General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Places to stop/see HWY 1 from SF to LA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:41 AM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Places to stop/see HWY 1 from SF to LA?

Hi,

Me and a friend are driving from SF to LA in a few days. We'll stop in Santa Cruz and we'd like to see Big Sur but don't know where a good stop is - and apart from that, we're blank until we hit Roland Sands around LA.

If any of you have suggestions for good stops, including good places to stay, biker friendly places, we'd love to hear from you.

Best
Rex

Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I would do a search. You should turn up some gems. When we rolled through we stopped at a nice coffee shop in Big Sur, but that was about the extent of it. I would Google The Rock Shop, Mulholland, and Alice's Restaurant. Not necessarily on Hwy 1, but worth the drive I hear.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:50 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

Last year the wife and I jumped on the 1/101 at Ventura northbound, stopped at Santa Barbra, Morro Bay(Legends), Cambria(for night at San Simeon Pines), San Simeon, Bixby Bridge, Carmel by the Sea and Monterey(for night at Americas Best Value). We weren't in any rush, took our time and enjoyed the sights. Lots of cool places to relax, eat/drink, whatever pleases you.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
Last year the wife and I jumped on the 1/101 at Ventura northbound, stopped at Santa Barbra, Morro Bay(Legends), Cambria(for night at San Simeon Pines), San Simeon, Bixby Bridge, Carmel by the Sea and Monterey(for night at Americas Best Value). We weren't in any rush, took our time and enjoyed the sights. Lots of cool places to relax, eat/drink, whatever pleases you.
I have made this trip several times and the list here is a good one, the best advice is take your time, enjoy the ride and stop when you see something that interests you. The winter ride will be less traffic, but not as much activity to see when it come to the para sailing, wind surfing, even the sea lions etc aren't as much out, but the natural landscape will be there and depending on the storms out to sea, how dramatic the wave action will be.

Have fun!

Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

You can only ride PCH 1 to San Luis Obispo, then you have to pick up the 101. You can take 101 easier if you take the 46 into Paso Robles, only thing is, you will miss Morro Bay going this way.
While on the 1 just south of San Simeon (make sure to see the elephant seals on the beach there) take Hwy 46 towards Paso Robles. Lots of wineries and then there is the Firestone Walker Brewery when you hit 101.
San Luis Obispo is a nice little town. Take the Marsh St. exit and roll down to the old mission. Park your bikes and walk around the downtown area.

Last edited by Apendejo; 01-31-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:02 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

It's a beautiful ride. It can get cold & a bit windy in spots. Hopefully you'll see someone whale watching & be able to look through there telescope. Santa Cruz has a cool amusement park.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:44 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Here~

During motoGP week...

No motorcycles allowed on "17 Mile Drive."

Monterey Bay (Try the clam chowder at the Fish Hopper!)

You'll want to do this...

Old 01-31-2016, 01:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Almost forgot~ you might want to take a side trip that not that far away...(HWY 36.)

You're going to see 500 miles of this~

If you like waterfalls, there's always Yosemite!

Merced River (in Yosemite.)

Old 01-31-2016, 01:58 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Southbound, on the 1.

This one is better...

Or go where the big trees are...

Old 01-31-2016, 02:08 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Eat at Rio Grill on highway 1 on Carmel Valley rd. Drive 17 mile drive. Stop and see Hearst Castle near Cambria. there is a terrific seafood restaurant on the small pier in Morro Bay. SLO has a variety of very good places to eat.

Stop and see some of the missions along the way, Santa Cruz, Carmel, San Luis Obispo San Juan Capitrano etc. All very interesting historical locations even if you're not Catholic (and I'm not )

Quick Reply: Places to stop/see HWY 1 from SF to LA?