General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air cooled vs water

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:44 PM
dragonfiregirl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air cooled vs water

iread that if you live in a warm enviroment like say the southern united states a water cooled engine is better than air cooled. air cooled can run to hot. is that true? someone posted that on powersports.net

Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Default RE: air cooled vs water

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 05-16-2007, 02:02 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Better? That's kind of subjective on what you consider better. Yea, they're gonna run hotter, but unless you're sitting in stop and go traffic or pulling parade duty, I wouldn't stress about it.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Tucson and the only place I know around here that's hotter is Phoenix. I don't even have an oil cooler on my bike as a friend of mine who was the sales manager at the local dealership was the one that told me they were a waste of money. I've never had a problem with the air cooled Harley. Sure, if I put myself where I would be in a grid lock for an extended period of time it could become a problem but I'll take an escape route or just shut the engine off. Yes a water cooled would run at a more consistant temperature but that doesn't mean that air cooled is necessarily a no-no.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Water cooled is always better than air cooled,that's just fact.But luckily for all us cranky old sh*ts, who love our air cooled bikes, Harley realizes who their customers are and what they want.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

Water cooled is always better than air cooled,that's just fact.But luckily for all us cranky old sh*ts, who love our air cooled bikes, Harley realizes who their customers are and what they want.
I'm not sure I quite agree or even understand why liquid cooled would always be better than air cooled. Air cooling works very well in all kinds of environments. It's much less complicated component wise.

Gets plenty hot 'round these parts... The only place hotter than Phoenix would probably be Death Valley. We gots LOTS of two-wheelers in the Valley of the Sun.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

It only makes sense that a water-cooled engine in a hot environment is better for the bike if you're gonna be idling in traffic, long intersections, parades, and so on. But there have been Harleys running around in the 'hot' southern and western states for ages, so they can survive the conditions.But with the newer EPA standards, all bets are off for the future of air-cooled V-twins.

Now, "better" for the comfort of the rider? Hell yeah, when it's hot, water-cooled is the way to go. When the air just above the surface of the road is 130, then you've got the heat radiating up at you from the engine, Oooh baby, stopping for more than a few minutes sucks.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
ceduby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of keeping it simple. water cooled = more maintenance and more things to go wrong. 100 plus years of air cooled motors. Proof enough??

Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

Water cooled- more parts, more problems (hoses, radiators, fluids, thermostats). May run more consistant temps & cooler but given the added maint for something that is not really needed it'snotbetter in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Steeltown
Tourer

Do you want a Harley? or not...the showerhead(VRod) is the only Harley with that option. Other wise if you plan on keeping this bike for the long Haul, slap an oil cooler on it, and change the oil, at recommended intervals, or earlier depending on your riding conditions....you'll be fine

Quick Reply: air cooled vs water