General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with new grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:50 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Problem with new grips

Bought some new Arlen Ness soft grips for my SGS. I have black powder coated apes on the bike and the new throttle side grip won't spin enough on the bar to return properly. Should I just sand down the powder coat? I have a pair of Harley grips on it now (not stock) and those have been fine. Would I be creating any issues with the TBW mechanism by sanding the bars? I don't think I will but thought I would ask if others have dealt with this before I jump into it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

I wouldn't think it'd interfere, Id do it...

Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Try spinning the tube around the bar without attaching the throttle cables. If it feels like it SHOULD be smooth, then it probably just needs adjustment. Sometimes the housing doesn't sit quite right and it prevents the throttle tube from rotating true. Remember to turn your bars full left and right when adjusting to make sure it snaps back from all bar positions. Just play with the adjusters.

Also sometimes with a new tube or new bars you just have to crank it a bunch of times so it settles in and often the problem will go away.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemucha1
Bought some new Arlen Ness soft grips for my SGS.
Originally Posted by Dane M
Try spinning the tube around the bar without attaching the throttle cables.
No throttle cables on his bike.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:08 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
Try spinning the tube around the bar without attaching the throttle cables. If it feels like it SHOULD be smooth, then it probably just needs adjustment. Sometimes the housing doesn't sit quite right and it prevents the throttle tube from rotating true. Remember to turn your bars full left and right when adjusting to make sure it snaps back from all bar positions. Just play with the adjusters.

Also sometimes with a new tube or new bars you just have to crank it a bunch of times so it settles in and often the problem will go away.
He's got TBW, no cables.

OP - How easily does the grip slide on/off the handle bar? How easily does the grip turn when slid on all the way without the control covers tightened down? If the grip is binding up on the handle bar there should be some scuffing on the powder coat that should show you where the problem is. Attacking the powder coat with some sand paper won't hurt the throttle sensor as long as you don't let stuff build up in the rotating part of the sensor.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:20 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

OK serious question did you put the grips on the right side of the bike ? Normally one of the two grips will have a slightly larger diameter opening than the other grip

Old 04-01-2016, 10:27 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer

Originally Posted by mdm
He's got TBW, no cables.

OP - How easily does the grip slide on/off the handle bar? How easily does the grip turn when slid on all the way without the control covers tightened down? If the grip is binding up on the handle bar there should be some scuffing on the powder coat that should show you where the problem is. Attacking the powder coat with some sand paper won't hurt the throttle sensor as long as you don't let stuff build up in the rotating part of the sensor.
It slides on and off pretty easily. I will check for scuffing and sand it down.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:29 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
OK serious question did you put the grips on the right side of the bike ? Normally one of the two grips will have a slightly larger diameter opening than the other grip

Yes, they are on the right side. I've done grips three or four times and never had an issue. I like the grips I have now, but they are wearing down from use. Liked the look of these new ones so I bought them.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:59 PM
67 C10
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it slides on and off pretty easy then the powder coating is probable a non issue. Usually it is the spacing of the switch housing. Try loosening the screws on the housing and sliding it over a hair.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:07 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Had the same problem. Had to take a round file and spend a good 3 hrs filing the inside of the grips down untill they fit properly

Quick Reply: Problem with new grips