General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing your bike at car wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 PM
green mnm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing your bike at car wash

do you wash your bike at the car wash?

if you do, how long do you let it cool off befoe washing?
or do you wash your bike with it running?
I mean its okay to ride in the rain, would it be okay to wash it while it
was still running?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: washing your bike at car wash

Good way to get water in your wheel bearings, at least on the older models. Not sure about the newer ones with the sealed bearings.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way too much water pressure, especially for electrical stuff.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did it with my last harley about a dozen times. Have done it with the 07 once in 12,000 miles. Never hit it with the high pressure in what I feel is delicate areas. But it's great for getting the grime and dirt off the hard to reach places. Bike is usually warm but not hot. Car wash is close to home. Use common sense.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've done this hundreds of times, without ever a problem. When I pull in, no matter how long I've ridden or how hot the motor is, I usually start off spraying the fenders first. Then the tires and wheels. I like to get in close and really spray the spoke area of the wheels. Then I usually spray the sides and exhaust. By then, the motor is cooled off enough to not hurt anything. But I don't use high pressure on the heads. Only on the side cases where there may be some grime. Lower pressure on the heads. About the only thing I don't spray directly on is the seat. It gets wet enough.

I've never had a problem w/ wheel bearings, even on older bikes (pre-1980).

Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: green mnm

do you wash your bike at the car wash?

if you do, how long do you let it cool off befoe washing?
or do you wash your bike with it running?
I mean its okay to ride in the rain, would it be okay to wash it while it
was still running?
Running is a big no!
The suction from the engine intake could wash in a good gulp of water. Air is compressible, water isn't. The net result is a broken piston, at best.
I let it cool for about five minutes, to cut down the steam and let anyway the brakes cool down. Then I spray the rinse water on the hot parts to cool them down. Do not use soapy water or it will leave a godawful mess on the hot parts.
When it stops steaming, cool it down a bit more, then soap. Be very thorough on the bike bottom and aluminum parts, especially if you rode during winter. Salt can make a mess of your aluminum. Aluminum doesn't rust, but is very susceptible to alkaline corrosion.
Then rinse again, with the demineralized (osmotized) water if the car wash has it.
DO NOT use the rim cleaning fluid, as it's strongly alkaline (or acid, depending on composition) and again can and will mess up your aluminum.
DO NOT use the high-pressure jet, use only the low pressure one, and from at least 3-4 feet away, as it can penetrate the contacts and switches, damaging your electric plant. Switches and contacts are made to withstand water spray and splashes, not a high pressure jet. There is no problem at all using a waterjet cleaner, provided you use the low pressure jet and/or use it from such a distance that you have a water mist or gentle spray on the bike, and not a direct jet impacting it.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

I've done this hundreds of times, without ever a problem. When I pull in, no matter how long I've ridden or how hot the motor is, I usually start off spraying the fenders first. Then the tires and wheels. I like to get in close and really spray the spoke area of the wheels. Then I usually spray the sides and exhaust. By then, the motor is cooled off enough to not hurt anything. But I don't use high pressure on the heads. Only on the side cases where there may be some grime. Lower pressure on the heads. About the only thing I don't spray directly on is the seat. It gets wet enough.

I've never had a problem w/ wheel bearings, even on older bikes (pre-1980).
Be VERY careful there near the spokes. With cast or machined rims, no problem, but with laced rims, if you use high pressure water could penetrate the rim. The tire can get quite hot in long rides, or if you really push the envelope, and water can make the internal pressure of the tire rise a lot, reducing grip or even, in the most extreme case, facilitating a blown tire.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

done it with all my bikes thru the years . keep the pressure off the wheel bearings and eletric's.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saved too long and paid too much to take a chance - good old hose, bucket, spongue and a buff and shine does it for me with a leaf blower to dry it off first. Anyway what better way (apart from riding) to spend a bit of time on a nice daythan tarting up your scoot being interuptedonly by the wife bringing afew cans of the amber nector to quench the thirst!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52
Anyway what better way (apart from riding) to spend a bit of time on a nice daythan tarting up your scoot being interuptedonly by the wife bringing afew cans of the amber nector to quench the thirst!
Where can I get a wife like that?? I say "Bitch! Bring me a beer!" and nothing. Hmmmm, must not have heard me.

Oh and +1 on washing the bike at home bucket and hose always cooled down and NOT running. Did that yesterday she's lookin' good today!

Quick Reply: washing your bike at car wash