General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I sure miss my 1998 Dyna FXD Convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:14 AM
WilllyD
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I sure miss my 1998 Dyna FXD Convertible.

I I sure miss my 1998 Dyna FXD Convertible.-100_1674.jpg

I sure miss my '98 Dyna Convertible. I thought I should sell it because I live in an apartment building with no underground parking. I sold it a couple of years ago. She only had about 6,400 miles on her. I think I want to get another Harley, preferably in the Dyna line, which are my favorite. The thing is I'm not sure if I should buy a modern Dyna, say about 6-7 years old or buy another older one something like the one I had with the 1340 Evolution motor?

Thank you for your comments and answers.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Everyone on here is going to tell you to go test ride before you buy! With that said have fun and good luck

Old 05-29-2016, 01:41 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

I know the feeling, I still miss my '93 Dyna Lowrider that I sold after I bought my UltraClassic in 2003.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

I had a 94 Dyna convertible, it was a nice bike but, i liked (like) the FXRS CONV better. I have a Road Glide with a twinkie engine and love it, it's an awesome bike, 123,000 miles and still running strong. BUT, I have the most pure fun on a 1986 FXRC Low Glide Custom. If you like the Evo, don't discount the FXR chassis bikes, they're a hoot to ride.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I miss my old Honda SL100. It was blue.
I still have a blue bike... Strange isn't it?

Old 05-29-2016, 03:44 PM
WilllyD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hasher
I had a 94 Dyna convertible, it was a nice bike but, i liked (like) the FXRS CONV better. I have a Road Glide with a twinkie engine and love it, it's an awesome bike, 123,000 miles and still running strong. BUT, I have the most pure fun on a 1986 FXRC Low Glide Custom. If you like the Evo, don't discount the FXR chassis bikes, they're a hoot to ride.
I really got my eye on a mint 1995 Dyna Low Rider with about 20,000 miles on her and all stock except Screaming Eagle slip ons. Would that handle better than my Dyna Convertible? Thank you.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I love evo's... everyone here knows this, but honestly? I would just go ahead and buy a twin cam dyna. If you want another evo I'd look for an FXR instead. Better frame with the better engine.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM
WilllyD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I love evo's... everyone here knows this, but honestly? I would just go ahead and buy a twin cam dyna. If you want another evo I'd look for an FXR instead. Better frame with the better engine.
Thanks for your reply. Even though I had the '98 Dyna Convertible, I only really had it for a year and a half, and honestly, I don't know a whole lot about the Harley bikes. Aren't the Superglides FXR? They're my favorite anyway. I have enough $ saved to buy a 6-7 year old Superglide. Is it as obvious as it seems? Always buy the newer Harley?

Thank you for your help.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The FXR is a frame... and yes, the FXR's were the "superglides" in the 80's and early 90's, and they were low riders, and a bunch of other crap to. The dyna is just a frame, and it's the frame that replaced the FXR frame. It's not as robust, and doesn't handle as well. Today a superglide would be a Dyna.

No, don't always buy the newer Harley. I'll take an FXR over a stupid Twin Cam Dyna any day. I ride an evo dyna just like the one you got rid of (FXDS dnya-conv), but if you're going to buy a dyna, you might as well buy a newer twin cam dyna just to have a newer bike, especially since you don't know much about Harleys anyways. For you, it's probably more about what it says on the tank vs the engine in the frame. For guys like me, we don't care if it says HD on the tank. We ride the bkes we ride because of what is sitting inside the frame.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:28 AM
WilllyD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
The FXR is a frame... and yes, the FXR's were the "superglides" in the 80's and early 90's, and they were low riders, and a bunch of other crap to. The dyna is just a frame, and it's the frame that replaced the FXR frame. It's not as robust, and doesn't handle as well. Today a superglide would be a Dyna.

No, don't always buy the newer Harley. I'll take an FXR over a stupid Twin Cam Dyna any day. I ride an evo dyna just like the one you got rid of (FXDS dnya-conv), but if you're going to buy a dyna, you might as well buy a newer twin cam dyna just to have a newer bike, especially since you don't know much about Harleys anyways. For you, it's probably more about what it says on the tank vs the engine in the frame. For guys like me, we don't care if it says HD on the tank. We ride the bkes we ride because of what is sitting inside the frame.
Thanks for taking the time to explain about the FXR frame. How do you like your FXDS? I suppose you saw the photo of mine. I regret selling it. I know I've mentioned one or two Harleys I've been looking at, but there is this 2000 Dyna Wide Glide for sale with 28,000 kilometers on it I've really liked. It's super clean asking $7,800 Canadian, but it has V & H long shots that I don't really like. That's the only thing I don't like about it. It doesn't have a windshield or saddle bags, but that's not a problem to me right now. I just thought I'd ask you what you thought of that Wide Glide? Thank you.

Quick Reply: I sure miss my 1998 Dyna FXD Convertible.