General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you plug a tire or just put a tube in it

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 AM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Can you plug a tire or just put a tube in it

My wife has a new 2015 fatboy with only 1900 kms on it,the rear tire was fine all winter long so we know it's not from last fall.We just recently bought it out cleaned her up and she took it for a little ride around town,still a bit cool here,anyways I have to move her bike to get at the bbq the other night and I had a very hard time moving it,I look down and yup,she's flat.We found a screw dead centre so it's not in the grooves at all,can we plug it or just put a tube in it,she doen't want to buy a new tire,it's only got 1900 kms like I said,suggestions?

Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

If it's a tubeless rim you can plug it. Other wise, you will have to replace or repair the tube.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:26 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It is,thanks.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:50 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Just beware of "plugging" a motorcycle tire!

Ask your dealer what they recommend and/or how they will "fix" your wife's tire, but personally, I'd have a new tire installed.

I know buying a new tire, especially when you have as little mileage as you do on your current tire is frustrating, but "it's only money", and her safety is much more important than the price of a new tire.

I bought a used bike in late October, '88 ('87 FXSTC) and the previous owner never bothered to tell me that the rear tire had been "plugged".

Due to Michigan weather, I only got to ride the bike once so it sat in the garage until March.

We got a bright sunny Saturday and I was anxious to take the wife for a short ride.

I checked the oil and the air in both tires, and after taking my first pics of the bike we hopped on it and away we went....for a very short ride!

Thankfully, we were still in our sub-division and going 30-35 MPH when I shifted into 3rd gear I heard a slight noise.
It sounded like I had ran over piece of light metal, but that "plug" had popped out of my rear tire and down we went!

Again, thankfully we were not seriously injured (only bruises) but it could have been much worse if I had made it to the main street and had been going much faster and in much heavier traffic.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:07 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

If a plug pops out, it was not installed correctly in the first place.

I have ridden thousands of miles on a plugged tire with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
maydaymike (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd patch the tire from the inside only. I just don't like plugs. If it's a tube and you don't feel safe with it, get a new one. Like a guy once told me...that tire is what's keeping your *** off of the road.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Plug it keep rolling.

I've ridden thousand and thousands of miles on plugged tires.

As for asking the dealer:
Dealerships don't fix anything. They replace parts. More profit in replacing tires than plugging or patching them.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:40 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Plug it keep rolling.

I've ridden thousand and thousands of miles on plugged tires.

As for asking the dealer:
Dealerships don't fix anything. They replace parts. More profit in replacing tires than plugging or patching them.
They're not thinking about profit, they're thinking about liability. If they plug a tire and that bike crashes 4,000 miles later, the rider will come back and say it's because they didn't plug it right.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,149 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I picked up a screw in my tire last spring from being in the field of a fair ground for a bike meet. Rode home about 30 or 40 miles on a tire that...well, so much lost air you could push the bead in from the rim and stick your finger in there.

Luckily had semi ride flat tires (most tires for cruiser model bikes are)...so I just rode slow and I made it home. yeah a little wobbly around turns...LOL...keeps you paying attention!

Went to an Indy shop...had him put a tube in it. Ran fine for rest of the summer and fall with lots of more trips.

Quick Reply: Can you plug a tire or just put a tube in it