General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just started working for Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I am in the area (on the Virginia side of the river). Maybe I'll stop by and say hello some time when I'm riding over there.

I can only give you advice from the customer perspective. When I was looking to buy my first Harley years ago, I walked into a dealership (to remain unnamed) and told the salesman I was looking for a Sportster. The salesman said, "A Sportster's too small for you" and then almost immediately lost interest in talking to me. I walked out and ultimately bought my Sportster elsewhere.

When I bought my next bike, I never even considered going back to that dealer. And the dealer that treated me respectfully has had all of my repeat business (plus my parts business and service business....) And I have recommended my salesman to several of my friends. He was a good (and tough) negotiator but I respected him and he respected me. So, my advice--Don't denigrate what someone says they want. You can try to educate, but don't belittle. Even if you're right, and another bike might be a better fit, it will come off like you are trying to push them to a more expensive bike for your benefit, not theirs, unless you handle it very tactfully.

February is the slowest month for bike riding and presumably for bike sales around here. But, as you know, spring arrives in March. You will have lots of walk-ins. Greet people at or near the door (or at least when they start looking at bikes vs. heading for the t-shirts). Ask if you can help them. From what I have seen alot of people feel uneasy walking into a Harley dealership for the first time. They're not sure they really belong there. If nobody seems interested in them, they might turn around and leave. Even if all you end up doing is pointing them to the parts counter, you will have made an impression. You can't tell who is a real customer and who just wants to look. I am always surprised when I ride up to a dealer around the country and walk in dressed in riding clothes and no one even says "hello." Friendly goes a long way!

Good luck!
>> This is right on the money. My dealership has someone sitting right up front behind a nice desk. They greet every customer who comes in with a genuinely friendly "hello". This spot is never vacant. If this person has to use the bathroom someone from sales or parts mans that station. There is always someone there to say hello. For some weird reason people think there are going to be a bunch of Hells Angles waiting inside the dealership. Not true. And by the way the Hells Angles that I have met are super nice people anyway. Great post.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'd be a terrible HD motorcycle salesman.

I'd spend all my time talking about riding/traveling to potential customers and then convince them they need to wear out the bike they already have instead of buying a new one. I'd probably be fired for it but I'd sit down and do the math for some of these younger folks getting banged up for financing; I mean 120 months on a motorcycle???

Old 02-10-2016, 05:49 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Use your downtime to look for other opportunities. I've rarely seen HD salesman in a dealership for more than a year.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I have had a very lucrative 25 year career in Medical Device sales and although selling HDs is different than what I am selling there are many principles that carry over.

Be a resource for your customers - Not only know your bikes top to bottom but know the major competitors and how your bike compares. In your business it is important to also know and understand all the financing options.

Service - Be the point man for anything you customer needs at the dealership. Keep in contact after the sale via text, call or email just a short message thanking them for buying from you, making sure their bike is up to their expectations and and offering any help they may need with any issues

Honesty/integrity - These are the two most important attributes of any professional salesman. Customers are not stupid and they will see through any bull ****. Many Harley owners are extremely knowledgeable if you are asked a question and you do not know the answer do not hesitate to admit that and assure them you will get the answer for them. Don't be afraid to pull out a note pad or notes on your phone and make yourself a note to find that answer. Above all else find the answer and get it to the customer

Great every customer that walks in because you never know who is a buyer and who is not. I have walked in dealerships where no one gives me the time of day, like I am going to ask them to show me a bike, I would not buy a damn thing there just because of that. Do not be an over bearing salesman where they feel like you are hounding them around every corner. Treat them as if you are welcoming them to your home, make them feel comfortable.

Use questions to probe
What brings you in today?
Do you currently ride? what bike?
What is it that you love about your current bike? What would you change?

If its a current owner and he obviously has no interest in a new bike and is just in to visit look at whats new etc... Ask if you can pick his brain for a minute so that you may better help other customers.
What made him decide on the bike he purchased? What does he like about his bike, what would he change?
How was his buying experience? what was good what was bad
This can make the customer feel good that his input is of value, you get to know him better so that he will come to you for a next bike or recommend friends.

Use as many questions as statements. Questions is how you uncover the buyers needs/objections. Above all "SHUT UP AND LISTEN" you will learn more about the customer when your mouth is shut and he is talking. Until you fully understand his needs and offer a solution you will not make the sale. Understand the objections and have the facts to overcome the objections.

If a couple walks in do not put all your emphasis on the man, most of us won't admit it but the wife being sold on the deal can make or break the deal

As far as leads my business is vastly different from you as I know any hospital with a Heart Cath lab is a potential customer so I don't have to find leads. For you I would say never be without a business card, introduce yourself to everyone that walks through the door and give them a card. If they are in for a Tshirt just a short introduction letting them know you are there if they need any help goes a long way. Are there bike nights in your area or week end ride destinations if so be there with cards. Don't be pushy trying to make a sale then, as they are just looking to enjoy themselves not get hooked into a buying discussion. Just do a general discussion to introduce yourself as a friend not a salesman. Honestly I would not even mention salesman to them until the end. Just converse with them as you would if your not in sales and are looking to make a new friend then as you part ways say BTW I am a salesman at the HD dealership if you ever have any questions give me a call, pass them your card and leave it at that

That's it off the top of my head, hopefully some of it helps
Remember this time a year at most dealerships is slow use that time to become an expert about the bikes, financing etc.. so when Spring comes and folks are wanting to ride you are prepared
Good luck

Last edited by Mxdad; 02-10-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
.....clip

I can only give you advice from the customer perspective. When I was looking to buy my first Harley years ago, I walked into a dealership (to remain unnamed) and told the salesman I was looking for a Sportster. The salesman said, "A Sportster's too small for you" and then almost immediately lost interest in talking to me. I walked out and ultimately bought my Sportster elsewhere.

When I bought my next bike, I never even considered going back to that dealer. And the dealer that treated me respectfully has had all of my repeat business (plus my parts business and service business....) And I have recommended my salesman to several of my friends. He was a good (and tough) negotiator but I respected him and he respected me. So, my advice--Don't denigrate what someone says they want. You can try to educate, but don't belittle. Even if you're right, and another bike might be a better fit, it will come off like you are trying to push them to a more expensive bike for your benefit, not theirs, unless you handle it very tactfully.

....clip
This is exactly what happened to me. Actually, my wife and I stopped in and it felt like we just were not 'biker' enough. Really pissed us off; got right back in the car and drove over to the next closest dealer. We were treated professionally (even though we didn't 'look' the part), and bought a Sportster. When I wanted to move up, went right back and bought the RK.

Great post.....and thread.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Hmmm!

Roughly 28 minutes before the Mod censored you, not a record but surely a good start.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:47 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,280 Likes on 10,259 Posts

Get to know every customer in the store.
Don't just hang out in the showroom.
One of my riding buddys went to the dealer to pick up an oil filter, left with a new Softail Custom.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Old 02-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

My experience with an H-D salesman.

Went into my local H-D dealership in 2013 looking for an 2013 FLTRXSE in Orange, they had sold the one on the floor, I asked if they would locate another for me. The "Salesman" directed me to a Non- CVO Street Glide and told me it was the same bike "basically".

I bought the 13 CVO RoadGlide from a dealer other than the local.

Don't be that guy!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Went to an Indian dealer today. Very nice fellow greeted and talked to me. Never asked my name. After I said I had a Harley, he asked me nothing else about it, why I was in the dealership, what didn't I like about my bike, what did I like, what interested me in Indian or Victory. Nothing.

Quick Reply: I just started working for Harley Davidson