General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo 595 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down Garmin Zumo 595 Question

I don't know which forum is the appropriate one to pose this question, but I'll try here.

Anyone own one of these? I just got it this week, all the reviews raved about how great it is, how it's built for being viewable in bright sunlight, works with gloves, etc.

1st day out with it, and I am NOT impressed. Feature-wise, it's amazing. But, if I can't see the screen then it's a useless product. The colors aren't vibrant, and there is basically no contrast...making for a product that is feeling like it was a very expensive mistake.

I'm praying that someone knows something that I don't, and can help me. In the sun, it's just about unusable. In the shade, it's a bit better than that...at least I can see what's on the display when it's in the shade.

Here are 2 pictures. The one where you can see the display is in the shade. The other is in the sun.

In the shade

In the sun.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:28 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assume you checked settings for brightness? I have a different model and can adjust that.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

You might try this before scrapping the entire GPS.

Link:
Amazon Amazon

I don't know of anything that will eliminate the glare in every situation, but this might help.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 PM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

Definitely check your adjustments something wrong there

Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

I have the 390LM and yeah, you have to adjust the brightness from factory setting

Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

That's not normal for a Zumo, adjust the brightness. If its brand new, try charging it fully once before using it in the cradle.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM
grouchy
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree with Wowser, get a sun shade ( or make one as I did). Then make sure the GPS mount points the screen directly at your face when you are riding. These two things helped a lot with my Zumo 660. That being said, why don't these motorcycle GPS units have a readable display in the direct sun? Who wouda thought bikers ride in the sun, duh?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 AM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Bright clothing will reflect light. Black or other dark clothing will make it easier to see the screen. I had a Zumo 550 and the visibility issues seem to be a constant complaint regardless of the models. I think the bottom line is that no matter what you do (sun shade, clothing or GPS settings), there will be times when visibility is an issue.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:41 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

My 595 is the only Garmin unit that I've been able to see clearly in direct sunlight. Either you have a defective unit or your display setting needs adjusting.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 AM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AZRenegade
My 595 is the only Garmin unit that I've been able to see clearly in direct sunlight. Either you have a defective unit or your display setting needs adjusting.
All great suggestions. Some feedback. Before I submitted this thread I had already done the following...

1. Set to 100% brightness
2. Set to "motorcycle mode" as the transportation mode.

I agree with most of the suggestions, and I believe I have a defective device. Even when I switch between auto and motorcycle mode, there is absolutely ZERO difference in the brightness. Fully charged or not, I get the some functionality (or lack thereof).

I'll be on the phone with Garmin support in 15 minutes (Monday morning when are open). I'm surprised they don't have weekend support.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo 595 Question