General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! Bike was puking gas out of tank...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:26 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need help! Bike was puking gas out of tank...

This morning I was meeting up with a few guys from the site for a sunday ride. I filled my tank right before we left. When I stood my bike up to leave from where we had been parked it started leaking gas from the crossover on the right hand side and out of the overflow by the swingarm. I took off the cap and it(gas) started pouring out of the tank. I let the gas finish overflowing, sat for a minute and started it up. It seemed fine so away we went. As we pulled into the street my bike started to stall when I gave it gas. It is a fuel injected fatboy 2002 by the way. It died and I had to crank it a few times to get it started again. Each time I started it I was met by the same result. I pulled over to the side of the road and sat for a minute. We decided to try to limp it to the dealer, not even sure if the service dept was open. After about 5 minutes of limping it it began to run normal again as if there had never been a problem. I talked to the parts guy at the dealer who said to check the vent line as it may be clogged. I diconnected the vent line and tryed to blow into it but it seems it is kinked or clogged. Could all of this trouble be caused by that? In the manual it is called the continuous venting system vent line. Our other thoughts were possibly the fule filter as the bike has just about 25K on it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

One more thing. Is it possible to attempt to unclog the vent tube without removing the tank? I really don't wanna have to drain the tank. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need help! Bike was puking gas out of tank...

- sounds like some kind of fuel starvation issue.

- the next time that it happens , open your filler-cap. If the
engine brightens right up , you'll need to see what is causing
the vacuum.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vent tube is under your console on top of the tank.Take the console off and the vent tube is right there. Just pull it off the hose connector.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:51 PM
anubisss
Banned

I have already done that and I tried to clear the vent hose by blowing through it but it seemed clogged. So what is my next step?Taking off the entire vent line and unclogging it by hand, right?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know exactly what yours looks like, but you might disconnect it at the top, tie a string to the top of the tube, then pull it through from below. After you have cleaned or replaced the tube you will have a way to fish it back up.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 PM
anubisss
Banned

Thanks so far. Bump...

Old 12-23-2007, 09:41 PM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't some of the bikes have a leaky fuelline in the tank? It was a pressurized line that rubbed and ended up with a hole in it causing the fuel to spray in the tank......?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:44 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny you mentioned this. Was just talking to a friend this morning who rides a '00 Springer Heritage. Was pouring gas on the road for a while. Turns out a check valve in the fuel system was bad. I don't have the details, but a good HD tech may be familiar with this. Could be a good question for them.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:20 PM
darkside
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you said it leaked fuel from that line It might be slightly clogged or the check valve is hanging up but it's working to some extent.You should be able to blow through it from the tank side of the hose.If you cant pull the check valve and blow through the hose and see if it's the hose or the check valve.It is a one way valve so make sure you don't install it upside down( is it upside down now?).

I would definitely check your crossover hose though as it should never leak from there.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: daconiam

Didn't some of the bikes have a leaky fuelline in the tank? It was a pressurized line that rubbed and ended up with a hole in it causing the fuel to spray in the tank......?

A friend of mine had this same problem on his 03 Ultra... Might be something to look into.

Quick Reply: Need help! Bike was puking gas out of tank...