General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick a direction and GO!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Pick a direction and GO!

Alright here is a fun challenge for those who haven't done it. For your vacation pack your Harley with a plan to stay on the rode x number of days pick a direction and go.

No specific distance, no destination, just go.

For those that have post a short summary of what your trip was like to encourage others to do the same.

In 2013 I planned on a 10 day trip with the wife on our Dyna, We said East for our direction, I figured we would maybe make middle Tennessee or Kentucky and back, at most a 1000 miles. Boy was I wrong. We wound up at Robbinsville, NC, the Tail of the Dragon and back. We went to Graceland, and the Jack Daniels Distillery, neither of which were planned it was one of those ok let's go here on the fly trips.

2015 The wife didn't go to Atlanta on business with me, so we headed back to ATL, no plan after that, she said beach so we wound up in panama city beach warm emerald green water and white sugar sand beaches.

2016 We did a big trip but it was a planned trip a friend wanted to come along and we had a specific destination. Next year though northeast!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I'm gettin' a bit older now and some planning is necessary ... but ... my brother and I use to meet at my place, ride to the main road, flip a quarter ( heads one way, tails the other ) and away we'd go. Had some great rides.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Being centrally located, you can go in any direction. I can't really go West (unless Dyna's float!)
Altho I did go to the Big Island of Hawai'i in May/June and rode around the Island on a RG and the GF rode a Fatboy Low(which she really liked, btw!)

Old 09-07-2016, 10:34 AM
stoneybagger
Elite HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 315 Posts

this is what i do every time i ride locally. it is fun to get lost and find my way back. this is a good way to learn the town roads around my town. when i go on long trips, i do plan. i do not want to be stuck some where on a bike not knowing where i am. no shelter from the elements. do not like sleeping on ground either. i must be getting old?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:45 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,438 Likes on 4,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I'm gettin' a bit older now and some planning is necessary ... but ... my brother and I use to meet at my place, ride to the main road, flip a quarter ( heads one way, tails the other ) and away we'd go. Had some great rides.

I remember (almost) some of those. Started out as a Saturday morning ride with no gear. Ended up rolling into town about an hour before I had to be at work on Monday morning.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
sunderhill (09-07-2016), Uncle Larry (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Nope...I need a plan. Riding helter skelter, hither and dither isn't for me.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:30 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython

Tail of the Dragon
Graceland
Jack Daniels Distillery
Panama city beach

You're wife knew where you were going...

Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Just recently did a trip around Lake Superior by myself started in Toronto headed north got to Saulte Saint Maria in the first day and around the lake in three. Beautiful up there, 1900 miles 5 days. Camped in a tent Copper Harbour the rest of the time hotels, but great experience.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:15 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I'll point the bike and go but I have to decide first whether it's going to be an overnighter.

Last edited by RK4ME; 09-07-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by stoneybagger
this is what i do every time i ride locally. it is fun to get lost and find my way back. this is a good way to learn the town roads
That's the best way to ride, and discover!

A couple times a year, we hit the highway for about 90 minutes. South of Cleveland. Get off and just ride. Each stop sign, we take turns who decides which way to go.

Left? Right? Forward?

We have ended up in Pa, or WV on a few occasions.

Quick Reply: Pick a direction and GO!