General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 PM
CBCanada
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy troubles

Hello all

I have a new to me 1996 fatboy. First day I took her on the highway, cruised at 65 mph for 2 hours no problem. Today i picked her up from the mechanic where I got the safety certificate done (mechanic said seems to be running fine) I filled her up with some supe gasoline.
Took her out on the highway, opened up a bit more took her up to 70-80. No problem. 30 min into the ride power started cutting out. I will decline the symptoms the best I can
1) I give throttle bike bogs down does not accelerate and then accelerates all of a sudden
2) I give throttle it goes pop pop pop almost like back firing real fast back to back to back.. Does not accelerate then accelerates

So this happened 3-4 times and I had to pull over let bike idle and then ride again and made it home, the last mile or two it rode back fine.

So from my limited experience, did I clogg up the jets in the carb by opening her up?
Or the bike does not work well with high octane gas?

Any feedback is appreciated
Thanks

Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,798 Likes on 6,216 Posts

You need new plugs.
...and a new mechanic.

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:52 PM
gonpce
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check the battery cables. I had one vibrate a little loose and did the same thing, tightened and good as new.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plugs/Dirty carb/wrong jets/loose connection to battery/Check the tank may have sediment in the tank thats clooging the fuel line, put a inline filter when you fan on the fuel line

Old 05-13-2016, 03:53 PM
CBCanada
Cruiser

UPDATE:

I noticed the gas cap was open, I tightened it took it for a 46 minute ride, too her up 75 no problems, ride for 45 min. I got a big smile in my face thinking it was the open gas cap and all it good... I am pulling into my street, I lean into a nice tight turn. It happens again. This time I noticed the digital speedo mileage shuts off when it happens. So is it safe to assume electrical?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:05 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Start with the easiest and cheapest things.

Check the battery cables and also the negative cable end at the frame.
If you have a battery charger (no a tender) hook it up to your bike for a couple of hours and then take the bike for a test ride.

If your battery cables are tight, I'm suspecting a weak battery.

BTW, how old is your battery and do you keep it plugged into a tender when not in use?

If your battery and cables are not the problem, I'm going out on a limb here and thinking you may have a fuel/carb problem.

If you have your mechanic pulls the carb you may as well have him install new intake seals at the same time as it's not too much additional work and less than $10 in parts and it's time for them to be replaced.

I had a similar problem with my '98 EVO (carb) a few years back.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CBCanada
UPDATE:

I noticed the gas cap was open, I tightened it took it for a 46 minute ride, too her up 75 no problems, ride for 45 min. I got a big smile in my face thinking it was the open gas cap and all it good... I am pulling into my street, I lean into a nice tight turn. It happens again. This time I noticed the digital speedo mileage shuts off when it happens. So is it safe to assume electrical?
Yes and no. Did the previous owner put a "tip over" kill switch?

Check all your battery connections, check your coil and spark pluch connections

Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM
CBCanada
Cruiser

I just checked all barter my cables are tight. U bought this bike 2 days ago no idea how old the battery is. I put a multin meter on it and it reads 12v so not sure if it can still be bad ? I suppose it could be bad and not sending Amps regardless to volts.. Is there any other electrical things I can check? Bam kind of leaning toward electrical here because the digital mileage shuts off when this problem occurs.. Should I assume battery and buy new?
Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Start with the easiest and cheapest things.

Check the battery cables and also the negative cable end at the frame.
If you have a battery charger (no a tender) hook it up to your bike for a couple of hours and then take the bike for a test ride.

If your battery cables are tight, I'm suspecting a weak battery.

BTW, how old is your battery and do you keep it plugged into a tender when not in use?

If your battery and cables are not the problem, I'm going out on a limb here and thinking you may have a fuel/carb problem.

If you have your mechanic pulls the carb you may as well have him install new intake seals at the same time as it's not too much additional work and less than $10 in parts and it's time for them to be replaced.

I had a similar problem with my '98 EVO (carb) a few years back.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 PM
CBCanada
Cruiser

Also the fact that it happens intermittently (once in a 45 min ride) makes me think electrical. If it was mechanical it would occur more often. Am I correct in my line of thinking here?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by CBCanada
Also the fact that it happens intermittently (once in a 45 min ride) makes me think electrical. If it was mechanical it would occur more often. Am I correct in my line of thinking here?
It does sound like an electrical issue but you need to get it to a good mechanic before it leaves you stranded.

Quick Reply: Fatboy troubles