General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike shipping - General and specific questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,211 Posts
Default Bike shipping - General and specific questions

Hey gang, I am fairly certain I will be needing to ship 2 bikes from NJ to Fort Worth Texas. I never shipped before. I went out to Uship for 'bids' and honestly, some of the contacts seemed really slimey.

* Who have you used in the past?
* Anything I need to know or be mindful of?
* Is any specialty insurance needed for the trip?
* Suggestions?
* Any idea of cost? I received estimates of 300 thru 1100 per bike

Ill be shipping a 15rk and an 09 Dyna

Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to the Harley website for shipping information:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...-shipping.html

Then

Click the link for the Federal Motorcycle Transport and get a quote:
http://pages.federalcos.com/harley-davidson/index.html

HOG members get discounts.

Full Disclosure: I've never shipped a bike.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Key Board Transport, Elizabethtown, KY is an good company

Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Additional recommendation for Keyboard Shipping
I use them almost every year, for probably 5 years now. Great service, nice people.

Go to their website. They have a shipping request form and a map with cost estimates. Always spot on. Or if you call them, talk to Kelli Cecil.

Their fee includes insurance (I think up to $20K per bike). They will meet you anywhere, including your house. They put the bike on a pallet, strap it (w/ TLC) and load it while you're there.

Have always been on time. They call a couple days in advance and schedule pick up, and delivery.

I shipped from Florida to Colorado @ $650 each way. So, I would think NJ to TX, should be $ 650, x 2 bikes, $ 1300.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Have them load the bikes up and you open your wallet up.Having shipped numerous bikes,I think $650 per bike is about right unless you can get a small discount for two bikes.Stay with the major carriers.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:22 PM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold and shipped a bike last summer. I used Haulbikes.com and they were great!!! They are usually running a special for shipping to different areas. Give them a call. They also give discounts to military and LEOs.

http://haulbikes.com/

Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

https://motorcycleshippers.com
Used them a few years back to ship a bike from Miami to northern Alberta (across the continent) cost $1100. I highly recommend them, very professional

Old 04-08-2016, 12:12 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I've used Haul Bikes once and Federal Transport three times. Both good, but you want to ask how long you will be without the bike. My experience with Haulbikes was being without the bike for 4 weeks. The three times with federal, I was without the bike for a little over a week. On all occasions, the bike went from coast to coast. Had mine picked up two days ago. Contact person at Federal is Barb 800-747-4100 x 2219.
Also, Federal allows a fully packed bike(see mine pictured). They don't require crating. Just need to have low fuel amount in the tank. And no, I don't work for or have any affiliation with federal.

Last edited by DaveNBPT; 04-08-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

+1 on Federal, used them to ship my bike from NY to Seattle and then San Fran back to NY. Both times I was without my bike for one week. And yes if the bags are lockable you can pack gear in the bike. I sent it out west with the cover, rain gear, 3/4 helmet, leathers etc. All the bulky stuff you wouldn't want with you on the plane. About $700 each way. It could have been cheaper if I had been willing to go to their warehouse to drop it off, but it was in Jersey which is not convenient for me at all. I think I paid an extra $50 to have it picked up and dropped off in my driveway.

I will be using them again this year, riding out to Sturgis but then shipping bike home. Good experience, no damage or hassle except someone leaving my ignition on. But they had a car size battery charger and I was on my way fairly quickly. Price included insurance, no need to crate or drain fluids, just have the gas tank near reserve and you are good.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

A friend used Haul Bikes with good luck (haulbikes.com).

When shopping for a shipper, ask for proof of insurance and make sure you understand what’s covered and how the claims-filing process works. Also, ask the shipper if he will handle the entire shipment or subcontract a portion to another company.

Quick Reply: Bike shipping - General and specific questions