General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Touring Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:28 PM
LKHD15
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Touring Suspension

I have a 2015 Ultra Limited. I changed the stock air shocks out for the Ultra-Low Heavy Duty shocks from Progressive as I needed to lower the bike so my feet could be more firmly planted on the ground. I choose the Heavy Duty springs because my wife often rides with me and I didn't want to bottom out. However, after putting on about 3,000 miles with these shocks I realize they are to harsh of a ride and I need something different. I'm hoping for a little guidance, as I would like to keep the lowered fit of my bike now but need to fit a better ride at the same time. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Ohlins 3-3s from Howard at Motorcycle Metal are 13", but will sit at just over 12".

I have them on my '15 Limited Low & the bike feels like stock height.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine are the 2-2B's from him. Due to the massive wildfire we had up here that caused the evacuation of our city I never got to try them until a couple of days ago. I really didn't expect that much of an improvement over the stock 12" air shocks. It has transformed the bike's ride like night and day. I can't say enough good about the Ohlins. The ones I have are about 13" long with 3 5/16" travel I think. With the preload set the way I like it the bike is less than 1/2" higher measured at the bottom of the rear fender to the ground. It was 10" and now it is about 10 3/8". No more jarring ride and bottoming out.

Last edited by Super08; 06-20-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Before you buy another pair of shocks, change your springs to a standard spring and ride with them for a while to compare the difference.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:45 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Before you buy another pair of shocks, change your springs to a standard spring and ride with them for a while to compare the difference.
When I had Progressive 944s on my bike I had them change the springs to heavy duty, they did it at no charge, even for return shipping.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LKHD15
I have a 2015 Ultra Limited. I changed the stock air shocks out for the Ultra-Low Heavy Duty shocks from Progressive as I needed to lower the bike so my feet could be more firmly planted on the ground. I choose the Heavy Duty springs because my wife often rides with me and I didn't want to bottom out. However, after putting on about 3,000 miles with these shocks I realize they are to harsh of a ride and I need something different. I'm hoping for a little guidance, as I would like to keep the lowered fit of my bike now but need to fit a better ride at the same time. Thanks for the help.
Yup stiff as hell they? I made the same mistake and tried the HD progressives. I even sent them to factory to have them respringed with SD springs. No better at all. Finally decided as other have suggested to go with Ohlins. You will not be disappointed. I went with the 2-2's, but did not need to be lowered. Talk to Howard at Motorcycle metal, he will get you dialed in. Get the Ohlins and then sell your progressives on ebay and recoup some money. I actually got most of my money back from mine which helped ease the pain of having to buy a 2nd pair of shocks.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 AM
rodneynielsen
3rd Gear

I do not know what is best but I do know who is the worst. I just had a terrible experience with Progressive 944 Ultra Low shocks.
The Shocks failed after 3 months and Progressive WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY. (I'm 164 Lbs & 5'7")
After 3 months the shocks quit working. Really! They lost suspension travel whatsoever. The HD Dealer documented the failure. Notified Progressive. Chad, the Warrenty manager, said my "shocks work correct." They have less then 1/2 sag. HD dealer sent videos, emails & multiple phone calls. I personally spoke with Jorge & then Chad. Chad said if I wanted, I could take the shocks off (meaning I can’t ride), send them to him & he will verify thy are working correct. That means, I have to buy a new pair of shocks anyways. They will not authorize the HD dealer to install replacements because he is sure my shocks work.
I will NEVER do business with this company. EVER

Reading there product description, you would expect the shocks to be better then stock. WRONG! When they are talking about the travel they are including the bike weight sag. They bike pulls the shocks down 1 7/8”. That means they feel you should have less then 1/2” of shock of travel before you sit on the bike. The HD dealer put a 275 lbs man and 160 lbs man on the bike and it went down less then 1/2 inch… Progressive says, this is what they are designed for… many people say this is a good company. I must be special

Old 07-10-2016, 01:35 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

You might get better answers from the Touring or Suspension forums.
Try posting your question there.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM
rodneynielsen
3rd Gear

OK. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 PM
cherry686
Novice

I had good luck with Fox Shocks

Quick Reply: Best Touring Suspension