General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Not Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I needed a few gallons last month for my snow blower here in Colorado but I swear I replaced it

The following users liked this post:
Queen-of-Clubs (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I don't care if you are crazy!! You're beautiful too!
You sweet talkin devil! You wouldn't happen to have a twin over here on the East Coast, would you?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:23 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,640 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
You sweet talkin devil! You wouldn't happen to have a twin over here on the East Coast, would you?
I do, but hes the mean one!

Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

A fuel inject Harley has a one way vent in at the cap and a check out at the vent hose that actually is the vent out to the ground usually just in front of the rear wheel. I really do not believe it evaporated. Reason I say this is I smell no gas fumes off mine in my closed garage that is on my house with my bike in there. I had a car that had a drip on a cracked filter where someone had tightened the banjo bolt up a little too tight. It was so small, I liked to never found it till I looked at night with a LED light. It stank my whole garage up with just a few drips of fuel.

If it's fuel injected, if it had a problem, you would have seen it running. It probably would not even idle with a leak that bad.

If it does have a carb, it is possible to run into maiifold, into a cylinder if a valve was opened, leak around the rings and get into sump. Once started, the return side of the oil pump would dump it into the oil. Why I said check fluid levels. Usually Harley carbs have a vent hose coming off them that dumps to outside however. That is why the mother ship put the vacum shutoff on there also along with the manual shutoff that we all forget. I forget to cut it on is my problem on my carb bike. I have a decal on the windshield that says 'Cut the fuel on stupid' Still have forgotten it when someone comes up while I getting ready to ride off..never fails. Why I tell people to leave that vacum switch on there. That is dangerous forgetting the manual one.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-27-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Thank you, my friend.

Now....tell me what's wrong with my bike!!
Its being ridden by a crazy person!

The following users liked this post:
Queen-of-Clubs (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 02:59 PM
NC_Easyrider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never put it past people to siphon for just a few gallons. I live way out in the country here in NC, and both of my neighbors have had gas siphoned from the tanks of their cars/mowers. I haven't had any issues, but then, I'm the guy with 2 100lb dogs, a Harley in the driveway, and I wasn't shy about my gun collection when I moved in. Nicest guy on the street, and everyone crosses the road just to walk past my house... lol.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I haven't taught my boys how to siphon yet...and at 12 and 10, I don't think they are riding without me. At least I hope not....

Thank you RIP. I would never get mad at you and honestly, I forget practically everything if I don't makes notes in my smart phone. Which is why I have an APP that I use when I gas up. I record the mileage, etc. knowing my forgetfulness, I already confirmed it. I will do as you suggest and look for issues underneath.

The only suspects are minors....or neighbors.
Do your boys have friends that ride dirt bikes?

Old 02-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

We only have your word that you're not crazy. Can anyone corroborate your testimony?

Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
A fuel inject Harley has a one way vent in at the cap and a check out at the vent hose that actually is the vent out to the ground usually just in front of the rear wheel. I really do not believe it evaporated.

If it's fuel injected, if it had a problem, you would have seen it running. It probably would not even idle with a leak that bad.
It ran fine and it is FI...It looks like I may have a gas thief.

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Its being ridden by a crazy person!
Quite possibly.....

Originally Posted by NC_Easyrider
Never put it past people to siphon for just a few gallons. I live way out in the country here in NC, and both of my neighbors have had gas siphoned from the tanks of their cars/mowers. I haven't had any issues, but then, I'm the guy with 2 100lb dogs, a Harley in the driveway, and I wasn't shy about my gun collection when I moved in. Nicest guy on the street, and everyone crosses the road just to walk past my house... lol.
I don't think my 9 lb pup is going to discourage anyone. Now that I recall, I didn't have this problem when I had my German Shepherd....anyone have a loaner guard dog?

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
Do your boys have friends that ride dirt bikes?
No. I think I will be buying a game camera.

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
We only have your word that you're not crazy. Can anyone corroborate your testimony?
The last time I was in the sanitarium they assured me that we were fine. I haven't listened to the voices in years.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-28-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

It ran fine and it is FI...It looks like I may have a gas thief.

Quite possibly.....

I don't think my 9 lb pup is going to discourage anyone. Now that I recall, I didn't have this problem when I had my German Shepherd....anyone have a loaner guard dog?
I have 3 westies I would gladly loan out. @22 lbs each they would still be shy of the 100 lb shepard. They do require walking and pampering which is why I am offering to loan them out to you.

Quick Reply: I'm Not Crazy