General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting a Harley for Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:44 AM
Chris Tankard
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renting a Harley for Sturgis

Gidday.

A group of friends are looking at heading to Sturgis from New Zealand. A bike trip of a lifetime for us (not that the roads here are too shabby)

We would be flying into LA and looking to hire Harleys for 2+ weeks with the view of leaving them in Sturgis.

We looked at EagleRider, but it looks like you have to pay 100% upfront, and there is ZERO money back should you need to cancel (even if it is a month before coming over there).

Do people have recommendations on good reliable places that hire Harleys in LA ?

Looking for 3 Road Glide Ultras.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

So you want to ride to Sturgis from California? It might be cheaper to just rent bikes right in Sturgis, but I can understand if you want to do a trip there as well. Though, 2 weeks seems maybe a little too short to ride to Sturgis and then hang out there as well.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
So you want to ride to Sturgis from California? It might be cheaper to just rent bikes right in Sturgis, but I can understand if you want to do a trip there as well. Though, 2 weeks seems maybe a little too short to ride to Sturgis and then hang out there as well.
Good luck finding a bike in Sturgis! They were probably all reserved 6 months ago.

And, 2 weeks is MORE that enough time! Los Angeles to Sturgis is almost exactly the same distance as I am to Sturgis. I do it in 10 days. Leave Friday, and arrive Sunday afternoon. Party and ride Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. By Friday, I'm more than ready to leave! LOL!

Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Good luck finding a bike in Sturgis! They were probably all reserved 6 months ago.

And, 2 weeks is MORE that enough time! Los Angeles to Sturgis is almost exactly the same distance as I am to Sturgis. I do it in 10 days. Leave Friday, and arrive Sunday afternoon. Party and ride Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. By Friday, I'm more than ready to leave! LOL!
Yep ... I agree that two weeks would/should be enough to "Get 'er done" ... See what needs to be seen ... Do what needs to be done .... and .... Party 'til Ya Puke. I'm 1300 miles from Sturgis and with "Red" on board and the Bushtec on the back I generally leave Friday Morning and get there around noon time on Sunday. Two days going back home ( in HIGH GEAR, of course )

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

I haven't got the slightest clue about places to rent the bikes, so I can't help you there.

One thought on the trip itself related to the number of days you have: There are countless interesting places to stop/things to do/etc between LA and Sturgis. Do be sure to allow enough time to take your time getting there.

If you're not interested in any of that and just want to get to Sturgis as fast as you can to maximize your time at the rally, you might consider flying into Denver instead of Los Angeles.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

For an extra fee, you can buy insurance that will refund some or all (cant remember) of your money if trip is cancelled.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:09 PM
kiwiharleydavidson
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

mate ring me on 0274157653

Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Any of the bigger H-D dealerships in the LA area should have rentals available. You may not be able to get three of the same models, though, not to mention three RGUs.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Chris Tankard
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwiharleydavidson
mate ring me on ----------
Thanks. Will do tonight.

Last edited by Chris Tankard; 03-21-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwiharleydavidson
mate ring me on ...........
Just as a suggestion, I'd delete that number as soon as you see this. Posting phone numbers on the internet is high risk. Better to do it in a PM.

For Chris, now that you've got it I'd delete it from your post as well.

Quick Reply: Renting a Harley for Sturgis