General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Hiking Boots OK to use for riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Hiking Boots OK to use for riding?

I have been reading a couple threads on boots and I don't want to hijack them, but I'd really like to know a little more about boots. When I took the MSF class, I had to wear "over the ankle" boots for the range work, and I looked at the HD Boots, but I felt they were A) Too Heavy and B) Too Bulky. I stopped at Sports Authority and picked up a nice pair of Cordura/leather hiking boots. They passed the MSF inspection - I think anything better than tennis shoes would probably pass that inspection.

I know the hiking boots probably don't have the oil resistant soles like riding boots do. The hiking boots I have are also much shorter than ones I'm seeing from the other threads (like the red wings, HDs, Crusaders,etc) and they pretty much just cover the ankle. They are much lighter and I like that a lot. Do I really need a higher boot? Is just overthe ankle OK? Are hiking boots providing enough protection (if I need it).

My cousin is an ex-LEO and many times he showed me someof the "gadgets" he bought at some LE store. I rememberseeing some very high quality gloves and stuff, and I was thinking about getting the address of the place and checking out thier gloves and boots. Any opinion if this is a good idea for riding? I figure Police/Tactical boots and gloves are probably very good.

I like to spare no expensive for safety, and remember Chrome is safety too!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Are Hiking Boots OK to use for riding?

Hiking boots, HMMMM. Guess that all depends on how far away from home you are when your ride takes a chit and then, how many times does it take a chit on ya. Guess you'd want "hiking" boots if you're "hiking" a long way home. JMFUO
My hiking boots are too "stiff" in the ankle area to be comfy on the bike.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear flip flops so my toes can breath better

Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
harleydude68
Road Master

Work boots, hiking boots, HD boots?? Wear what's comfortable. I would have to say comfort and make sure the soles will grip the ground at a stop so your foot doesn't slip causing you to have an embarrasing moment. [sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
harleydude68
Road Master

ORIGINAL: CoyoteJoe

I have been reading a couple threads on boots and I don't want to hijack them, but I'd really like to know a little more about boots. When I took the MSF class, I had to wear "over the ankle" boots for the range work, and I looked at the HD Boots, but I felt they were A) Too Heavy and B) Too Bulky. I stopped at Sports Authority and picked up a nice pair of Cordura/leather hiking boots. They passed the MSF inspection - I think anything better than tennis shoes would probably pass that inspection.

I know the hiking boots probably don't have the oil resistant soles like riding boots do. The hiking boots I have are also much shorter than ones I'm seeing from the other threads (like the red wings, HDs, Crusaders,etc) and they pretty much just cover the ankle. They are much lighter and I like that a lot. Do I really need a higher boot? Is just overthe ankle OK? Are hiking boots providing enough protection (if I need it).

My cousin is an ex-LEO and many times he showed me someof the "gadgets" he bought at some LE store. I rememberseeing some very high quality gloves and stuff, and I was thinking about getting the address of the place and checking out thier gloves and boots. Any opinion if this is a good idea for riding? I figure Police/Tactical boots and gloves are probably very good.

I like to spare no expensive for safety, and remember Chrome is safety too!
Chrome boots - Novel idea [sm=signs007.gif]

Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 AM
cmas06
Road Captain

i was an avid hiker and quality hiking boots are probably much more stable than a riding boot unless u get into a racing boot or a LEO boot, the over the ankle thing is about tieing your ankle into the staingth ( spelling challenged) lol of your calf muscle making your ankle more stable.
personally i prefer over the ankle makes a muchbetter feel of control just my 2 cents and ive been wrong many times

Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I figured as long as they cover my ankles, and have a decent thread pattern on them and sticky enough for the road I should be OK, but I read a article on riding boots comparisons and I was overwhemed with information.

My hiking boots definately aren't good for manhole covers in the rain - I almost lost it the first time I stopped by one, but I'm much more careful about that now. Would riding boots have better traction on things like manhole covers?

Honesty, most of the time I'm riding with my black New Balance gym shoes, cause thats whats on my feet when I jump on the bike! Seriously, I'm thinking more about preparing for rides and dressing appropriately, I guess thats what happens when you can't ride because of all the d*m snow!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the link below. There's all kinds of choices available.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...c=11&s=364

Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
gee tee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for riding.

Maybe not so good for falling off!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I wear a "swat team styled" boot. I love them.
Only time I ever had a near miss with them was at a gas station pulling up to a tank with some cold-numbed legs and a puddle of gas..

Slippery, slippery. I was doing a one legged riverdance for a second to keep the bike up.
Antifreeze can be a little slick too.

But to answer your question, if it's comfortable and over the ankle it's probably a decent riding boot.

Quick Reply: Are Hiking Boots OK to use for riding?