General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all 96CI owners, anyone having idle problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default For all 96CI owners, anyone having idle problems?

Well, Im having my first real problem with my Hog. seems that the idle is very high. The technician in me thinks that there might be vacuum leak. Using alot of fuel very recently. Sounds like the extra fuel being dumped is being caused by the command of the o2 sensors seeing the lean condition. more air plus more fuel = higher engine RPMs.

I have a Check engine light that comes on. When I have the bike in first gear to and try to use the bike to slow the engine down to what sounds like normal idle (essentially using the clutch, trans and back tire as an engine brake), the light goes out. Pull the clutch out, and the idle shoots high again and the C.E.L. light returns. So it seems to me that the code is not a hard code and that the ECU is only detecting a high idle. I have no way to tell if the ECU has stored the code for the C.E.L. The leak has to be somewhere in the intake manifold after the MAF sensor because if it was BEFORE the MAF sensor, then the sensor would see the leak and trigger a hard code for a system lean condition with a C.E.L that never goes out.

So, I have to ask if anyone else here that owns a TC 96 engine has had any problems like this yet? This issue started about a week ago off and on, but now its really bad. If you have, do you have a stage 1 done to it? If so, have you had any hassles with warranty? I have a Stage one done to mine (S.E. intake, VandH Big Shots, SERT running a richend pre canned map).

To top it off, all the days that I have off (Sun and Mon) just happen to be the days that ALL the Harley Service shops in SoCal are CLOSED. ARRRGH!!

Anyone?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: For all 96CI owners, anyone having idle problems?

No problems yet, but I'll be waiting.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

IM going to call the shop tomorrow and try to get her in ASAP. This crap has me freakin out. If its dumping as much fuel as I think it is, Im worried about all that extra fuel washing my cylinders down!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 AM
gunner065
Road Captain

No problems here. Hoping against hope that I don't. It is abvious it is causing heart ache, maybe bring it to your dealer and have them take a look.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain

Not sure about the harley fuel injection system, but on automobiles if the 02 sensor malfunctions the system automatically fails in the richposition to prevent burning up the cylinders....A classic symptom of a 02 sensor going bad is the gas mileage going down quite abit.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:42 AM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To top it off, all the days that I have off (Sun and Mon) just happen to be the days that ALL the Harley Service shops in SoCal are CLOSED. ARRRGH!!
Skip Fordyce Harley in Riverside's service dept. is open on Saturday. That's not too far from where you are.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on my 3rd 96cu, haven had that problem yet. Let us know what you find out. YOu could contact Latus H-D online and ask Mike what the problem might be.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

5500 miles since mid June .. no issues yet

Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 AM
rtb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The set screw for the throttle plate can loosen and cause a high idle problem. If indeed it is loose and has to be re-adjusted, make sure the technition sets the Throttle Postion Sensor and Idle Air Control correctly. If not adjusted correctly your bike will run like crap.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same issue and the shop couldn't get it squared away. I had it Dyno'd to tune it in and I no longer have the problem.

Quick Reply: For all 96CI owners, anyone having idle problems?