General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Winter" in Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking "Winter" in Arizona

I've had my 2010 Dyna Super Glide for a several weeks now and having passed the 1,000 mile "get it dialed in" mark it was time for my bride to saddle up and join me for her first ride. While it is in fact winter, here in southern Arizona.... not so much. We left at 9 with temps in the mid 50's and climbing rapidly as the sun rose over the Catalina mountains.

Stopped at the local HD dealer for coffee and her first look at a full on Harley Davidson showroom. She was a tad overwhelmed by all they offer and by the time we left around 10 the temp was up into the 60's. I took her out through Gate's Pass, down to and through Saguaro National Park for some of the most scenic twisties in Arizona. North to the Cattleman's Cafe in Marana for an awesome lunch and then back to Catalina via Park Link Drive (18 miles of Saguaro lined twisty), and highway 79. {After lunch I unlayered down to just the light summer mesh jacket}.

I chose to avoid I-10 and we ended up logging 126 miles. By the time we returned home it was up to 79 degrees and still climbing (got to 83 at 3:30). My bride was nothing but delighted by the comfort the SG delivers. Between the smooth torquey power, the custom cruising seat and the "Chamber of Commerce Day" weather it was a great first experience on a Harley.

The forecast is calling for low 80's for another week so we might just have to head out again real soon.

Last edited by Capt Steve; 02-09-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds like a great ride. We like Park Link too. Today ten of us went from the East Valley to Gold Canyon, through Florence to Oracle for Taco Tuesday, then to Winkelman, Superior and back toward Mesa. A little over 200 miles for me.
AZ winters are the best riding days.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,191 Likes on 5,618 Posts

31 degrees and six inches of snow today here in good ol' Pennsylvania. Enjoy that "winter" weather guys

Old 02-09-2016, 05:32 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

All Y'all need to quit giving up our secrets... It ALWAYS 110 here just hot hot hot. Stay away.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah, I prefer to tell people that there is a lot of room here so throw that snow shovel away an come on over to the bright sunny side. I just went to the store here in Phoenix and its in the low 80's, My brethren in my home town of Duluth Minnesota are in the single digits. As I sit here i can hear kids playing soccer out in the field. I rode to San Diego for the weekend and it was epic! Seriously, I just wish I wouldn't have waited so long to move to the endless Summer.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,191 Likes on 5,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
I've had my 2010 Dyna Super Glide for a several weeks now and having passed the 1,000 mile "get it dialed in" mark it was time for my bride to saddle up and join me for her first ride. While it is in fact winter, here in southern Arizona.... not so much. We left at 9 with temps in the mid 50's and climbing rapidly as the sun rose over the Catalina mountains.

Stopped at the local HD dealer for coffee and her first look at a full on Harley Davidson showroom. She was a tad overwhelmed by all they offer and by the time we left around 10 the temp was up into the 60's. I took her out through Gate's Pass, down to and through Saguaro National Park for some of the most scenic twisties in Arizona. North to the Cattleman's Cafe in Marana for an awesome lunch and then back to Catalina via Park Link Drive (18 miles of Saguaro lined twisty), and highway 79. {After lunch I unlayered down to just the light summer mesh jacket}.

I chose to avoid I-10 and we ended up logging 126 miles. By the time we returned home it was up to 79 degrees and still climbing (got to 83 at 3:30). My bride was nothing but delighted by the comfort the SG delivers. Between the smooth torquey power, the custom cruising seat and the "Chamber of Commerce Day" weather it was a great first experience on a Harley.

The forecast is calling for low 80's for another week so we might just have to head out again real soon.

Whats with your rear pipe on your bike? Something looks off

Old 02-09-2016, 06:57 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

OP~ Your wife's comfort will be paramount to her (and your) moto experience. If she gets "saddle sore" then invest in "air hawk" seat pads. I take it she has all the protective gear, right? Things like an FXRG jacket and pants is what I'm thinking.

There's are roads in Arizona called "89 and 89A." Ride them.

When it gets stupid hot there, ride to Sandy Eggo. Or Monterey, or Yosemite, or Sequoia, or the Redwoods, or, or, or...

Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink Since you asked....

"Whats with your rear pipe on your bike? Something looks off"

Nothing wrong there. The original owner modified the two into one, straight pipes - no muff. Don 't know the name of who drew it up but seems to work just fine. Plenty of power (sounds awesome and yes, it is loud), breaths well and decent mileage.

As far as the comments on keeping the bride happy... it has been my habit for nearly 46 years. We both always ride with "all the gear all the time" {Atgatt - used to ride a BMW}. Armor at the knees, butt, elbows, shoulders and back, helmet, gloves and boots.

Went down hard a number of years ago (dropped doing 75 on the freeway) and it wasn't pretty. Had I been wearing all the gear that day probably would have walked (limped), away vs a week in the ICU and a permanently screwed right knee.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:50 AM
King Nothing
Cruiser
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of that weather, but I'm glad you're out there enjoying it!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

It's been 80 here since early Feb and the forecast is 80 for the next 2 weeks. It's almost too hot. 😎

Quick Reply: "Winter" in Arizona