General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift

i have been looking at this forum for a while now and had to put in my two cents worth.i can't beleave a group of supposed "real biker" types dont know there ain't no such thing as a suicide shift. the shifters mounted on the gass tank or abreveated to a stick on the tranny top were called Jockey shifter or just hand shift. these worked in conjunction with a foot clutch or rocker clutch. these were common on a lot of early harleys, indians, and others. as these clutches left the factory they would stay in the engaged or disengaged position depending on the position of the rocker. the term "suicide clutch" came about when these clutches were modified so they had to be held in the disengaged position like an automobile clutch. the h ot dogs probably thought this was cool, but if you had to stop and didn't get the bike in neutral and it leaned to the left as you stopped well..... get the picture? i just get irritated when i hear knowlledgeable people use the tern "suicide shift" thanks for letting an old fart vent a little.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift

I think it's funny.
those that know - know
the heck with the stupid ones

kickstart- the hand jammin - pan

Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL. In 1955 I bought a '52 Pan. Who said we don't know ???????

Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,690 Likes on 4,079 Posts

The old urban legend I heard was... You're at a stop, bikes leans too far to the side, foot instinctively comes off the clutch, the bike lurches a couple times into the middle of the intersection and dies, truck is coming through with the green light wherein the passenger says to the driver, "What the foo! Is that biker trying to commit suicide?" [][]

Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: larry harding

i have been looking at this forum for a while now and had to put in my two cents worth.i can't beleave a group of supposed "real biker" types dont know there ain't no such thing as a suicide shift.
Real biker types? there are no "real Bikers" on this forum! these are all Harley Owners... they think suicide shifter means taking your hand off the controls to change the station on there GPS/SAT radio ipod player and then taking a drink from there gyroscopic coffee cup holders... all while sitting at a red light!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

oh we know...got an old pan took the "jockey" off,put a "mousetrap" on there,my cordination aint's as good as it once was.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I guess this forum lends itself to all types, I'm going on 50 yrs riding and could really give a hoot what you call something as long as there is comprehension. "Suicide clutch/shift", any old fart can understand either! I prefer "clutch",but won't rent my shirt if someone uses "shift". I'm not so old that my brain has ceased to function.
Kicker, "hand clutch", hard tail(rigid to you in Rio Lynda) see below

Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
KSCruiser
Banned

Welcome to the forum Larry.Blame it on the bike builder shows...that's usually whatI've seen themrefer to it as. Would like to see some pics of the 42 knuc you have listed in your profile.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
61panhead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Well I guess this forum lends itself to all types, I'm going on 50 yrs riding and could really give a hoot what you call something as long as there is comprehension. "Suicide clutch/shift", any old fart can understand either! I prefer "clutch",but won't rent my shirt if someone uses "shift". I'm not so old that my brain has ceased to function.
Kicker, "hand clutch", hard tail(rigid to you in Rio Lynda) see below

DeJavu, that beautiful red chop is my cup of tea.
Pics look awesome. I'd love to see it up close and personal.
Congrats on such a fine looking scoot.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I had a 49 Pan that had the foot clucth,it just sounds cooler to say suicide clutch.More people seem to know the term,maybe it is because of tv.

Quick Reply: biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift