General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Not Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Wouldn't it just be easier and more peace of mind to just buy a locking gas cap?

Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
I did not use stabilizer. That much will evaporate in a few months?

Are you pulling my leg?? LOL
I only put the fuel stabilizer reference in there to show I was a careful person; it doesn't have anything to do with the evaporation part.
The vents are enough to allow the evaporation. You won't be overcome with the smell of fuel. On the two bikes I mentioned, I store them in mid-May and fire them up again in early November. The fuel is always down the same amount, more or less.
If the fuel were running down into the cylinders, the bikes would be ruined. But since one of them has over 100,000 miles, I think it's okay:-).
Anyway, just think of it as a mystery of science.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_Easyrider
We lovingly refer to the Husky/Malamute mix most frequently as "the *******". He's stubborn, pushy, loud, large, energetic, slightly crazy, smart enough to open doors, and if you don't know him firsthand, intimidating. If my son didn't love him so much I'd not only loan him to you, I'd deliver for free.
Former Husky owner here so if you get tired of him, feel free to drop him off

Originally Posted by Dynamick
I do guard duty on a contract basis.

I've had all my shots, have been dewormed (but not neutered) and am good with kids and other pets. Plus, I even have my own collar.

References available.
Shock collar?

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
Wouldn't it just be easier and more peace of mind to just buy a locking gas cap?
I've never been one to take the easy way....lol.

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
I only put the fuel stabilizer reference in there to show I was a careful person; it doesn't have anything to do with the evaporation part.
The vents are enough to allow the evaporation. You won't be overcome with the smell of fuel. On the two bikes I mentioned, I store them in mid-May and fire them up again in early November. The fuel is always down the same amount, more or less.
If the fuel were running down into the cylinders, the bikes would be ruined. But since one of them has over 100,000 miles, I think it's okay:-).
Anyway, just think of it as a mystery of science.
Thank you Peeps. Where are you riding if yours are in storage during my winter months?

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Hey!!! stand in line mister!!! And don't think for a minute that "collar" gimmick is gonna work!
Calm down Charlie....you're still #1. Even though you apparently come from a line of mean idiots.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-28-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

"Hey chick Take off your oil cap and get a good wiff to see if gas leaked down into your oil."

Wouldn't happen on an EFI bike. Carbed? Maybe. Not sure if Sporties have vacuum operated percoks, but if not & your float is misadjusted...could concieveably happen, but all conditions gotta be right. I'll go with the evaporated theory, however.

"If the fuel were running down into the cylinders, the bikes would be ruined"

No they wouldn't. Just flush the system & change the earl.

Last edited by dickey; 02-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I haven't taught my boys how to siphon yet...and at 12 and 10, I don't think they are riding without me. At least I hope not.

The only suspects are minors....or neighbors.
I was taking Moms car at 9 and my uncles bike by 12 so....

Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

Former Husky owner here so if you get tired of him, feel free to drop him off

Shock collar?

I've never been one to take the easy way....lol.

Thank you Peeps. Where are you riding if yours are in storage during my winter months?
In the late spring, summer, and early fall, I ride in Ohio. The rest of the time, in Arizona. The fuel does evaporate faster in the AZ bikes than the OH bikes.
When I said "the bikes would be ruined", I meant if I rode them with the fuel having cleansed the cylinders of lubrication. I didn't mean automatically ruined. Geesh, this is getting so complicated.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to change my answer. Actually, I am the person who had been siphoning your fuel. I was hoping to convince you that the fuel evaporated so I could continue to siphon without running the risk of getting caught. I think I may have failed. :-).

Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok gentlemen....I sniffed the oil and it smells like gas. Dickey, you say flush and new oil...then what?

And I'm sorry it got complicated Peeps, but it's to late to change your answer. Lol

Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Ok gentlemen....I sniffed the oil and it smells like gas. Dickey, you say flush and new oil...then what?
I would recommend taking a close look at the carburator float and needle valves ....

Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMC22
I would recommend taking a close look at the carburator float and needle valves ....
Thank you. It looks like I'll be taking a trip to the mechanic this week.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,646 Likes on 4,633 Posts

what is your oil level? If the gas drained into the crankcase, which I doubt, the oil level will be substantially higher, If it isn't then the gas more than likely evaporated, as many have suggested. If the oil level is very high, and I mean like a quart high, or more, then it is possible it somehow drained into the case. But fuel injection does not do that, and there is no real path to the crankcase, without an injector sticking open and pressure behind it. It has no needle and seat to allow fuel to run past from sitting. Your oil smells like gas because it hasn't run for a while, and there is some hydrocarbons in the oil, which will burn out as you get a long run in period, as the weather breaks. Changing your oil might not be a bad idea, how long has it been? But dollars to donuts it was just evaporated.

Originally Posted by JMC22
she said that the bike has Fuel injection, thats what I was going by

Quick Reply: I'm Not Crazy