General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I stroke my 2008 96" Street Glide? And other motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Can I stroke my 2008 96" Street Glide? And other motor questions

Can I stroke my 2008 Street Glide? I got a friend that has a 2006 Road Glide with a 96" Stroked motor and he keeps telling me I need to stroke my 96". Is that possible? I had read that my bike comes stock stroked.

Another question, I have the stage 1 complete Vance and Hines true duels, air cleaner and programmer. I'm going to be doing cams and lifters soon. Should I do head work or a big bore kit first??? I'm gonna do this one at a time. Which cam?

Old 10-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Boredinnh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 96 is a stroked 88

Old 10-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boredinnh
The 96 is a stroked 88
So the motor is stroked, can it be stroked more or better?
Thanks for replying, I don't know much about motors.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:48 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,645 Likes on 4,632 Posts

When you "stroke" a motor, you increase the length of the connecting rod, and change the crank accordingly. A longer stroke will increase torque, but you do lose piston speed, It is a full engine build kind of thing, and gets expensive. You will wind up with more displacement, which means many other things need to be touched for a good running stroker motor. Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?

Old 10-28-2016, 01:50 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Or you can rub your hand over it, tell it lies and pretend that you care.... Oh wait, that was my ex-girlfriend stroking me, never mind!

The following 3 users liked this post by harleycharlie1992:
Harfar (03-12-2020), soldierbot (03-12-2020), Uncle G. (03-12-2020)
Old 10-28-2016, 02:03 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

missed your second question. Depending on the cam profiles, you may get better results with higher compression, and any improvement to breathing will always provide some HP. So to answer your question, in my opinion, do all of them all at once. Get a matched set of cams, pistons, and that way you know the cams are best with that comp ratio, and depending on bore size. this isn't a piece meal kind of bolt on HP. talk to some people who will ask you questions as to your goals, and riding style. You can spend a ton of money and wind up with a bike that isn't as fast as a lesser sized motor. Call fuel moto and talk with them, they can help you make the best decisions. Exhaust, intake size, air speed velocitys, all play into this be wise.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
When you "stroke" a motor, you increase the length of the connecting rod, and change the crank accordingly. A longer stroke will increase torque, but you do lose piston speed, It is a full engine build kind of thing, and gets expensive. You will wind up with more displacement, which means many other things need to be touched for a good running stroker motor. Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?
So if my bike is already Stroked can it be stroked more? For more power and a faster bike should I do a big bore kit or head work to let the motor breath?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:11 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by Deltyree
So if my bike is already Stroked can it be stroked more? For more power and a faster bike should I do a big bore kit or head work to let the motor breath?
a 96" motor got that way by the factory stroking the 88" motor, and some bore size increases to get to 96". So its a "stroked" 88. But your motoris a 96" and that stroke in the bike is the standard length. So your bike isn't stroked.

Stroke is the distance between bottom dead center to top dead center. the only way you stroke a motor is change that dimension. this involves changing the crankshaft, and pistons. now that you increase stroke, you have also increased displacement, which will (Or should ) mean other changes with the stroker crank. Again, its basicly a complete engine overhaul, plus some

Old 10-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992

Actually, it's just the opposite, you decrease the length of the con rod and increase the distance from the center of the crank to the connecting rod journals. Increasing the length of the connecting rods without shortening the distance on the crank would mean the pistons are now hitting the head.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:17 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

there are many different ways to make your bike faster. How fast is "faster?" do you have some sort of HP goal, "I want a 100 hp bike", but your 100hp bike may not be as fast as a guys 90 hp bike because he builds his speed faster, and gets it down the road more efficiently. When you start this process, all things change. Maintenance changes, repairs come quicker, the weakest link in the driveline will be exposed. (clutch, trans, belt drive, ect) You need to carefully weigh your end results, and choose accordingly. I might suggest a lighter attempt at hp, other than stroking your motor, again talk to Fuel moto, they are very good, or somebody who builds motors, and have a dollar amount that you are ready to spend, then double that figure, and you will have a good estimate as to what all that HP is going to cost in the end run

Quick Reply: Can I stroke my 2008 96" Street Glide? And other motor questions