General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biltwell Gringo S Review ***UPDATE***

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Biltwell Gringo S Review ***UPDATE***

Well I thought I'd get back on here and provide an update to my original review https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-s-review.html

As much as I wanted to like this helmet and as comfortable as it was when I tried it on in the shop where I bought it ... I just can't wear this thing for more than an hour.

I must have a weird shaped noggin. After about an hour of wearing it I get this pain in the center of my forehead that very quickly becomes all consuming. When I take the helmet off I have this huge red spot dead center in my forehead. The first time I experienced this I thought I'd try and ride through it and by the time I got home I was actually so distracted by the pain that I had to pull over. Finally made it home and for the rest of the night, the center of my forehead was actually numb. I have never in my life of riding and helmet wearing experienced this. I must have gotten lucky with all the other helmets I've worn.

I've got a call into this shop where I bought it to see if there's anything they can do for me ... exchange, return whatever. Otherwise I'm gonna have to sell it and cut my losses. Maybe the shop will let me exchange for a XXL. I really want to like this helmet but no way can I ride with it for any length of time ... which was the exact reason that I bought it.

Anyway .... That's my experience. YMMV.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you tried compressing the foam in that area?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If the helmet is not the same shape as your head, it will not be very effective if you go up a size. The best thing you can do is try on as many different models from different brands until you find one that fits properly.

The above only applies if you are more worried about safety than looks, otherwise disregard completely.

The following users liked this post:
crabio (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like you are also one of those guys that doesn't have a round head. I went with the LS2 Strobe modular.

crabio (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Try a Shark S650 or a Bell Zephyr. They are both narrow in shape.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

crabio (06-07-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Just thought I'd let you know that the shop I bought the Gringo S from have agreed to let me return the XL and exchange it for a XXL. These guys are awesome to work with.

Shout out to Rottweiler Bikes in Bremerton, WA. Great guys out there.

On a different note. Other than looks, is there any benefit at all between a flat shield and a bubble shield?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I've tried a few biltwell helmets, they just don't fit my noggen.

crabio (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 08:32 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Some have round heads, some have oval heads.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Of course, fit matters most. Just chiming in that I recently did a trip about 600 miles in 2 days, Gringo the whole time. Even though I preffer my half, it was comfortable the whole time, for me. Makes me think I should wear it all the time . . .

Old 06-16-2016, 06:51 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Sounds like I've got the same shape melon that you do. I've got a full face that I bought to wear on longer (several days) trips. First trip I went on my forehead was killing me after about four hours. I guess my head is harder than yours or it wasn't putting as much pressure in that spot. That helmet is now collecting dust in one of my closets. I bought a 3/4 and it fits like it should. Going up a size in the same helmet is the wrong thing to do. It needs to fit ALL the way around your head properly to be effective. Hope you find one that works for you.

Quick Reply: Biltwell Gringo S Review ***UPDATE***