General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just started working for Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Sooo..... sold any bikes yet?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:32 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 562 Likes on 313 Posts

I have never heard of an honest salesman

Old 02-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,019 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
I have never heard of an honest salesman
My dad was an honest salesman. Most honest and respectable man I ever met in my life.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:16 PM
orange52
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

In a nutshell, don't be a douche and don't let a douchey sales manager run off your customers.

I bought my "new" bike from a dealer two hours from where I live because they treated me like they wanted me to be there, whether I bought a bike or not. They talked numbers with me over the phone and didn't demand I be in the stealership. They found me a better interest rate than my bank, fed me lunch, gave me $100 store credit, delivered the new (used 2014 SG) to my house, and picked up my trade. (again, 2hr trek each way)

The local dealer tried to sell me a 6 year old RG for more than I got my 14 SG for and the sales manager told me they weren't inclined to go above and beyond on a bike they didn't sell. He was trying to pressure me using his crappy service dept as leverage. It failed.

Funny thing is, because I didn't buy from them, when I see that salesman now, he pouts. He won't talk to me, just puts his head down and stomps away.

I was straight forward with these guys. Told them what I was looking for, my price point, even told them I was making the trip the next day to look at other bikes but if they could get me on a bike I want at the price I need to be at, I'd buy there. I guess they didn't think I was serious.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 621 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by garylane07
Anyone have any advice on how to get leads or other ways to fish? I am out of leads so I am just sitting here on this forum and facebook, talking to everyone i know trying to find people to call and talk to.
- Use store records to contact customers who bought a bike 2-3 years ago.
- Ask your manager to share or request leads from the Motor Company (the MoCo collects leads at major shows, rallies, factory sponsored events, etc.).
- Ask friends and family if they know anyone in the market for a new/used bike.
- Use your social media pages to invite folks to stop by (get sales manager approval first).

Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Soooo... sold any bikes yet?

1st post.... 2-9-16. Last post... 2-9-16

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremer-pxl
Ride/Own a harley. nothing worse than some dude not knowing a damn thing about bikes. It is uncomfortable for the customer and makes the salesperson look like an idiot.
It's funny, I asked to see my salesmans bike long before I say down with him.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by garylane07
I just became a salesman for Harley Davidson of Washington, DC.

Anyone in the area or already a customer of the shop? I am just on here to reach out and see if I can meet some local faces.

Also, If anyone is a salesman and wants to share some tricks on how to do the job more efficiently I am all ears!

Been quite a few years since I was in a sales job, but here's what I'd offer up for you to consider...

Customers come in all different personality types, and they each have a unique approach to decision-making. Simply having a go-to set of conversation pieces, or a script to work from, will only work in so many situations.

So, rather than simply being knowledgeable about your product, it pays to be knowledgeable about different types of people, and their different ways of making decisions, and how they need to connect with you.

For instance, knowing all the spec sheet information from the latest OEM flyer might be helpful to one person to believe that you're knowledgeable and trustworthy enough to buy from. Another potential buyer however, may only see value in your ability to react intelligently to his mention of re-jetting his carburetor last week, with a working knowledge of something you won't even be selling new anymore.

For some, it comes down to price.

For some, it comes down to relationship.

For some, it comes down to security in the future.

For some, it comes down to the minimum amount of hassle right now.

For some, it comes down to selection.

For some, it comes down to having to feel like they are respected and/or recognized.

For some, it comes down to you just being in the right place at the right time.

When I did sell, it was in an industry for which I had a degree, could speak knowledgeably about to anyone, and had a working knowledge of repair.

All that knowledge though, came in second to just being a stand-up guy that people wanted to chat with. For that to work, the hardest part was getting out of my own way, and realizing that how I wanted the sale to go didn't mean a thing--it's how they needed it to go for them that was the right answer.

Once it's going right for them, the close is nearly automatic. If it isn't going right for them, the close is nearly impossible.

All the best,

Shane

Old 03-07-2016, 01:49 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

My brother had a good experience with his salesman Ray, so when I went in he introduced me. I saw my future sporty sitting in the used area and looked it over. Ray talked to me casually, didn't force anything on me. Price looked good, I took it for a test ride and liked it. But I wanted to go test some other bikes in cities nearby.

I did that and decided I wanted the sporty so I came back and bought it from him.

Everytime I go back Ray is always super cool, wants to shoot the **** or look at what I've done on my bike. Just laid back. He knows how much I work on this bike and how he most likely will never sell me another bike, I even told him that. But he's always cool, just a dude you'd want to hang out with. And he will peel off when he sees someone he thinks he can sell to.

Because of his interactions with my brother, he sold me a bike, as well as one of my brothers friends. If I knew anyone who wanted to buy a bike, guess who I'd send them to?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Hope you like ramen noodles :>)
Beings they are on the brink of going under, good luck with that gig.

Quick Reply: I just started working for Harley Davidson