General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Ping

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:54 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Engine Ping

Its Africa hot here in the Land of Entrapment. Hard to ride any time past noon. Temps in the high 90s, sometimes over 100.

My bike is pinging.

How much is pinging determined by octane? Best I can get here is 91 with the corn syrup added.
How much is pinging determined by elevation? I am at 5200 ft and regularly ride to up above 7000 ft.
How much is pinging determined by the ambient air temperature?

I know all about lugging the engine and that this can contribute to pinging.

Stock Harley motors are choked by the EPA and I know this causes them to run lean about of the box.

Will anyone here on the forum report that their stock engine has NEVER pinged? I have a buddy who has a 2015 Streetglide with the 103 engine with the oil cooler and it is stock with about 8k miles. He claims his bike has never pinged. I find that really hard to believe. He does have 93 octane gas and his elevation is less than 500 ft above sea level. He does have to deal with the heat of the Midwest and the humidity. I just don't believe his engine has never pinged.

I did a Stage 1 last year on my 96 motor with new ECM, intake, and exhaust. Didn't experience any pinging while riding last year after the upgrade but now I am having it happen pretty regularly. I am wondering why. I am getting some deceleration popping from the exhaust too.
I am wondering if the performance exhaust (2 into 1) is finally burning in and this is what is causing the decel pop. Cant see why I would need to have it dyno-ed again as nothing has changed in the setup. But things do seem to be running differently this summer.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

"I did a Stage 1 last year on my 96 motor with new ECM, intake, and exhaust."

You replaced your bike's ECM?

Last edited by RK4ME; 06-23-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:25 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL, no did not replace it, reprogrammed with Harleys tuner.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:53 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

If nothing has changed since previous modifications that did not result in pinging, I would suspect carbon buildup causing the fuel/air mixture to ignite prematurely. This is highly likely if your crankcase breather is venting into the intake.

You could have it checked with a borescope, or just try running some Techron through it and see if it clears up.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:16 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Will anyone here on the forum report that their stock engine has NEVER pinged? I have a buddy who has a 2015 Streetglide with the 103 engine with the oil cooler and it is stock with about 8k miles. He claims his bike has never pinged. I find that really hard to believe. He does have 93 octane gas and his elevation is less than 500 ft above sea level. He does have to deal with the heat of the Midwest and the humidity. I just don't believe his engine has never pinged.
I'm not sure when, but HD introduced the ion sensing into the ECM, which can detect preignition conditions and retard timing before you hear the ping. So it's very possible indeed.

If you've left the AFR tables as per the HD EPA tune, then the bike runs lean. If you combine that with poor fuel, higher altitude and higher temperatures, then that will increase the tendancy to ping as you've found. I'm not sure how far the ping detection can retard the timing, and it might not be enough. Or perhaps it wasn't available on your year, which seems more likely. The ping detection is also disabled if you use spark plugs without the same properties as the OEM ones or change the spark leads (eg. a coil relocation) so that can cause problems too.

Also, if you don't have the O2 sensors or have disabled them by running open-loop, then your tune could end up being substantially different from where it was intended. I would have guessed richer, but anything's possible, especially if you have poor fuel.

But a bike running the modern tech, with the O2 sensors running in closed loop and the ping detection still working, has to be pushed pretty far for it to ping consistently.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

During the warmer/hotter months keep the rpm's up a tad higher than you usually do.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I had a ping. Once the temp became warmer, it went to a pong.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:08 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I ride a stock 103 in Phoenix. You sometimes hit 100, we're regularly hitting 115-120. Never had any pinging.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The gas in New Mexico sucks. I had a ping the whole time we were on vacation there, my bike ran weak and I had to change the plugs in Carlsbad and still had a ping. When I got all the NM, gas burned out in Lubbock the power came back and the ping stopped.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 490 Posts

Everything to do with octane. My stock+stage 1 wet head hates anything but 93 octane when the temps get over 80F.

Quick Reply: Engine Ping