General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer rear caliper pin bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:22 PM
BigT-91
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Springer rear caliper pin bolt stuck

The bottom pin bolt on the rear caliper of my 91 Springer is stuck and in trying to get it loose I managed to strip it out. It's a Torx bolt. I have heated it up and tried two different kinds of easy outs and it will not move. The top one came out easy. Neither one is rusty. I am assuming that both bolts turn counter clockwise to come out. Is this right? I have heard of people using a Dremel tool to grind a notch in the head to use a screw driver but I can't get a Dremel tool in there without grinding things I don't want to grind. Also using a hacksaw blade to cut a notch but can't get that in there either. I have also tried to grab it with a visegrip. This should have been an easy 20 minute job, but NOOO! What can I do now. Can I get the caliper off the bike without taking out these bolts? If I could get it on the bench I might be able to deal with it. Need help, want to ride.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

When my exhaust header bolt snapped on the Shovelhead, it broke off just under the flush line....
Tried various ez-outs...no love. Too narrow a bolt (hole) to do anything to give it a cut for a flathead. My buddy drilled it out...going progressively larger with drill bits until he was about to touch the threads. Real steady hand he had. Then we used steel picks...starting with one with a 90* bend on the end...to basically scrape out the remains of the bolt threads that were in the grooves of the threads on the head. Tedious work..but..it worked. Basically it would grip and you'd spin the pick along the threading..taking out half pieces and a few full twists of bolt thread.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:09 PM
BigT-91
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

With my luck, if I tried that I would ruin the threads in the caliper. Do you think a nice sharp chisel would cut the notches for a screw driver without breaking the head of the bolt?

Old 03-05-2016, 01:52 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Worth a try...a few taps one way....then flip the chisel 180* to the bevel will drive the other way..make a wider "cut" sort of speak..

You got a benzy torch on there heatin' it up?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT-91
With my luck, if I tried that I would ruin the threads in the caliper. Do you think a nice sharp chisel would cut the notches for a screw driver without breaking the head of the bolt?

Think dremel tool and cutoff wheel to make a slot, chisels just gonna make the mess worse. Oh do a few heat / cool cycles with a mapp gas torch before you get busy on it.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Be careful with the heat as the caliper puck has a rubber seal and you might damage it. Drexel cut off wheel to make a slot is my vote.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:50 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

Old shop mechanic/machinist here. If I had to deal with that, I'd go to a large hardware, a machine shop supply house or online, and get a set of LEFT-HANDED drill bits, and a 45 degree countersink bit.

Use the countersink bit to make a nice guide indentation in the center of the bolt, Then set my drill for 'reverse' and use the reverse drill bits to drill on the bolt.

Since the drill is grabbing in the direction to remove the bolt, most times the drill force, combined with the heat and vibration of drilling will spin that sucker right out of there.

Start with a small drill bit and work up in size.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by OlAndrew
Old shop mechanic/machinist here. If I had to deal with that, I'd go to a large hardware, a machine shop supply house or online, and get a set of LEFT-HANDED drill bits, and a 45 degree countersink bit.

Use the countersink bit to make a nice guide indentation in the center of the bolt, Then set my drill for 'reverse' and use the reverse drill bits to drill on the bolt.

Since the drill is grabbing in the direction to remove the bolt, most times the drill force, combined with the heat and vibration of drilling will spin that sucker right out of there.

Start with a small drill bit and work up in size.

Good luck!
This. I've done it a lot. As said, start out small and work your way up. Just be sure to get the first hole centered. Works like a champ. Go slow and keep your drill bit oiled. It'll come out.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I'd try to tap an allen wrech into the bolt. Possibly one might fit the stripped out Torx bolt. Another idea would be to tack weld a nut onto the bolt head.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

...and it is probably a PITA but I would drop the rear wheel and remove the rear exhaust pipe to give you some working room.

Quick Reply: Springer rear caliper pin bolt stuck