get pipes, lights, windshield, radios etc.

Speedway Race Track is another spot with vendors galore. Here you will find the seat vendors, more lights, pipes, T shirts, sunglasses, patches, leather. Easy to spend half a day + there.

Beach Street has other vendors and stores that open for Bike Week. Main Street is full of stores and merchandise brought in for Bike Week and bars of course, and bikes cruising.

The Loop is a nice ride. Don't forget Iron Horse and the other bars.

Last edited by uklauren; 01-23-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is a cut and paste from another post I did:

The key areas are:
Main St
Beach St
Destination Daytona
Iron Horse Saloon and close bars
The Speedway
The Cabbage Patch

From the Daytona Speedway, Speedway Blvd (or really anyplace in the area) is an easy run to the areas that will interest you.

Speedway Blvd. east dumps you on Beach St where there are a ton of vendors.
Beach St North a few blocks will dump you out at the base of the Main St bridge heading east.
Main St. is the parade... All the bikes, and a ton of bands, bars, vendors etc.

Speedway Blvd. west to I-4 north up to the Ormond Beach Exit US1.
1 block north on 1 is Rossmeyer Harley and Destination Daytona.
A mile or 2 south on 1 and you will hit the Iron Horse and a few other bars.

Ask local to get to the Cabbage Patch. I can drive there, but don't know the road names.

The must-hit places for the first timer:
-- ******* Tropical Tattoo Bike Show. The dates haven't been posted yet. Not your yuppy trophy bikes, Bikes built in garages by hand. Crazy variety. Run what you brung, ride the bike in and enter it. Cold beer on site grab one and see the best garage builds all in one place.
-- Main Street to see the show.
-- Boot Hill Saloon at the top of Main
-- Iron Horse Saloon on US1 (if you are there at dinner time, steak and taters with a beer, thank me later. paper plate and eat on your lap)
-- Destination Daytona (not my thing but everyone should see the worlds largest Harley dealer, JP Cycles and the vendors there)
-- The flat track races at the Speedway (you will have to check the dates to see when they are running) Same for the Supercross races if that is in your wheelhouse.
-- Walk Beach St to see the vendors.
-- The Cabbage Patch if you have time just to say you've been there. If you can hit it on a day they are wrestling, go then. That way you can not only say you've been but also WTF am I doing watching this?!!! A bit like a gruesome car accident on the highway, you just can't look away.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-22-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm guessing Lauren meant Beach St instead of Bridge St. It has a ton of vendors, some permanent factory dealers such as Indian and Triumph, plus quite a few year round independent dealers in the neighborhood.

Cabbage Patch is on Tomoka Farms Rd, aka County Rd 415. From the speedway, head west on Rte 92 and take a left at the first light after you go under I-95. Go past the big Flea Market entrance and then straight about 9, maybe 10 miles. You can't miss it. Cole Slaw Wrestling is usually on Wed & I think they added Sat.

Beaver Bar on the Ormond Strip has the best food and beer prices. Gotta be the only restaurant within a 100 miles that doesn't raise their prices during Bike Week. $2 beers! They are across the street from the Iron Horse Saloon, which has the absolute best Steak Tips in the world and some pretty good entertainment going on all day.

Best entertainment, year after year, is "The Razorbacks" who perform at the Bank & Blues on Main St just about every night. Good music, good show, wild time. Main St Station and The Boothill Saloon (always have the best T-Shirts) usually have pretty good bands too.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:25 AM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Sounds like I'm going to have a full plate, and with 7 days, I believe I can do it all.

With a little luck, I'm hopeful that I can find a baffle for my 2-1 pipe that's been unrecognizable to everyone who has looked at it. I've had loud pipes before, but this one is nuts. Maybe have the bike thrown on a dyno to see what kind of numbers I'm getting after my recent engine build, too?

Six weeks away!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:27 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Take plenty of pictures of babes on bikes

Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Sounds like I'm going to have a full plate, and with 7 days, I believe I can do it all.

With a little luck, I'm hopeful that I can find a baffle for my 2-1 pipe that's been unrecognizable to everyone who has looked at it. I've had loud pipes before, but this one is nuts. Maybe have the bike thrown on a dyno to see what kind of numbers I'm getting after my recent engine build, too?

Six weeks away!
If you want a dyno run, Speeds Performance is always set up at Destination Daytona. You may want to check out their web site and make an appointment as they are usually swamped.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I went to Bike Week from 1970 to 1995. It has lost its thrill. To me it's like Vegas with everybody connected with the event doing all they can to get ALL your money in one sitting. It's just not as much fun as it used to be.

I'll stay home and use my money to support my local shops, visit my local gin mills, tip the local staff and enjoy the times spent visiting with like minded people without all the pushing, shoving, baby strollers and fender to fender traffic. When I spend my money here I know it's appreciated not just expected.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:08 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Go to Willis tropical tattoo for the bike show. It's normally on the first Thursday. Also robisons is throwing a big party with s&s and biltwell. I live a few cities away from daytona and I have a bunch of buddies that own these shops. Do the loop and ride to ponce inlet

Last edited by misfitJason; 01-23-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:17 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I went to Bike Week from 1970 to 1995. It has lost its thrill. To me it's like Vegas with everybody connected with the event doing all they can to get ALL your money in one sitting. It's just not as much fun as it used to be.

I'll stay home and use my money to support my local shops, visit my local gin mills, tip the local staff and enjoy the times spent visiting with like minded people without all the pushing, shoving, baby strollers and fender to fender traffic. When I spend my money here I know it's appreciated not just expected.
Good job. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Daytona 2016 Suggestions?