General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running really rich question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Running really rich question???

Posted a few days ago about powdery carbon build up in my exhaust pipes on my 06 Fatboy EFI... Thank You to all who replied and yes they were right, my bike is running rich...To remedy this, does it have to go on a dyno to be tuned? Thank You in advance who replies with any help and advice...

Old 04-02-2016, 08:16 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

No , it doesn't , any competent tuner can fix your bike .
All a dyno does is put unnecessary wear on the engine.

Now if you are testing tunes, pipes ,cams and other such things , then you might want to subject your engine to such abuse.
But if you just want it to run sweet and last a long time I would skip the dyno.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:25 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't think he money spent the money for all his performance work was so it could run like a stock bike. It appears that at some point in the mapping, your running richer then necessary. A review of the map should show where that is, and can be corrected. Carbon buildup on the pistons and the plugs are proof that your running too rich. Fuel dilution of your oil is another side effect of it. If your oil has a strong gas smell to it, you should have it corrected.,,,

Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

no-one said run it like a stock bike, He asked if it had to go on a dyno to correct his
problem.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:06 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

It doesn't have to go on the dyno. The dyno's just used by tuners so they know where in the RPMs to adjust the mixture and by how much, to achieve the results they/you want. If I remember right, in the other thread you said you had a FP3. I know for a Power Vision/Power Commander, you can download maps from Dynojet to approximately match your setup. I imagine Vance and Hines has a similar service. I'd try that and see how the bike runs.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
It doesn't have to go on the dyno. The dyno's just used by tuners so they know where in the RPMs to adjust the mixture and by how much, to achieve the results they/you want. If I remember right, in the other thread you said you had a FP3. I know for a Power Vision/Power Commander, you can download maps from Dynojet to approximately match your setup. I imagine Vance and Hines has a similar service. I'd try that and see how the bike runs.
The op stated he thinks he's having a rich condition, and asked if he should put it on a dyno. Then you state it doesn't have to, but the next sentence says the dyno is used to adjust the mixture and by how much. So what is it? You will just be guessing and probably be wasting the money that was spent for the dyno tune by messing around with the fuel tables, without a way to tell if you making it worse. That's what the Dyno is for. It takes the guess work out of setting the motor up. A canned map is only to get you running until you hit the dyno,. Don't bank on that to give you optimal performance.,,,

Old 04-02-2016, 03:27 PM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

I think that if you get a map from VH that closely matches the components you have installed you should get the bike running pretty damn good. If the fuel mixture is so rich that its showing on your plugs then Id say something is wrong. Do you know the history of the bike? Are you sure you have the correct map loaded? How does the bike feel when you ride it? If your showing a rich condition on your spark plugs then id venture a guess and say that your bike is running like dog ****.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:42 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,449 Likes on 4,133 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
Posted a few days ago about powdery carbon build up in my exhaust pipes on my 06 Fatboy EFI... Thank You to all who replied and yes they were right, my bike is running rich...To remedy this, does it have to go on a dyno to be tuned? Thank You in advance who replies with any help and advice...

Since I run only carbed bikes I can't add much other than that is one good looking scooter!!!

Old 04-03-2016, 03:21 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
The op stated he thinks he's having a rich condition, and asked if he should put it on a dyno. Then you state it doesn't have to, but the next sentence says the dyno is used to adjust the mixture and by how much. So what is it? You will just be guessing and probably be wasting the money that was spent for the dyno tune by messing around with the fuel tables, without a way to tell if you making it worse. That's what the Dyno is for. It takes the guess work out of setting the motor up. A canned map is only to get you running until you hit the dyno,. Don't bank on that to give you optimal performance.,,,
That is exactly what I said, only I said it in two sentences. I'll do it again. The dyno is preferable, but not required. The dyno tells you exactly what effect your tune has on the bike, but you don't always need to be that precise. The OP didn't say he's looking for optimal performance, he just said his bike's running rich. A canned map is just fine if you can find one for a setup similar to your bike's, if you're not hitting the track. I suggested the OP try that, because it'll be a lot easier on the wallet and the bike than a dyno run. If that doesn't do it, the dyno's still an option.

EDIT: And you can still gauge how well the bike's running by simply riding it, and by reading the plugs. The problem with reading the plugs is that if they indicate a lean or a rich condition, you don't know where in the RPM range it's at. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a dyno run. People have been doing that with carbs, jet kits, and empty roads for years.

Last edited by JustOneDean; 04-03-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

EDIT: And you can still gauge how well the bike's running by simply riding it, and by reading the plugs. The problem with reading the plugs is that if they indicate a lean or a rich condition, you don't know where in the RPM range it's at. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a dyno run. People have been doing that with carbs, jet kits, and empty roads for years.
Well for one thing the op has alotof $$$ invested in his motor to except it "runs OK". He didn't ask what was the cheapest way to check out his issue. And your right people have been reading plugs and changing jets hoping to hit the correct combination for years. Then the DYNO came along and made all the difference in the world. You can't rejet fuel your injection system if it's running lean or rich at low speeds. After making an investment like what he has, I wouldn't except it runs ok ,or I'll just live with it. Knowing what you have is worlds better then guessing about what you have.,,,

Quick Reply: Running really rich question???